DAR - BrotherSurplice v Rinaldi; "Bier u. Brezel" CM:SF

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay in update, no real reason other than we've just been plugging away with turns. Let's continue. 

Turns 13-16

Taking full advantage of the arrival of reinforcements and the destruction of Surplice's Wiesel, I push both teams into the attack. The Mech Group advances, despite losing a BMP that is providing support-by-fire to a Wiesel 20mm. Like the TOW vehicles, Surplice is conducting a competent series of battle position engagements with them, and they displace frequently. 

b4pJUnK.png

He chooses a less circumspect battle position this turn for one of his TOW vehicles, perhaps hoping to continue his successful engagement of the stalled-out armour. He gets an HE for his trouble; one of the surviving T-72s engaging it with good effect while the rest of the group begins to take position for their planned resumption of the attack.

O2LzIIN.png

I basically got this Wiesel TOW for free and it only further confirms in my mind that Surplice's anti-tank capabilities are severely degraded and its time to put the petal to the metal before he gets some of his own heavy units on the field. So the respective groups kick off; the surviving two ZSUs start hosing down the ground floor of buildings to the Mech Group's immediate front. They briefly acquire a 20mm that takes position - no doubt seeking out further targets - but cannot engage it properly before it slips back into the cluster of buildings. The advance of the Mech Group has shifted a little bit further to the right as a precaution against the enemy vehicles, which unfortunately means that the smoke that was ordered earlier, instead of covering the group's exposed flank, is instead masking it's advance.

Normally it's a no-no to advance through your own smoke but I want to maintain the tempo of my attack and I can't puff my cheeks and blow all my smoke away, so it's a circumstance I will have to endure. 

3PJzvqp.png

R7dDApN.png

PTsEL7J.png

Further reinforcements arrive, or rather come on-call; all my promised fixed and rotary-wing support is now at my fingertips. The SU-25s are being ordered to search and destroy at the opposite side of the map - a vain hope that they will observe and interdict any reinforcements on their own. The Hinds I will, however, husband. I expect that I will need to rely on them to parry any serious counterattack effort, with my own ATGMs running low on ammo (and of dubious capability) and my armor basically destroyed.

l6zTu4K.png

The lead platoon of the mech group begins to dismount and move towards the first buildings. So far, so good.

2OhQSuh.png

The armour swings wide and begins to bypass the greenhouses, they take no long range or heavy anti-tank fire, and one of the T-72s belts an impressive shot on-the-move to knock out a 20mm Wiesel in the Mech Group's sector. 

7vM1p40.png

Overall, some positive signs. Something of a cross fire is developing here and I'm hoping Surplice is beginning to feel the pressure. He's been playing smart since turn 1 and I can do with some pressure-induced recklessness to further even the odds. So far, despite my heavy losses, confidence is building. Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: The AAR isn't dead! I have a series of screenshots but haven't had the time to update. Surplice and myself have also taken a quick break from the game to handle some periods of work in both our respective lives. For the two of you still reading, watch this space. 

21 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

Quick update: The AAR isn't dead! I have a series of screenshots but haven't had the time to update. Surplice and myself have also taken a quick break from the game to handle some periods of work in both our respective lives. For the two of you still reading, watch this space. 

I'll bet there are more than two of us reading this AAR.  ;)