Top-notch HiRes footage of Russian Krizantema S

John Kettler

This video is a Grade One intel feast, so revelatory I'm astounded it was released. Short of having the AFV, the ATGM and the various manuals, it doesn't get much better than this. It appears to me the missile has two different guidance modes: laser beam rider and radar, for that is a fire control radar on display in the orangeish housing which rises from the hull after an armored hatch opens.

NOTE: for some reason, the embedded video isn't displaying properly, yet the link works fine. 

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler

A few interesting things about the missile is. (although some of guys will probably know this)

- The Russian seem to like beam riding missiles. One stated advantage is that the guidance sensors actually faces the rear toward the launcher, hence its hard to jam ! 

- The missile has fixed fins that spin the missile. Only 1 fin moves to guide the missile.  

- Its also interesting to note the missile flight path. I would guess the missile is spun for conical scanning reasons too!

- Up to 2 tubes can be raised for ripple fire..

- The 9M123 missile apparently has a version with thermobaric warhead for anti infantry use!

This seems to tie in with the make the missile cheap so that we can fire many philosophy.

One disadvantage of beam riders is that they are less precise as range increases, but I guess the designed probably made the missile cheap to fire in multiples and the warhead large to knock out any tank with 1 hit anywhere!

One question is ?

Can the millimeter wave radar beam go through smoke?

evilcommie,

Welcome aboard!

Well thought out post. You don't have to have as beamrider in order to have a rearward looking guidance sensor. TOW, for example, had a xenon tracking beacon, and TOW II had what we at Hughes called the waffle iron, a heated honeycomb metal structure seeable by missile tracker in the 8-12 micron band. Yes, a MMW radar can go through smoke. And lots of other stuff. The Russians had MMW radar deployed long before we ever thought about it. I worked on the WASP smart antitank missile system at Hughes, and it had a 94 GHz seeker. By picking your frequency carefully, you can also make your emitter stealthy at range by taking advantage of the effects of atmospheric attenuation.

Stagler,

Would very much like to see that vid, please.

c3k,

That's funny. I think the same OKB (design bureau) which built the gunner's control assembly for the early 1960s Drakon missile tank won the bid to build the ones for Krizantema. The similarities are remarkable.

Bil,

I had no problem doing the first one right, so I think I brain glitched. On a wholly separate note, I see two different vehicle types here, with distinct differences in general configuration, sensors and fire control and overall equipment layout.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler