returnee

I last played cmbb a few years and a few computers ago. I want to get one of the newer games and am torn between Red Thunder and Fortress Italy. Any opinions about which would be better for a returner? I really like Ostfront material but 1944 seems like it could be really one sided at least strategy wise. The Italy game seems to have a bigger order of battle. I really want the Axis allies ( I like Finns)

Fortress Italy already has a released module and another coming shortly. Indeed, it has a much bigger OOB as it includes many nations, with more sub-nations coming soon! The base game covers the battle for Sicily and features Americans, Italians, and Germans. The Gustav Line module pushes further in the war and adds some Commonwealth nations and some more units all around. The upcoming module is supposed to cover the events from the capture of Rome to the end of the war, alas, little is known about what is going to be added except for Commonwealth units from the colonies.

Despite what you might think, Red Thunder is not un-balanced, scenario-creators focus on the battles that were a bit more even. Unfortunately, I don't think we're bound to see the Finns or any other axis-aligned nations any time soon, but who knows... That being said, dedicated community members create all sorts of mods and some of them try to replicate nations like Hungary and Finland.

This is just my thoughts. I have CMRT, and CMFI with GL module. There is new modules on the way to both of them, to start with. But in my opinion, the newest (CMRT) is the best. But if you are from some of the countrys involved in the Italy Campaign, that might interest you more personaly. Otherwise, i Think you should go with CMRT because that´s what i Think is the best game. I´m not from any involved Country, in any of the games.

And like SteliAlpha wrote down below. You´l by them all at the end anyway :D 

Edited by Armorgunner

11 minutes ago, Gator-007 said:

I last played cmbb a few years and a few computers ago. I want to get one of the newer games and am torn between Red Thunder and Fortress Italy. Any opinions about which would be better for a returner? I really like Ostfront material but 1944 seems like it could be really one sided at least strategy wise. The Italy game seems to have a bigger order of battle. I really want the Axis allies ( I like Finns)

That has been discussed many times in many varieties. And there is no "yes/no" answer.

All the games are good, all of them are different. If you like Finnland, the heat of Sicily is probably not to your liking.

But there are much more aspects to it.

My pragmatic answer: Try the Demos and see what you like best,

At the end, you'll buy them all any way.

Combat Mission games are like the ultimate addiction. I thought when I got back into them with CMBN + all modules that I would be completely satisfied. Well I was but I then went on to buy CMFI+ GL. Red Thunder came shortly after. Now after a few months, I've got to say I play them all regularly. They each have a unique setting and since I love the history behind WW2 a lot, each of those settings are like dreams come true. Soon I will be getting CMFB to complete the WW2 titles and of course all the modules when they come out for the rest. As many have said, you will probably get them all if you love this tactical stuff. If you have to choose between CMRT and CMFI, I would go for CMFI because it has more content currently with another module on the way. I'm also a little biased of the Italian front because of my Italian bloodline. Again, I love all the titles. Just play the demos!

Yes I have taught history and geography for about 30 years. My attraction to the Italy theater is that there were so many nationalities in that campaign. Brazilians to Turkmen, the Thunder demo doesn't work for me... I tried several fixes. I don't know if it is because my computer is 64bit and the demo is 32, but that doesn't seem like it should matter.

25 minutes ago, Gator-007 said:

I bought Red Thunder but my computer doesn't run it. I don't get it: it is an i7 2nd gen, 16 gb ram and it won't work. Started a ticket. Ouch.

That's strange, indeed. Until a short while ago, I played all of them on a 9 year old CAD computer. And it worked. Not necessarily perfectly, but playable.

Eh, what's your problem? It seems like quite often the security programs have a problem with the exe and stop the games from running at all. If that's the case; Just tell them to ignore the exe.

I forgot to say: Also post in the tech section. Normally, someone should be able to help you quickly.  @IanL  for example.

Edited by StieliAlpha

LOL when I read his problem about the program not running I though weird I have no idea what that would be :D . Opening a support ticket is a good thing to do but feel free to tell us the symptoms you are experiencing - what happens when you try to run it? Any error messages or other dialogs appear? Frankly @StieliAlpha's idea of a virus scanner interfering with the .exe is a fairly common scenario. Anyway hopefully the support team has already sorted things out but if not tell us more...

