• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

I've got a pile of FoW stuff that I keep telling myself I'll paint, but increasingly eyeing it as a means of cash to buy air brush stuff.  Have thought about how attached I am to some of the stash too (or like, if I'm going to do a T-62, is this later model with ERA the one I want sort of discussions with myself).

Basically I have infinite room for Sherman's and Abrams because they're close to my heart, but the DAK Panzer III I'm planning might be the only Panzer III I do for the next 10 years vs all the variants.

Every miniatures wargamer has this problem. I have a pile of 2mm Napoleonics (heresy! :lol: ) on my work table gradually being painted/repainted  for use in multi corps games of March Attack - an 8 x 6 foot table scales to just over 3 miles in the official scale. However my landlord refused t let me knock holes in walls so I could have a bigger table :D So I had to go down a scale and since I already had quite a few 2mm from my student days,,,,

However a won't be trying Fulda Gap or Desert Storm in 2mm I like tanks I can see! :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice.....Tidy paintwork on the figures, I'm terrible at them these days, I used to be pretty good. 

HWbleEZ.jpg

I don't think it's really being "tidy" or even good, it's just knowing the scale modeling version of Vaseline on the lenses of various washes and filters. Like the BDUs in the photo are fairly few lines/blobs, but just add umber wash and it all blends to look pretty okay. 

I don't even paint details on faces, it's just a heavy reddish brown wash. It looks pretty okay for my eh pretty okay tier of models. 

Re: unused games

I've got a small library of Twilight 2000 products I'll never use, I just thought the setting and ideas were cool to read. 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

HWbleEZ.jpg

I don't think it's really being "tidy" or even good, it's just knowing the scale modeling version of Vaseline on the lenses of various washes and filters. Like the BDUs in the photo are fairly few lines/blobs, but just add umber wash and it all blends to look pretty okay. 

I don't even paint details on faces, it's just a heavy reddish brown wash. It looks pretty okay for my eh pretty okay tier of models. 

Re: unused games

I've got a small library of Twilight 2000 products I'll never use, I just thought the setting and ideas were cool to read. 

So...I've got to ask: does the library know what you've done with their book?

;)

43 minutes ago, c3k said:

So...I've got to ask: does the library know what you've done with their book?

;)

Nah, I just got a library card in John Kettler's name some time ago and haven't looked back.

Kidding.  I bought the book used, I also have a collection of "The Modern US Military" books that are all quite obsolete I use as references when painting stuff from the late 70's-90's, and that book is part of that.  

panzersaurkrautwerfer,

I've been up all night, and your crack (no, not that one) was hilarious, on a night/morning in which I really needed a laugh. I used to keep one of the Twilight 2000 books (the one with the Red AFVs) at my desk at work as a reference. Why? Because there was what seemed, based on available information I had, to be a very good rendering of the FST=2, so good I wondered how they came by the information. Believe that was well before the FST-2 was all over the defense and civilian open source pubs, too. If you have that particular book, would you please check the copyright date and report back? Danke.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

In mine it's referenced as the T-90*.  From what little I know about the Twilight 2000 game's lifespan, it had a re-write for the setting (or at least a major adjustment) to account for the late 80's ultra early 90's, and I think my books are all of that generation (I've got the US/USSR/NATO vehicle books, the 2000's era reprint of the base book with a few of the Polish modules attached, then a mixed bag of other modules I picked up for cheaps).

For the confused:

Twilight 2000 was a 80's era table top role playing game that took place in a world that experienced the hypothetical NATO-USSR clash where the conventional war was not decisive, and the nuclear war was absolutely devastating, but not total.  The war slogs on, but it's at this weird sort of broken state in which a "armored" division might have 10 tanks and 20% of it's real world strength, and much of Europe is basically back in the middle ages.  The base module had the players as survivors of the last US offensive into Poland, which basically breaks the ability of both NATO and the USSR to really accomplish anything above small local operations, and again leaves the players stranded hundreds of miles in a confusing post-nuclear, post-global conflict Poland.  Future modules covered adventures in that wasteland, hitching a ride back to the US (or alternately, the middle east where the availability of oil keeps the war going at a low simmer) then dealing with a US that's basically in the middle of a slow civil war, occupied in places by the Soviets/Mexicans etc, etc.

The rules and systems are aggravatingly complicated making it a game well above my desire to actually sit down and play, but it makes for interesting reading/inspiration for other things (the "basic" combat tutorial is like 5 pages of text, and doesn't get into things like keeping track of wear and tear on individual vehicle parts, or how radiation affects different characters, or rolling to not catch typhus) 

As someone who likes post apocalyptic and cold war stuff, I thought it was pretty neato, but woefully complex (heresy, but I rely on luring slightly nerdy friends in to play my board games vs having a nerdpack, so super-complex means it's not getting played).

On T-90s

As an example of Twilight 2000, a lot of stuff included was basically the "height" of cold war technology.  Things that eventually would come to fruition in the 90's makes appearances (the Javelin shows up under it's very old program name of "Tank breaker," M1A1s show up under their experimental designation of M1E1s), while other stuff was a bit of scifi (laser based, Abrams mounted ADA platforms), stuff that was canceled (US Army LAV-25s, LAV-75 light tanks), or straight up fevered dreams.

The Twilight 2000 T-90 was one of those fevered dreams, with a unmanned turret, large bore main gun with binary propellant.  If I remember right, the page it sits across from in the Soviet AFV guide has the T-86, which was a T-72 with western style composites for the turret (like the Abrams and T-72 had a baby, an ugly commie baby.)