Equipment

I'm not sure if this thread has been started yet but I've noticed that the US army are using M203s and they're wearing UCP when they've implemented the OCP uniforms and they're using M320 grenade launchers. Are you guys going to actually change that or will it be left the same?

4 hours ago, Nalopeon said:

I'm not sure if this thread has been started yet but I've noticed that the US army are using M203s and they're wearing UCP when they've implemented the OCP uniforms and they're using M320 grenade launchers. Are you guys going to actually change that or will it be left the same?

Shock Force 2 takes place during the Summer of 2008, which is 7 years before the US Army officially adopted Scorpion OCP. Certain units that deployed to Afghanistan started to be issued OCP around 2010 (Rangers mostly) and then regular Army units later on, sometime around 2012. UCP was the standard camo for the Army during 2008. 

The same goes for the M203. The M320 wasn't adopted until after 2010, again at least 2 years after Shock Force 2 takes place. 

5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Shock Force 2 takes place during the Summer of 2008, which is 7 years before the US Army officially adopted Scorpion OCP. Certain units that deployed to Afghanistan started to be issued OCP around 2010 (Rangers mostly) and then regular Army units later on, sometime around 2012. UCP was the standard camo for the Army during 2008. 

The same goes for the M203. The M320 wasn't adopted until after 2010, again at least 2 years after Shock Force 2 takes place. 

Thats understandable but if you use the marines they all have them instead of the 203 thats why im scratching my head

3 hours ago, Nalopeon said:

Thats understandable but if you use the marines they all have them instead of the 203 thats why im scratching my head

The Marines have 2 options for grenade launchers. One is the M203 under their M16s, and the other is the handheld M32. The M32 is different than the handheld variant of the M320. It has a revolving cylinder of grenades whereas the M320 in handheld is still only 1 shot, similar to the M73 "thumper" infamous from Vietnam. 

The M32 was a weapons project that was adopted, and then abandoned by the Marines exclusively. The Army never bothered with them. The reason they are in the game is because at the time the game was being developed, the Marines were supposed to be incorporating the M32's into their inventory. It was only after the Marines module came out for SF1 that the Marines in real life canned the requisition. In the editor, you can choose to select between the M203s, M32s, or a mix. I usually select all M203's as it is more realistic, but the M32s can be a lot of fun to play around with. 

You will also note Army units aren't carrying M4A1 carbine but M4. I was noticing just a few moments ago how in close-in urban fighting Army units are restricted to 3 round bursts, no full auto option. In CMBS (2017 timeframe) Army units carry M4A1. This title definitely is set a decade ago.

12 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

The Canadian Forces LBE seems to be a bit out of date. While the OD pattern was in use in the early 2000s, Afghanistan drove the development of new kit.

This is what seems to be in game

20170328_195226.jpg

This is what I was issued for roto
77.jpg

Here's the temperate LBE over the arid frag vest

JXJFh1l.jpg?1&hash=f6dc8b86d76bf04c0f668

Looks like material for a good mod! Anyone?

Smash, out!

1 hour ago, Nalopeon said:

I seen this but it shows the option for the m203 but its textured as a M320 for the marines maybe its a mistake from the dev team im not sure but if you check the Semper Fi Syria the first mission has the marines with M320s

That's probably a minor UI glitch. I can assure you both the M16 and the M4 in game use the M203, which is what they are supposed to be using in 2008.

If you want to use the M320, it's in Black Sea, which takes place in 2017. 

On 12/7/2018 at 9:12 PM, IICptMillerII said:

That's probably a minor UI glitch. I can assure you both the M16 and the M4 in game use the M203, which is what they are supposed to be using in 2008.

If you want to use the M320, it's in Black Sea, which takes place in 2017. 

I figured as such, I was about going to be extremely salty if they just made it for a few units lol

29 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

@Dougphresh Imagine it this way. They used all the new kit they had in Afghanistan and when Syria blew up the old kit had to be used. :)

But as Lt Smash indicated it would be a good mod subject.

I can agree a up to date mod would be nice in which the marines would have M27 IAR, army using M320 with multicam, the british using MTP with their new L85A3 maybe even if the Devs add a CIF section for army and Marsoc for marines etc etc.

On December 7, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Nalopeon said:

I seen this but it shows the option for the m203 but its textured as a M320 for the marines maybe its a mistake from the dev team im not sure but if you check the Semper Fi Syria the first mission has the marines with M320s

Ok, I'm gonna risk sounding as ignorant as all getup, but what are the differences between a 203 and a 320 that are so apparent? The grenadiers in the rifle platoon I was attached to in 1976 had the M203. Before that the Grenadiers had the M79 "Blooper" ( perhaps the Army had a different designation and nickname for it). It was actually quite useful for us. Everyone thinks of the 40mm HE round, but we also had flechette, beehive, buckshot, smoke (WP), and probably CS gas. The UI in campaign mission designates them as M203.

On December 7, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Nalopeon said:

I went into "Marines; A Day at the Beach," and the first mission of Semper Fi. In both cases, I zoomed on Grenadiers, and in both cases they have the texture for M-203s. The trigger for the launcher is just in front of the magazine. That is so the Grenadier can use the magazine as a hand grip while aiming and firing.

1 hour ago, Vet 0369 said:

I went into "Marines; A Day at the Beach," and the first mission of Semper Fi. In both cases, I zoomed on Grenadiers, and in both cases they have the texture for M-203s. The trigger for the launcher is just in front of the magazine. That is so the Grenadier can use the magazine as a hand grip while aiming and firing.

I did more research on it and its only the Recon marines the Asst. has the M4 w/ M320s every other unit has the 203

4 hours ago, Nalopeon said:

I did more research on it and its only the Recon marines the Asst. has the M4 w/ M320s every other unit has the 203

You are indeed correct! I checked CMSF2 "Day at the Beach" again  (after the infantry landed), and only the Engineers have the M-203. Each Infantry Fireteam Leader (Asst Ldr) I checked had the M32. None of the other Fireteam members have a GL. In the first mission of the CMSF2 "Semper Fi" campaign, (I haven't progressed beyond it for the next mission that has Infantry Riflemen, but in CMSF1, each Rifle Fireteam Leader has an M32), each Recon Asst Ldr has an M-302. This is not correct. The M-302 was in the development phase and hadn't even been issued to the Army yet, and the Marine Infantry NEVER receive a joint forces weapon before the Army!

That was a good catch on your part. Honestly, I never zoom in that close. As far as I'm, concerned, a GL is a GL unless it's an M32. In the first mission of CMSF1 Semper Fi, the recon have the correct M-203 GL, and the Fireteam leaders have the M32, so apparently, it was changed when the "Semper Fi" campaign was redone for CMSF2.

What I see as the more glaring inconsistency (error) is that when I zoomed in to look at  the GL in CMSF2 A Day at the Beach, all of the initial Engineer and FO landing party are wearing SUNGLASSES at 0550! How are they going to spot any defenses wearing sunglasses in the dark? That is of course, unless 0550 is already after sunrise, but it sure looks pretty dark still to me. At least in the first mission of Semper Fi in CMSF2, the Recon and FOs are wearing NVGs.

Edited by Vet 0369