Wodin

Gauntlets Crossed (great starter scenario)

For those who are finding the game lethal try this little scenario. 

I'm surprised by the amount of lead being fired how few casualties there have been (I cease fired after twenty five turns and was shocked to see the Russians only have 2 killed and five wounded).

It's a superb firefight that feels realistic.

Highly recommend it as a starter scenario!

Edited by Wodin

Great scenario. I do have one comment not related to the scenario design.

There are walls that block movement.. You can use demo charges to blast holes in them, but they also look like they could be scalable by troops using buddy climb methods. It may not be practicle in real life given how burden down troops tend to be with body armor and other stuff, but would it be somting to consider implementing?

Yeah, really nice infantry battle!

I too noticed the massive amount of ammo shot off so i tried counting it at the end. I roughly went through 7000 rounds 5.62 and 1500 rounds 7.62. I didnt even used area fire alot except for the mgs. The real killer seemed to be the launcher grenades... B)

Recon by fire is very important in this scenario esp when assaulting a building and using demo charges, make sure your MG's etc can cover the gap and spray the building!!

SPOILER, posted casualty numbers so don't look if you haven't played it!

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|
|

Just played this one too and had a total blast (no pun intended)!  I won a total victory for the US with 2 KIA and 9 WIA while killing 18 Russian troops and wounding 14.  It was a nail bitingly tense scenario but completely sucked me in.  Completely engaging to say the least.  I never even used my mortar teams as the enemy was never really out in the open.

Posted (edited)

Is this winnable playing as the Russians? I tried and basically ran out of ammo and got overwhelmed by the more numerous US troops. The scenario description suggests it is suitable for H2H games. But, it seems like a desperate doomed defense as the Russian side (still kinda fun though) even though you can make some of the enemy squads feel the pain.

Edited by Pixel

Long time ago i played this scenario in the demo version... i don't know why i was not interested in this title... after playing it, i immediately decided to buy CMBS... and i think it is the best of the "CM dinasty" ... i also decided to buy CMSF (with all modules),  another great choice (despite 10 years old, it is still great)!

By the way, i would like to play Gauntlets Crossed against an human (i would prefer Russian side)... i remember it was challenging, but i don't remember more details (except that it was only infantry battle and Rus was outnumbered)..

So if someone is interested, i'm happy to have an hard fight (i have a great turn/rate ... even more than 3/4 turns per day)