Minor scenario editing requests.

Apocal

1) Better tools to control the AI.

I know building a higher level AI capable of handling CMx2 probably isn't in the cards ever, but it would be nice if the players were given more tools to make relatively intelligent AI play happen on a scenario-by-scenario basis.

1a) Branching AI plans.

Nothing is more annoying than building a mission, particular one wherein the AI is attacking, and wanting them to be able to react realistic to different defensive schemes. It would be nice if inflicting sharp losses over a short time-frame would cause the AI to pop smoke, reverse and extract its force off the map to fight another day. It would be cool the AI could respond to the unexpected appearance of an Abrams on one flank by shifting its own tanks to meet the threat and if player tried the same trick from the other flank on the next play, the AI be built in such a way to react to that as well.

1b) More trigger conditions.

Detecting enemies on a certain patch of ground, having artillery spotted over an objective, losses of some parts of the force, low-ammo, fatigue, running across mines, etc. should be able to be used to trigger specific actions if not branching paths.

2) Being able to edit briefing text in the editor. This is a minor annoyance, however it is one that really grates, especially when I screw the format up. I don't know how difficult programming an extremely basic text editor is but I don't imagine it could be too difficult.

3) Default images players could use for strategic and operational maps. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places and you've already included them, but I'd love to pull the already provided graphics for my own missions instead of hunting around for something remotely relevant and finagling it into the proper parameters for CMBS to use.

4) Off-map campaign branching. I remember Field Marshal Bulcher's Devil's Descent had a "mission" where touching one of two objectives would lead down different paths in the campaign. That remains workable, but incredibly hamfisted. Instead, why not offer a screen where you could simply decide on one path or another between missions? It would definitely help with the fiddly nature of getting points and victory levels correct for choosing a mission, especially when dealing with three or more choices.

That's all I got.

1) Better tools to control the AI.

I know building a higher level AI capable of handling CMx2 probably isn't in the cards ever, but it would be nice if the players were given more tools to make relatively intelligent AI play happen on a scenario-by-scenario basis.

+1 It would be nice if the editor would allow the display of multiple group's orders at once and to see and edit the orders as a group instead of having a narrow view of information for just the selected order of the selected group. I find my self changing the selection to see and compare values. It would be nice to be able to see more.

1a) Branching AI plans.

Nothing is more annoying than building a mission, particular one wherein the AI is attacking, and wanting them to be able to react realistic to different defensive schemes. It would be nice if inflicting sharp losses over a short time-frame would cause the AI to pop smoke, reverse and extract its force off the map to fight another day. It would be cool the AI could respond to the unexpected appearance of an Abrams on one flank by shifting its own tanks to meet the threat and if player tried the same trick from the other flank on the next play, the AI be built in such a way to react to that as well.

+1 for branching

1b) More trigger conditions.

Detecting enemies on a certain patch of ground, having artillery spotted over an objective, losses of some parts of the force, low-ammo, fatigue, running across mines, etc. should be able to be used to trigger specific actions if not branching paths.

+1 for more triggers too

2) Being able to edit briefing text in the editor. This is a minor annoyance, however it is one that really grates, especially when I screw the format up. I don't know how difficult programming an extremely basic text editor is but I don't imagine it could be too difficult.

Not so sure about this one. There are so many text editors I don't think I need another one. I know what you mean about friction over not being able to fix typos on the spot though.

3) Default images players could use for strategic and operational maps. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places and you've already included them, but I'd love to pull the already provided graphics for my own missions instead of hunting around for something remotely relevant and finagling it into the proper parameters for CMBS to use.

I am not sure if this totally covers what you want but there is this: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=3479

4) Off-map campaign branching. I remember Field Marshal Bulcher's Devil's Descent had a "mission" where touching one of two objectives would lead down different paths in the campaign. That remains workable, but incredibly hamfisted. Instead, why not offer a screen where you could simply decide on one path or another between missions? It would definitely help with the fiddly nature of getting points and victory levels correct for choosing a mission, especially when dealing with three or more choices.

+1 cool idea

That's all I got.

Not too shabby a list IMHO.

• 2 years later...

A big 1+ with regardes to all suggestion concerning triggers.

Only beaten by gettting 32 AI-Groups... expanding on the trigger system is my most wished for feature.

Point 2 and 3 - My suggestion would be to enable the scenario editor to upload a wider varaity of file-types. If we could use BMP, JPEG files instead of being restricted to a simple textfile when it comes to the briefing text. That would allow much cooler/ more informative briefing screens imo...Better maps, areal photographs, scetches etc..The text section of the current briefing screen is the only one allowing multiple pages...Here we could include alot more/varid stuff if only we could upload something like BMP files.

The ability to tie reinforcements to triggers would be good, as would something between a touch and an occupy objective 'Hold-For (x turns)' perhaps?

I'd also like to see 'Throat-Cutting & Looting' for UnCons and 'Buddy-Aid & Capture' for fallen enemies in the hands of regular troops.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead