Book about playing AH‘s „The Third Reich“

StieliAlpha

Gents, I just stumbled about a book by Roberto Bolano, called „The Third Reich“. The story is apparently about a German wargamer, being invited to play the good old AH boardgame with some mysterious person in Spain.

Since there are not too many novels about playing boardgames available: Does anybody know it? Is it worth reading?

StieliAlpha,

Know just the person to notify about this. He was so hardcore about that game decades ago that he wouldn't stop talking about it and practically rammed copies of the rules down our throats. He was one of those who refused to play any wargame with Germans as other than German, so German he had to be in this. Poetic justice arrived in the fact we played it once, having found all kinds of far more interesting to us and less time gobbling tactical wargames!  I have a niece (daughter of my youngest brother) and grandnephew who were recently living in Tenerife (soon moving to Saratov, Russia following another team change). Her man played pro basketball for one of your island teams. But be of good cheer, for she doesn't play CM and their boy is way too young, so you lost no CM playing opportunities!

Regards,

John Kettler

On 25.2.2018 at 3:36 PM, Bud Backer said:

Oh, crap, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will improve quickly. 

The PzC campaigns are fabulous. The add-on ones are even better than the stock ones as they go into more detail. Have fun!

Tried invading Norway yesterday. Yuck, bloody British Navy. I had my Narvik Desaster right at the beginning and did not even come close to the last port.

But I’ll be back for another try. Thank god the weather is not too good today and tomorrow.😎

Have just had a surreal wargame related experience!  Would you believe the prominent featuring of SPI's monster game The Campaign for North Africa on tonight's "The Big Bang Theory" episode (S11E16)? Playing time is listed as 60,000 minutes?  First a novel, now one of the top shows on TV, is a feature film next? Does Steve know any big names in Hollywood?

Regards,

John Kettler

MOS:96B2P,

Love that show, but prefer "Young Sheldon" more. Find he  is frighteningly similar to how I was (used to read the dictionary and Encyclopedia American in elementary school, for example, not to mention college level virology and paleontology texts in the public library), though I never had the math. Consequently, I find him relatable. Even had my own NASA connection when I got to help set up the models during a visit to my school. Though current Sheldon isn't quite the raging anus he used to be, I am hoping somewhere in "Young Sheldon" we'll find out how the sweet know it all transmogrified into the still super narcissistic and oft uncaring git of TBBT.

Frankly, I thought the writers made up some of the stuff Sheldon was saying about The Campaign for North Africa, but if you read the BoardGameGeek writeup, you'll see they weren't. There is someone whose utterly critical job in the game consists of nothing but managing logistics!  And if that's true, the odds are pretty high the rest of it was, too. That game didn't whet my appetite for monster games, for back then, I was all about WITE. I wanted Drang Nach Osten and Unentschieden. I thought! A couple of decades later I got to see DNO being played (four full sized folding tables, I believe), and I instantly realized, in seeing these stupendous stacks of counters in a single hex and all the fancy giant tweezer work required, it would've been hopeless, even were we to go back to a time when my hands were far more stable than now. Suspect one of the writers is a dyed-in-the-wool board wargamer, presented the idea at a story meeting, then lost his mind when they went with his noctural emission of a story line. Would be surprised if one audience member in 100,000 knew what that game was, and that's being generous. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 2.3.2018 at 6:30 AM, John Kettler said:

Have just had a surreal wargame related experience!  Would you believe the prominent featuring of SPI's monster game The Campaign for North Africa on tonight's "The Big Bang Theory" episode (S11E16)? Playing time is listed as 60,000 minutes?  First a novel, now one of the top shows on TV, is a feature film next? Does Steve know any big names in Hollywood?

Regards,

John Kettler

Sounds like I have to watch out, when the new season comes over to Europe.

Regarding the logistics, „Campaign for North Africa“ still serves as an example for too much detail for me: IIRC, it even has a rule for increased water consumption due to Pasta  cooking for Italian units.

And „Thanks, John“ for your earlier post. Nice thought, but it would not have been a good idea to meet your friend on Tenerife to play „The Third Reich“. I quite much stressed my wife by doing too much office work already. I don‘t think, she would have fancied long gaming nights in addition.

Edited by StieliAlpha

On 27.2.2018 at 12:42 PM, Bud Backer said:

The Norway scenario calls for a gruelling pace and concentrated forces to defeat the Uk navy. Yeah, fun one, that.

Tried again on Friday. Had the Destroyers out of Narvik Fjord this time. Same massacre, just a turn later.

But „I‘ll be back.“

Edited by StieliAlpha