Electronic warfare in CMSF2

First, thank you very much for this feature inclusion !!!

I wasn't sure this will be included. My initial guess was that it was for CMBS only. I have now seen the parameters in the editor.

keQLJ.jpg

Reading the manual, I assume putting a value like Medium or Strong will prevent the radio triggerman to fire its IED. Am I correct?

1 minute ago, domfluff said:

Yup, but we won't know whether electronic warfare affects cell IED's without the new manual.

Also, I wonder if the Warrior's IED jamming tech will be a little more obvious now, since there's the "Deploy Weapon"-like messages in the latest engines. 

I doubt that 'deploy weapon' applies. The ECM fit does not 'deploy' it is fixed permanently on the wagons and activating it via a 'deploy weapon' dialogue would be like having to click 'deploy weapon' to switch on a radio. In game the ECM fit is functioning all of the time and should degrade phone and radio controlled IEDs.

Sure, but I meant whether you get a visual cue that it's activated - you don't in CMSF1, obviously, but with the later engine versions you get more information about various things - a message pops up when an aircraft has been shot down by a SAM, when an auto-deploying weapon is going to be deployed at the end of a move, etc.

I wonder if we'll get an "IED jammed" message? That's probably testable with the demo - I intentionally haven't looked at the red side of Breaking the Bank, but the briefing does mention IEDs, and that scenario has Warriors.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:58 AM, domfluff said:

Sure, but I meant whether you get a visual cue that it's activated - you don't in CMSF1, obviously, but with the later engine versions you get more information about various things - a message pops up when an aircraft has been shot down by a SAM, when an auto-deploying weapon is going to be deployed at the end of a move, etc.

I wonder if we'll get an "IED jammed" message? That's probably testable with the demo - I intentionally haven't looked at the red side of Breaking the Bank, but the briefing does mention IEDs, and that scenario has Warriors.

No and you should not.  You would never know in real life whether you actually jammed an unknown device. The red player is able to identify if the device isn’t working but I don’t believe they can identify if it has been jammed.  I played around with some of the units looking at IED behavior and basically there is no way to relax your sphincter.  😉   I wish there was some chance to spot an IED and at least make an effort to avoid it. There are ways to do so as an editor by having the IED in a touch point or even by having no IED but having a suspicious spotting, but the actual IED carries no possibility of being identified...... unless it blows up. 

17 hours ago, sburke said:

No and you should not.  You would never know in real life whether you actually jammed an unknown device. The red player is able to identify if the device isn’t working but I don’t believe they can identify if it has been jammed.  I played around with some of the units looking at IED behavior and basically there is no way to relax your sphincter.  😉   I wish there was some chance to spot an IED and at least make an effort to avoid it. There are ways to do so as an editor by having the IED in a touch point or even by having no IED but having a suspicious spotting, but the actual IED carries no possibility of being identified...... unless it blows up. 

This +1 - in real life, the only (not recommended) way to know if your ECM is not working is to get blown up.

I had tested out various IEDs under ECM conditions awhile ago and ECM does work. It doesn't work for IED 'mines' or 'wire' IEDs, though,  so you're not entirely out of the woods. ECM, though, is set in QBs up front in the common force select window so both sides know there's going to be jamming. So you're unlikely to find an opponent buying radio IEDs when he knows he's going to be jammed.

I think it makes sense that you're not affecting Wire IEDs or mines with ECM - fundamentally you're doing things like (and including) flooding the radio frequencies with noise. Wire IED's are just basic wired circuits, and IED mines are presumably contact-sensitive, so neither should be jammable.

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I had tested out various IEDs under ECM conditions awhile ago and ECM does work. It doesn't work for IED 'mines' or 'wire' IEDs, though,  so you're not entirely out of the woods. ECM, though, is set in QBs up front in the common force select window so both sides know there's going to be jamming. So you're unlikely to find an opponent buying radio IEDs when he knows he's going to be jammed.

Makes sense, thank you. At least, one could try with a LIGHT setting.