? to CMSF Play testers

Bulldog

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I spend the 3 years I have been working on the game getting the BASIC functions of the game to work. If I have to release it early atleast it will work. Later I add the bells and whistles.

BZZZT!

Dodging the question. Despite your best efforts and best intentions, you don't have "SgtGoody Mission: Esquire" on release day - you have "CplGoody Mission: Gardener".

What do you do? smile.gif

-dale </font>

Originally posted by Patrocles:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I spend the 3 years I have been working on the game getting the BASIC functions of the game to work. If I have to release it early atleast it will work. Later I add the bells and whistles.

BZZZT!

Dodging the question. Despite your best efforts and best intentions, you don't have "SgtGoody Mission: Esquire" on release day - you have "CplGoody Mission: Gardener".

What do you do? smile.gif

-dale </font>

Sorry for all the trouble guys, So basically either the Beta testers knew about the path finding glitch and ignored it, or BFC igored it.

Anyways I'm still looking forward to the release of 1.04 b/c I know they will fix it. I would have glady waited an extra year for the polished version instead of this.. and the better reviews would have sold more copies in the end.. BFC why so silent on thus thred?? Beta testers for CMSF where are you? Speak up and gain some of our respect back!!!

I, a beta tester, have been in these types of threads before. They are tiresome because there is ignorance at one side of the debate and a NDA at the other.

BFC too have already participated in similar threads, to explain as clear as they can what happened. But they aren't obliged to retread the same thing every week or so.

You want them to speak up to earn your respect? Do a search, and earn mine.

I was a beta tester for a squad level tactical wargame a few years ago. We found numerous gameplay issues and were assured they would be addressed. I had signed an NDA that was pretty ironclad. The developers released the game despite having major gameplay issues and we beta testers were crucified as having failed the community. I will never beta test again. I don't blame the community. I mostly blame the developers.

The lesson is not to sign an NDA for beta testing unless you trust the developers are going to deliver a decent product. Not following that guideline, you take your chances and take your risks. If you think a company is not listening to you or is in a contractual bind, you better bail if you don't want to be associated with the company and the product. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Developers exploit the enthusiasm of their fan base through the beta test system. There are many games out there where I have said to myself that beta testers should have seen the problem. More times than not, they probably did. Developers are 100% to blame for releasing product prematurely. But beta testers do not get off scot free. There is guilt by association, that is part of the price to pay. If you aren't ready for that, don't sign the NDA.

I worked for a large factory automation company that produced some of the most complicated SW in the world to run machines and factories. Great expense was made for legal agreements that went both ways for beta testing. Product was not released until all beta testers got to sign off on it. I have always been amazed that gaming beta testing is so one-sided.

a vague sort of reference that lets your client base know but doesn't get you sued
Well there is the disclaimer encouraging everyone to try the demo before buying.

As for the release date, I have a feeling the choice may have been release or be sued for breech of contract and likely put out of business (than no CMx2 ever).