Plans for new engine?

If the matter was already discussed, sorry for littering the forum. I did try to find a similar topic or a response from BF but couldn't find anything.

Does BF consider moving to a completely new game engine, either using an already existing one from another company or creating a new one from scratch? If so, has any research been done by BF in this area?

Obviously i'am a fan of CM games, otherwise i wouldn't bother asking. I support BF as much as i can, i know that BF is a very small, even tiny company, doing everything on their own and staying fully independent but i also have the feeling that the franchise came up againts a brick wall (hope i used that idiom right...).

From my point of view, the game engine has run it's course and nothing more major can be achived using it. And i'am not talking about the graphics or animations but about the AI, lack of dynamic campaign system or having more control over units (like ability to attack more than one target without having to move).

I really would like to see the CM games evolve. The engine upgrades are obviously a welcome adition but i see them as minor changes, although i i'am fully aware that you're putting many hours of work to make them. And that's another issue. Being such a small company means that everything take so much time to make (like planned modules for FI, RT and FB or even patches) but obviously, that's not your fault.

So to sum up, does BF have plans for making CM something bigger than we have today or should we expect to receive more of the same in the comming years?

Please don't take this post as a critique, cause it's not. I'll further support BF within my abilities.

45 minutes ago, Jane's said:

Does BF consider moving to a completely new game engine, either using an already existing one from another company or creating a new one from scratch? If so, has any research been done by BF in this area?

A new engine—CMx3—has been mentioned as under development. My impression is that for the present time it is something programmer Charles works on when there is nothing more urgent at hand. If that is the case, it might be years before it appears. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Michael

I don't think there is any problem with asking the question @Jane's but I would not expect a reply.  Any decision like that would (if CMSF original and the way they announced even CMFI is any indication) be well along before they'd utter a sound about it.  Gaming world competition and all that being what it is.

1 hour ago, Jane's said:

So to sum up, does BF have plans for making CM something bigger than we have today or should we expect to receive more of the same in the comming years?  

Steve from BFC said the below which I'm paraphrasing: 

Eventually we will have a new game engine.  Obviously it will be written with contemporary technology in mind and won't be OpenGL as we view it as a dead end.  It will also benefit from 20 years of experience with how best to simulate tactical warfare on a computer.  It's only a matter of when, not if.   

Link to full statement below:

3 hours ago, Jane's said:

having more control over units (like ability to attack more than one target without having to move).

I agree with your post, but this bit is actually just an interface thing that could relatively easily be added to the existing engine.

But yes, new engine please. Not asking for the moon on a stick, but something that will take the series forward as much as the leap from CM1 to CM2 would be great.