first time campaign maker for CMSF2

hello, in the excitement for CMSF2 I've been planning out a campaign that I wish to create for the game when it comes out. I've never made a mission in CM before, so I was wondering how much of a task I have set myself in for. 

my general concept is this.

You play as D Coy from 3rd Bat PPCLI

1st mission: air assault into Syrian positions, conduct raids on C2 nodes (coy mission)

2nd mission: hasty defence against enemy mechanized infantry bat with artillery support (coy mission)

3rd mission: JTAC (if someone could enlighten me with what the canadians call their air controllers would be handy) with 2x on call F/18 hornets find OP call in strikes on remnants of retreating mech inf bat (section + mission)

4th mission: 41 PLT conduct BDA after airstrikes, touch objectives on enemy CP vehicles and heavy armour wrecks (plt mission)

I'm not entirely sure how possible my ideas are within the CM2 engine, and if possible, is there some sort of mission making guide? I have scoured the forums but didn't find anything.

thanks!

Edited by dasitmane

if you have never done a scenario you are definitely biting off too much hopping immediately to a campaign.  The biggest hurdle in designing seems to be mostly based on folks being overly ambitious their first time out.  You set yourself up for failure.  I'd suggest learning to design a scenario first and once you've nailed down those mechanics you can set your sights on a campaign.  You'll have a much better idea whether your campaign missions will or will not meet the expectations you might have now. There is a guide from JonS on Scenario design in CMBN.  

12 minutes ago, sburke said:

if you have never done a scenario you are definitely biting off too much hopping immediately to a campaign.  The biggest hurdle in designing seems to be mostly based on folks being overly ambitious their first time out.  You set yourself up for failure.  I'd suggest learning to design a scenario first and once you've nailed down those mechanics you can set your sights on a campaign.  You'll have a much better idea whether your campaign missions will or will not meet the expectations you might have now. There is a guide from JonS on Scenario design in CMBN.  

thanks for the reply, will take note and instead try creating a single scenario using one of the concepts ive listed. 

Edited by dasitmane

sounds like a plan.  You can actually just build your scenarios bit by bit and once you think you have what you want, you can link them.  When you get to the point of making the campaign you can decide what is part of your core force or not- i.e. are you telling the story of a unit or of a battle with various units changing from mission to mission.  The Allied Market Garden module campaign is an example of missions describing a battle versus a unit.  Your description above seems you want to tell the story of a unit and therefore D Coy from 3rd Bat PPCLI
 would be part of your core forces, but you'll decide that when you get that far.

Biggest advice I have is be patient and continue as you are in terms of reaching out to the forum to get feedback and direction.  Best of luck!

For me my single biggest hurdle is building maps in the editor. It takes a while, even if you have an overlay/concept for the map, and if you're like me, you can never get it to look quite right. My suggestion would be to focus on the map making aspect of scenario creation. The rest of it is relatively easy and straight forward.

@dasitmane - The TPGII webmaster and I discovered that "No plan survives contact with the enemy" in scenario design either.  The Proving Grounds II does not effectively support a viable scenario design discussion forum.  

Plan B - TPGII is affiliated with The Few Good Men which does possess robust forum discussion capabilities.  FGM now hosts a Scenario Designer's Workshop resources and discussion forum at FGM / Forums / COMBAT MISSION SECTION / CM2 Scenario Design Section

Anyone can view the information posted there.  However, you have to be a registered member of FGM to post comments and questions.  Please let @Bootie or me know what you think.  So, all designer's and those interested in combat mission scenario designer resources, "Cry 'Havoc' and let slip scenario's aplenty!"  Good luck and good game designing.

Edited by Badger73

Good compilation of links and information. You may want to update the AI orders section to include 4.0 specific AI orders like facing (and area fire, etc). Currently it says:

"TIP! There is no explicit way to instruct a Group to face after completing an Order."- this is now possible in 4.0.

Link:

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/scenario-designer’s-workshop-–-ai-scripting.28022/

1 hour ago, benpark said:

Good compilation of links and information. You may want to update the AI orders section to include 4.0 specific AI orders like facing (and area fire, etc). Currently it says:

"TIP! There is no explicit way to instruct a Group to face after completing an Order."- this is now possible in 4.0.

Link:

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/scenario-designer’s-workshop-–-ai-scripting.28022/

Done.  Good catch.  Thank you.