"Hornets' Nest"

Superbowl, isn't that the game the yanks try to call football.  Such sacrilege. 

I know - a glacial, stop-start game that isn't played with the feet - hell, they don't even use a proper football :huh:

And these people have the temerity to call Cricket slow/boring ! :blink:

Edited by Baneman

Refresh my memory.

This was a scenario where five Hornets are trying to hold off a mob of T-34s and halftracks with a little help from some infantry and an infantry gun or two. Due to borg spotting, the Hornissen were not able to play out their historical role successfully as long range tank snipers. They get spotted by just about all the Soviet tanks as soon as they open fire and picked off by the heavy return fire even though they are hull down behind a ridge crest. There were also problems with trying to employ shoot & scoot tactics. For me at least, the scenario was a big disappointment. I would hope that in CMx2 they would at least have a fighting chance.

Michael

This was a scenario where five Hornets are trying to hold off a mob of T-34s and halftracks with a little help from some infantry and an infantry gun or two. Due to borg spotting, the Hornissen were not able to play out their historical role successfully as long range tank snipers. They get spotted by just about all the Soviet tanks as soon as they open fire and picked off by the heavy return fire even though they are hull down behind a ridge crest. There were also problems with trying to employ shoot & scoot tactics. For me at least, the scenario was a big disappointment. I would hope that in CMx2 they would at least have a fighting chance.

Michael

Oh yeah... That one... Yeah. I remember now....
I never beat that one.
Borg spotting was a killer.

What was the range from ridge to the forest cover again?? About 1500 meters or so?

Michael,

I remember that one well.  I had read in detail the actual historical account and, like you, hoped to see the Hornissen show their stuff.  That was a tough scenario.

I think I managed some sort of minor victory by placing the Hornets all over the place as if they were static AT guns, and while most all of them were blasted, they did manage to kill off enough of the Soviet Horde.

This one should be very good in RT, I would think.

Heinrich505

What was the range from ridge to the forest cover again?? About 1500 meters or so?

Whatever it was, it was much too short to allow the Hornissen to do their stuff as they did historically. Plus, it seemed to me that their accuracy at long range was downgraded somewhat in the game. IIRC, the key to success was to use the inf. gun(s?) to lay down a smoke screen masking off a major part of the Soviet tank force while the Hornissen dealt with the rest. Rinse and repeat. The problem with that was that in CMx1 I don't think it was possible to fire a linear mission and before the gun could be relaid, it either ran out of smoke, had been destroyed by return fire, or the tanks had penetrated the screen, or all three. Maybe the most frustrating game I ever played in CM.

:(

Michael

Believe me, I have that scenario branded in my memory. It was the occasion of much pain and anguish. To quote the I Ching, "Weeping and sighing, floods of tears."

Michael

No no, I certainly believe you. I vaguely remember, how disappointed I was about the Hornet's tank killer performance in this one.  But for some reason, this memory is for me painted in Steel Panther graphics.