19 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Would like to point out the official Army training video shows both the Abrams M1 Assault Breachers and the Abrams AVLB employed in a Company level action vs a dug-in Reinforced MR Platoon strongpoint with MRL support. The first, under a hail of indirect and direct suppressive fires, are used to get through the obstacles and clear and mark safe lanes, which the AVLB, protected by the straight Abrams MBTs, advances through in order to deploy the AVLB to get the unit across the otherwise impassable antitank ditch. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Assaults on fortified (to some degree) positions certainly d happen. Desert Storm is a good example both with the breaching of the Saddam Line and he later battle against the Tawakalna Division - in the latter case clearly a hasty defense. Of course the Iraqis were far less competent and, in terms of the hapless conscript infantry, far less motivated than the Russians are likely to be - and of course that Kuwait and Southern Iraq s very different - though perhaps steppe terrain has a few passing similarites

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Not sure if you're unaware of Cobra King on a whole or the fate of the tank itself, so I'll answer both quickly:

Cobra King was an M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Assault Tank (heavily up-armored Sherman tank) in 4th Armored Division circa winter of 1944-Spring 1945.  It achieved fame because it was the spearhead tank that led the element that broke through the German siege surrounding Bastogne to rescue the cut-off 101st Airborne Division.  As a result of this feat it was widely photographed, and achieved some measure of fame.

Cobra King was ultimately knocked out and abandoned during the Task Force Baum fiasco in 1945, but recovered sometime after the war, and put on display without any context at a US Army installation in Germany (likely it was recovered because it was an uncommon model of Sherman vs any knowledge of which specific tank it was).  It took until 2008 for someone to identify the tank as having been Cobra King and I believe it's undergoing some level of restoration/being returned to the US now.

My weak attempt at making a stupid joke just showed my ignorance!

Thanks for putting things straight.

I better go back to lurking now!

Best regards,
Thomm

12 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

3:1. Go big or go home. 

Kidding.  I do mostly 1:35 these days (I've got a Normandy era M4 that's about 80% done on the bench now), but I've done a lot of 1:100 and 1:285 too.  

Figure scale is a matter of personal choice. As well as 6mm I sometimes also use 20mm. For rules, when it comes to moderns, I prefer something reasonably simple in my case Sabre Squadron. However I recently purchased 3rd Generation Warfare but have not played them yet. For skirmish level Force on Force. I know there are plenty of other rule sets out there but  I don't want every "bell and whistle" - I want a reasonably authentic tabletop simulation that does not require too much effort to learn and play. Which rules do you use?

27 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I like the Lardy rules:  https://toofatlardies.co.uk/

I tried their WW1 rues three or four years ago but I wasn't that impressed with then and nor were other club members. so I didn't want to try anything from the same stable. I liked the Battlegroup WW2 rules and 3rd Generation has similar mechanics so I will probably like them. Interestingly infantry are represented at 1:1 scale which  makes things slightly tricky in 6mm but I can use a similar workaround to his problem as for the WW2 Battlegroup Kursk rues so probably not such a difficult issue as it might seem at first sight Only drawback is that lists and equipment data is only available for the Cold War at the moment. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It is anybody's guess if/when more modern time frames will be covered. Nevertheless one should be able to game anything up to and including Desert Storm.

Sabre Squadron is anther nice and simple rule set which allows infantry their rightful place on the battlefield. Aimed at a company commander perspective the basic unit is single vehicles and fire  team so quite reminiscent of CM in some ways

For moderns I feel simple but authentic rules work best. I also like rules that work with 6mm (the primary scale I use for the period) but I also have and use 20mm as do many of my wargaming friends - having rues that are usable inmultiple scales is something I have come to regard as a definite advantage. Though I used o use Command Decision quite a lot I tend to be more interested in gaming at company to battalion level these days - and this s he influence of the CM games on my tabletop miniatures gaming. Doesn't mean tha I don't like the occasional Command Decision Game. I also use he modern amendments to the Battlefront WW2 rules for larger Cold War era moderns gaming. A decent if slightly lower level alternative to Command Decision

http://www.fireandfury.com/extra/ordersofbattle.shtml#CW

http://www.fireandfury.com/extra/pdfrtns/selectforpdf.php

10 hours ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Figure scale is a matter of personal choice. As well as 6mm I sometimes also use 20mm. For rules, when it comes to moderns, I prefer something reasonably simple in my case Sabre Squadron. However I recently purchased 3rd Generation Warfare but have not played them yet. For skirmish level Force on Force. I know there are plenty of other rule sets out there but  I don't want every "bell and whistle" - I want a reasonably authentic tabletop simulation that does not require too much effort to learn and play. Which rules do you use?

