Testers needed for map converter

I'm about to download this nifty utility now, but one design idea (if possible):

An interface to ask the user how they would like the program to handle odd/unmatched terrain tiles:

How to handle these tiles:

From (old) --> To (new)

Steppe --> (list menu with open, wheatfield, etc)

etc...

I think that's pretty self-explanatory, but I can elaborate if needed. smile.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Pyewacket:

I wrote a programm and I am curious if it runs on other pc's. Is there anybody interested in testing an app (around 100 KB)?

The app should be able to convert CMAK maps in CMBB maps or battle in scenario maps and vice versa.

If there's someone interested I would like to email the exe file.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds awesome, please send to wwb@3dwargamer.net.

BTW, you would not happen to need a place to host said application?

WWB

Originally posted by Sergei:

Well it doesn't seem to be memory related, because now I could copy a huge operation map... I just can't figure why sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes just throws in a run-time error.

I figured this out now. If the mouse cursor is positioned over the map in the editor before I switch back to the Converter, it works fine. But if the cursor is positioned over the editor palette, then the Converter gives an error. But maybe this is just my system (WinXP, Nvidia).

I figured this out now. If the mouse cursor is positioned over the map in the editor before I switch back to the Converter, it works fine. But if the cursor is positioned over the editor palette, then the Converter gives an error. But maybe this is just my system (WinXP, Nvidia).

I checked this and you're right!! Thanks very much..

I'll include this tip in the instruction in the next version (unfortunately there's nothing what I can code to prevent this, so you have to put the mouse over the map....)

Wonderful..I am speechless. This is the best add-on since ...well uhm... patch 1.12 for CMBO came out :rolleyes:

I just managed to convert an unplayable CMAK operation into a wonderful scenario within 2 minutes. Unbelievable!

1st request: CMBO conversion, if possible.

2nd. request: inverse orientation of map

Why the 2nd. request?

Just imagine you have created a great historical map for purpose of importing it in your Quick Battles in order to find out that the QB generator forces you to have the Germans coming from the West, while they should actually come

from the East. :mad:

Great work Pyewacket...didn't see the movie though

Thanks for the nice comments. So far I can say CMBO is possible. Desertfox and I worked the last week for this CMBO version and it looks good.

I like your proposals (user selection of tiles, inverse ...seems challenging)

Unfortunately my harddisk crashed..so I need some time to rewrite (not all) some lines of code. btw. is there someone working for Maxtor? I need a new controller PCB (printed circuit board). They don't sell it ... so... just an idea smile.gif

The bad thing is that I lost all of my emails including these from the testers. Just want to say thank you on this way...

Here's another test round (version 1.24):

- Help file included (I recommend to read this)

- CMAK/CMBB versions (CDV/Battlefront) are detected automatically

- CMBO (German (CDV I think) and US Version) included

- A way to manipulate the convertion schemes (read the manual for this)

What I would like to ask for is, could someone test or try to manipulate the conversion files? I mean not only changing something but tell me if it is understandable (see help file) how to change the files...

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I tried my hand at editing the conversion tables. I was converting my old vineyard maps. The used bocage for vineyards, so I edited the table to replace BO bocage with AK vineyards.

Worked like a charm.

There was a bit of confusion, but I guessed correctly the first try. Each line is the same length... regardless of what it looks like. In BO as you get further down, the lines get shorter, but for conversion, the extra spaces are null and must be counted.

Question: If the number before the brackets determines the target tile, and the number in the bracket is just a reminder, would something like this work...

0(clear)

21(marsh)

'0(clear)

21(marsh)'

Yes this would work, because the information is before the bracket (nothing more is read..)

' In BO as you get further down, the lines get shorter, but for conversion, the extra spaces are null and must be counted.'

Do you mean this?

782(702);(x=15 ;y=44)

783(703);(x=16 ;y=44)

(704);(x=1 ;y=45)

(705);(x=2 ;y=45)

It means nothing more that in CMBO there are only 703 (or better: 704) tiles. I just made a procedure (in excel where I made the tables for the conversions) with which saved a fixed number of tiles. I took the number 815 because I was too lazy to count the maximum amount of tiles (which is in CMAK): I took the same procedure for all three CM versions. So in short: in CMBO after line 704, means in brackets (703) there's no useful information, because there are no more tiles in CMBO.

In BO as you get further down, the lines get shorter, but for conversion, the extra spaces are null and must be counted.'

Do you mean this?

782(702);(x=15 ;y=44)

783(703);(x=16 ;y=44)

(704);(x=1 ;y=45)

(705);(x=2 ;y=45)

It means nothing more that in CMBO there are only 703 (or better: 704) tiles. I just made a procedure (in excel where I made the tables for the conversions) with which saved a fixed number of tiles. I took the number 815 because I was too lazy to count the maximum amount of tiles (which is in CMAK): I took the same procedure for all three CM versions. So in short: in CMBO after line 704, means in brackets (703) there's no useful information, because there are no more tiles in CMBO.

What I mean by null spaces is best seen in the first row in CMBO. The first row consists of 16 tiles numbered 0-15. However, one of those is not a terrain tile, but it is still counted. If you look at the rows of roads in pine forest, those rows have less than 16 terrain tiles each, but they are counted as if they do. Thus, in CMBO, each row is 16 tiles wide, regardless of whether or not each 'space' is used

Berlichtingen: you're right and this is maybe confusing. But it's easier to count the tiles when you say that every line has 16 tiles ...

I should include that in the help file.

I agree completely, which is why I tried that first... I wasn't looking forward to counting only the terrain tiles smile.gif

Can I use this to import (copy) an existing map into a scenario file in the same program (e.g. read from CMBB, load another scenario in CMBB, write to CMBB)?

It would be useful in ROQC. I have been stuck with using random maps as I use the scenario file to keep the core force, and I can't import a map into this scenario file in the editor.

[ August 10, 2004, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

'Can I use this to import (copy) an existing map into a scenario file in the same program (e.g. read from CMBB, load another scenario in CMBB, write to CMBB)?'

should work.

The app does nothing more than copying any Terrain, Setup zone and Elevation data. The unit you have selected won't be touched. So if you first read the terrain of the scenario and then write that to the 'unit' scenario it should work...