Gauntlets Crossed (great starter scenario)

Wodin

For those who are finding the game lethal try this little scenario. 

I'm surprised by the amount of lead being fired how few casualties there have been (I cease fired after twenty five turns and was shocked to see the Russians only have 2 killed and five wounded).

It's a superb firefight that feels realistic.

Highly recommend it as a starter scenario!

Edited by Wodin

Great scenario. I do have one comment not related to the scenario design.

There are walls that block movement.. You can use demo charges to blast holes in them, but they also look like they could be scalable by troops using buddy climb methods. It may not be practicle in real life given how burden down troops tend to be with body armor and other stuff, but would it be somting to consider implementing?

Yeah, really nice infantry battle!

I too noticed the massive amount of ammo shot off so i tried counting it at the end. I roughly went through 7000 rounds 5.62 and 1500 rounds 7.62. I didnt even used area fire alot except for the mgs. The real killer seemed to be the launcher grenades... B)

SPOILER, posted casualty numbers so don't look if you haven't played it!

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|
|

Just played this one too and had a total blast (no pun intended)!  I won a total victory for the US with 2 KIA and 9 WIA while killing 18 Russian troops and wounding 14.  It was a nail bitingly tense scenario but completely sucked me in.  Completely engaging to say the least.  I never even used my mortar teams as the enemy was never really out in the open.

• 3 years later...

Is this winnable playing as the Russians? I tried and basically ran out of ammo and got overwhelmed by the more numerous US troops. The scenario description suggests it is suitable for H2H games. But, it seems like a desperate doomed defense as the Russian side (still kinda fun though) even though you can make some of the enemy squads feel the pain.

Edited by Pixel

Apparently it is winnable but very challenging for the Russian side. Over at the Blitz the scenario is has 3 - 0 - 1 record in favour of the US and most people agree it favours the US side: http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/combat-mission-black-sea/gauntlets-crossed/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=11096

Long time ago i played this scenario in the demo version... i don't know why i was not interested in this title... after playing it, i immediately decided to buy CMBS... and i think it is the best of the "CM dinasty" ... i also decided to buy CMSF (with all modules),  another great choice (despite 10 years old, it is still great)!

By the way, i would like to play Gauntlets Crossed against an human (i would prefer Russian side)... i remember it was challenging, but i don't remember more details (except that it was only infantry battle and Rus was outnumbered)..

So if someone is interested, i'm happy to have an hard fight (i have a great turn/rate ... even more than 3/4 turns per day) 

• 1 month later...

A note to new players: I played this scenario probably about 10 times in the demo over the period of about a year, and got slaughtered every time.

After watching a video playthrough, I noticed that hooking left is far more agreeable than hooking right. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but perhaps the map intended this.

That is, what I was doing before was attempting to skirt the first city blocks, positioning an MG there as a base of fire and maneuvering against Golf from the right. This was pretty much suicide.

So - approach from head on, hose those buildings down with lead and 203's, and don't forget to mortar the hell out of that PKM wherever it ends up showing itself.

Having played it so many times from the Bluefor side, I think the best thing that Red can do on this map is to lightly hold Golf, but spread out in the rear with lines of sight on the objective.

Golf is actually very hard to approach, and because of the low wall in front of the building complex, the Americans have to make a final approach on one of the main roads.

While you might be tempted to get some units in there up close for ambushes, they'll eventually get busted out of their position. But there is very little cover for the Americans when they hit those main roads - so set up fire lanes with your MGs, snipers, and RPGs.

If you can force the Americans to assault several buildings toward the rear to dislodge you, you can make things very sketchy for them. CQC always has the ability to be deadly, and in order to effectively lay covering fire on a building, a Bluefor player will need at least another squad, and probably two in support: so if you can manage to surprise them, then to get you out of there they will have to re-orient and waste time sending squads here and there to do that work. Hopefully in that time you can also hit those support squads as they bound across the roads.