I actually started doing the 6mm for training aids. I used to bring in my platoon leaders and XO and demonstrate doctrinal stuff on a large whiteboard I'd place on our conference table (I would just draw the graphics and terrain on).  I found I liked painting as a result though so I just kept adding to the collection.  Picked up force on force and fist full of TOWs but haven't played them yet. 

I invested pretty heavily in the Flames of War stuff for 15mm, but discovered I enjoyed it more for making the miniatures than the game, which is when I transitioned more to 1:35 scale models. 

You should try 1/72, they're small enough for gaming and some of the kits are absolutely mind-bogglingly good these days, if you other chaps will excuse the quick veer off-topic, check this out:

vk1801-02_zpsawljwrui.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981784-flyhawk-172-pzkpfw-i-ausf-f-vk1801-late/#comment-1985501

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You should try 1/72, they're small enough for gaming and some of the kits are absolutely mind-bogglingly good these days, if you other chaps will excuse the quick veer off-topic, check this out:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981784-flyhawk-172-pzkpfw-i-ausf-f-vk1801-late/#comment-1985501

Been tempted but I've got enough 1:35 to last me a while. Might be where I pick up once I can get the stash to fit in the closet again. 

Highly recommend an airbrush, I have a few but I mostly use a Revell Vario (double-action Badger clone) as my go-to brush for general work and a old DeVilbiss Super-93S which is a serious tool, on a really good day with a really smooth mix I can sign my name with it (sadly the really good days are few and far between).  Whatever you choose (Iwata &/or Harder & Steinbeck are the way forward these days), definitely get a compressor with a reservoir at the same time, it will save you loads of money and messing about.  B)

Anyhow, have a 1/72 Magach AVLB WIP courtesy of Tim Neate over on the Braille DG at Missing lynx:

IDFAVLB01_zps5bs8sb2i.jpg

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1443375719/IDF+M60+AVLB+(Magach+Tagash+Tsemed

PS - I'm 100% my confident my stash will outlive me, my build rate is glacial these days (CM may be a factor in that TBH).  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cool.  B)

Sadly my close-vision has deteriorated quite badly in the last decade, I've got glasses that compensate but I find I still get pretty bad head-aches from straining my focus all the same.  I should move up a scale or two really, but with that lot in the stash..... :rolleyes:

I've got a pile of FoW stuff that I keep telling myself I'll paint, but increasingly eyeing it as a means of cash to buy air brush stuff.  Have thought about how attached I am to some of the stash too (or like, if I'm going to do a T-62, is this later model with ERA the one I want sort of discussions with myself).

Basically I have infinite room for Sherman's and Abrams because they're close to my heart, but the DAK Panzer III I'm planning might be the only Panzer III I do for the next 10 years vs all the variants.

I'm a huge fan of the humble Sherman too, I've got kits for all the main variants except the very early direct-vision M4A1 seen at Alamein.  I do need to settle down and do a Jumbo though, it's one of the few M4A3 variants I don't already have built and I really need one for my late war 'Company' (Actually elements of.....Thought I had pictures of some of them but apparently not).  B)

I also decided to go completely barmy on the ancient Airfix 1/76 Sherman, just to see how close I could get it to the real thing:

AllDone_zps9fc556e6.jpg

I chose 'Cecilia' because she's the most well known of the Tarawa Shermans that wasn't actually photographed (AFAIK), leaving some room for artistic lisence.  I've since learned that the lettering of her name should probably be in white rather than yellow and the tank number is total fiction too, I was staggered at how well it showed up TBH.  Both are under varnish now so they won't be changing any time soon.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

She's real nice, the tow cable is a great touch especially at that scale! I've mostly done M4A3s because they're my favorite (M4A3E8s especially).  I too have a M4A2 that'll be a Tarawa vintage tank, I've got some era proper figures to go with her too. 

Here's a few of mine:

YFjBZPL.jpg

GH6o0ib.jpg

BUNZySR.jpg

(Sorry for complete thread hijack, but I loves me some scale models)

Edited by panzersaurkrautwerfer

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Actually I do also use 20mm (1:72nd) - Vietnam and Modern Middle East. A number of my friends also game in this scale so we tend to pool resources. 6mm however is my primary scale for the larger company and battalion actions etc particularity when gaming tank b\ttles. I just think wall to wall 20mm tanks can end up looking very silly, I did look at 15mm as an option when I did decide to go into larger scales but I really liked the look of the Elheim Figures range 

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/