Editor capabilities - Vehicle Damage

Will it be possible to have vehicles come onto the field with a certain percentage of their subsystems damage in some way?

With the increasing number of subsystems attached to modern vehicles it might be useful to have a number of them degraded at scenario start to represent previous contact with the enemy.

Pelican Pal,

I really like your idea. I think it would allow for all sorts of cool things to be simulated. Not merely battle damage per se, but also various other types of problems: crotchety suspension, poorly maintained fire control, component failure and the like. Just think of the color it would allow pnzrldr to inject into his "oh so dull" DARs! Would love to see this added in. For real thrills, there could be a kind of Affliction Assigner as a setting. It would randomly parcel out various problems to a selected force, depending on its situation ref supply, time in action, troops skill levels and the like. Were this to be done, I think people would have quite the new take on the value of fresh reinforcements--over and above simply more troops and weapons. When things went right (as opposed to scraping the bottom of the barrel), fully capable AFVs would arrive on the scene, which would be a huge help to the not merely numerically reduced, but significantly capability reduced receiving force.

ChrisND,

Understood. Sigh. How difficult would it be to give scenario designers, or even the AI, the ability to dispense annoying problems of the types I mentioned?  There was a naval wargame for miniatures called Battle Stations which did something like what I'm talking about, except there could also be good things, too. Essentially, every warship in the fight underwent a die roll which offered as much as a 5% spread  for one key parameter: speed, gunnery accuracy, shell penetration and such. The idea was to remove the too much knowledge issue (memorizing ship stats and weapon performance) from the game and shake things up. Now, you've got a fast flotilla with a bit of a laggard in it, a keen eyed spotter at the rangefinder, fortuitous circumstances that squeeze and extra knot out when needed most (the Scotty modifier), a shell which should penetrate and do devastating damage at some specified range, but doesn't, a not so quick damage control party. Since the pain is randomly distributed across the opposing forces, it throws a spanner in the works of the deterministic crowd which very much exists. 

Regards,

John Kettler