British mortar bug fixed in 4.0?

It was fixed forever ago. I examined the files PzKfw sent me and determined LOS was blocked by trees. He was apparently under the mistaken impression that the ability to target barely out of LOS terrain extended to vertical obstacles. It does not.

12 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

It was fixed forever ago. I examined the files PzKfw sent me and determined LOS was blocked by trees. He was apparently under the mistaken impression that the ability to target barely out of LOS terrain extended to vertical obstacles. It does not.

It's not fixed in 3.12, verified that a lot of times. Just yesterday I had a situation where my British mortar was happily lobbing shells at a contact in an orchard. When it ran out of HE, I tried to do a smoke mission to the same spot, but found there was no LOS.

Just tested it and verified it again in another situation.

Also, when targeting smoke, the LOS tool gives "target out of range" at all ranges apart from less than 20 metres, where it switches directly to saying "target too close".

I prepared a savegame showing this problem.

If anyone wants to take a look, the procedure is as follows:

1: open savegame. British mortar unit is shown with a target line to a point behind a slope.

2: press end turn two or three times. Mortar ammo is expended firing at targeted point.

3: select mortar unit and do a target smoke order, targeting the current target location. LOS tool displays 'Reverse slope - no aim point', and 'Out of range'. (at 205 metres range)

Edited by Bulletpoint

Bulletpoint, if you ran out of mortar HE, you've also run out of smoke shells (they're counted in the total number of shells available...if you don't use them before you use up the total number, they are not available). At least that is how I understand it, and how I have seen it work (but maybe not for all types of mortar/arty???). Anyway, when out of smoke, I've seen the "Out of range/can't target" or some such message. So, are you sure you even have smoke rounds left?

"...if you ran out of mortar HE, you've also run out of smoke shells (they're counted in the total number of shells available..."

You sure about that?  In CMSF that was true but I thought the newer CM2 counts shells individually, so smoke rounds are separate.

1 hour ago, mjkerner said:

Bulletpoint, if you ran out of mortar HE, you've also run out of smoke shells (they're counted in the total number of shells available...if you don't use them before you use up the total number, they are not available). At least that is how I understand it, and how I have seen it work (but maybe not for all types of mortar/arty???). Anyway, when out of smoke, I've seen the "Out of range/can't target" or some such message. So, are you sure you even have smoke rounds left?

That thing only happens with off-board artillery support. This is an onboard mortar, which works differently.

I definitely have smoke rounds left.

16 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

It's not fixed in 3.12, verified that a lot of times.

Although it was for some reason called the British mortar bug IIRC it actually affected all on-map mortars in all CM games and was therefore fixed at different times depending on the title. I don't recall when it was fixed for Normandy but it works fine in 4.0 although you still get the out of range text which can be ignored. As long as the line is blue it will let you plot area fire.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

6 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

it works fine in 4.0 although you still get the out of range text which can be ignored. As long as the line is blue it will let you plot area fire.

Just to make sure, since there are two separate issues (firing smoke after HE & the out of range message), 4.0 lets you fire the smoke ammo using mortar targeting rules, even after all HE has been fired?