1 hour ago, IanL said:

LOL when I read his problem about the program not running I though weird I have no idea what that would be :D . Opening a support ticket is a good thing to do but feel free to tell us the symptoms you are experiencing - what happens when you try to run it? Any error messages or other dialogs appear? Frankly @StieliAlpha's idea of a virus scanner interfering with the .exe is a fairly common scenario. Anyway hopefully the support team has already sorted things out but if not tell us more...

I thought there would be a helpfull soul. ?

5 hours ago, Gator-007 said:

I bought Red Thunder but my computer doesn't run it. I don't get it: it is an i7 2nd gen, 16 gb ram and it won't work. Started a ticket. Ouch.

I had the same problem with CMSF. But when i tried with a rightclick, and start as an administrator i works. Non of the other CM games need that for me though. So try that, and if you are a lucky soul like me, it works

1 hour ago, Gator-007 said:

I checked and my antivirus didn't have a problem with the download.

My problems started, when I tried to run the game. As soon as I tried to run, my Norton thought to discover a Troyan and deleted the .exe.

Strangely, that only happend with BN. No problem with the other games.

"Crash dump" sounds familiar, too. How big is your video card memory? What type? Etc?

8 minutes ago, Gator-007 said:

It is an Intel hd 3000, not sure about how much memory. I tried your idea Armorgunner but I had no success. I really appreciate all the help guys!!

Oops, that sounds like a problem.

You are talking lap top. Plus: The Intel 3000 is an on-board chip. I quickly checked and found one review, which rates it similar to a GeForce 540. Which is not quite up to date. On my old machine, I had a GeForce 570, which was barely adequate.

A quick idea: Turn your Video Settings  down to lowest and see what happens.

Otherwise, I am certainly no expert: So, my advise is again, gather all details of your system and symptoms and post in the tech section of the forum. I remember, there are some threads about lap tops and CM.

Yeah, those embedded graphics cards are problematic. I had a old work machine that would not play CM using the built in Intel chip but it had a "high performance" Nvidia card too so I could play when I had the game use that card. My current work machine also has a built in card but now "high performance" alternative. But it can limp a long and play the game. It sucks though so I don't bother.

Does your notebook have an add on video card? If it does you can set the game to run with that.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Does your notebook have an add on video card? If it does you can set the game to run with that.

I had the exotic idea to suggest an external graphics card. I have absolutely no experience with those, but from what one reads, they are a viable solution to turn a notebook into desk top.

7 hours ago, Gator-007 said:

Hmm an external graphics card, I had no idea. Actually it is a desk top when I bought it I just assumed.....

Ah, desk top. That makes things simpler. Then you surely will have a spare slot for an internal card.

At Amazon, you find e.g. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX570 for Eur 50.- I had one in my old machine and it worked "satisfactorily. Struggled a little with large scenarios, but otherwise quite ok.

Installation should not be an issues. Mount the card, plug in the mother board, plug in power and "Go". In theory a 15min job, though we battled for 5h last time I upgraded. ?

Edited by StieliAlpha

Cool adding a graphics card will be a good thing (tm). Make sure your machine really does have a slot for an internal card and some cards take up the space for two (not because they actually have two connectors but because the thickness of the board is large). Just two things to be aware of. And yes adding / replacing a graphics card is pretty straight forward.

3 hours ago, IanL said:

Cool adding a graphics card will be a good thing (tm). Make sure your machine really does have a slot for an internal card and some cards take up the space for two (not because they actually have two connectors but because the thickness of the board is large). Just two things to be aware of. And yes adding / replacing a graphics card is pretty straight forward.

Yep, true. Size matters. During my upgrade, we removed a CAD graphics card, which was simply huge. That's one reason, why it took so long. The bloody thing would not come out....

Edited by StieliAlpha

11 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yep, true. Size matters. During my upgrade, we removed a CAD graphics card, which was simply huge. That's one reason, why it took so long. The bloody thing would not come out....

"If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer."

—Old USAAF motto

Michael