Best Combat Mission game to start with?

robertiv

Hi all,

I'm new to Combat Mission (well, played an old demo years ago) and want to get one of the games. Any recommendations for which one to get first? This would be for primarily single player.

I've got no preferences on time period or nationalities - mostly just looking for compelling gameplay, at least somewhat challenging AI, and ideally a campaign that feels progressive (rather than just a series of isolated scenarios). With all the titles available it's hard for a noob to determine which ones are best.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings - Have you tried downloading any of the newer demos to get a feel for the multiple newer engined and featured CMs available now.

They are all up to v4 apart from CMFI (very soon to be updated) , and CMSF which while lagging behind is still very playable.

Wicky's advice is good. CM Battle for Normandy has the advantage of having two modules, a vehicle pack and a battle pack, so you would be getting a lot in one game. There are also a host of user-made scenarios, mods, and IIRC a bunch of maps made to be used in BN. But by all means, go where your inclinations take you. They're all good.

Michael

Aye, @robertiv if you haven't tried any of them at all, grab all the demos, and see which theater  grabs your attention (modern (BS)  vs WW2 to start.

If its WW2, you are so spoilt for choice!:

• BN plus modules is likely the best value for money. A fair bit of bocage fighting involved (but not limited to this)
  • Many players regard FI + modules to be the most different/interesting, because its not in your normal green/lush Western European landscape (instead, dry mountainous open Italian terrain), and has lots of odd vehicles and stuff
  • RT is the place if you lust after massive infantry and tank battles on the eastern front, with bodycounts to boot...
  • FB is the newest, with lots of bells and whistles, which will gradually percolate back through the other titles. But obviously has no modules as yet.

[Note that the above is my high level summary from reading these forums and playing all the demos, and may include oversights: I only have FB and BS, and am very happy! I'm a quality over quantity guy (with limited gaming time)!] Personally BS keeps me very happy, but thats cos I suck at WW2... ss a new Youtube AAR against Usually Hapless shows..    ;D

robertiv,

Welcome aboard!

You've been given excellent advice regarding the demos, but please understand the CMBN Demo is hopelessly antiquated and bears little resemblance to the game today. The Demo is something like Version 1.03, whereas even without the 4.0 upgrade (ran into huge download issues on my Mac, likely because of the stupendous size of the download for a slew of CM game upgrades), the fully upgraded (prior to 4.0) and patched version is 3.11. The differences between the two are extraordinary, to the point, in terms of how it plays and what's doable, that 3.11 is effectively a new game somewhat resembling the CMBN Demo.This list of pertinent PDFs of the CMBN manuals should give you a real sense of what's in CMBN, something you'll never learn from the obsolete CMBN Demo. Have been trying for several years to get BFC to put out a new one. So far, no joy.

You may also wish to check out the somewhat dated CMSF (the first CMx2 game ever, but was PC only when released; Mac version came years later, and I'm on a Mac)), which has gobs of other goodies as far as add-ons, but for my money, CMBS rocks. Has nothing but the bare game so far. Demo below. Not sure what the version depicted is, since I pre-ordered the game, and the CMBS Demo was released much later.

CMSF Demo

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1681&Itemid=318

CMBS Demo

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2289&Itemid=576

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

About the BN demo...it went through some significant changes over the years. If you would like to play it in its original configuration but brought up to date in terms of game engine, you can find it as the first scenario of the "Task Force Raff" campaign. I have a lot of affection for this scenario and replay it every year or two just for kicks.

Michael

On 2/1/2017 at 1:55 AM, Michael Emrys said:

Wicky's advice is good. CM Battle for Normandy has the advantage of having two modules, a vehicle pack and a battle pack, so you would be getting a lot in one game. There are also a host of user-made scenarios, mods, and IIRC a bunch of maps made to be used in BN. But by all means, go where your inclinations take you. They're all good.

Michael

I concur.  CMBN provides the most value for your dollars because it has considerably more community made add-on's, such as scenario's and mods, which stretch and elevate your game play experiences.  CMRT is the definite preference for an Ostfront grog.  I have a special fondness for CMFI but it is not available at the moment pending Battlefront's version 4.0 upgrade release for it.  Combat Mission does provide an embarrassment of riches!  You cannot chose wrong . . .  B)