Saferight's Mods

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are those the distant small arms sounds?

Will you do a soundmod with the first-person sounds as well?

The small arms sounds are staying as is. As i dug into the files more i found there wasnt much consistency between all the weapons. The sounds i have in the "base folders" are i guess slightly away, the ones in the optional folder mostly the loudest fps sounds. The really distant sounds just sounded very funky to me.

I'm finishing up the RO2 Russian voices i'm pulling about 30 more for that. Its a nightmare going through those files its all named randomly and there's like 900 of em. Might grab some of the US voices from RS as well at least the ones that aren't corny or mentioning japs.

I really want to dig into the sounds from RO1 and Darkest Hour i prefer those sounds much more but... you have to do it using the Unreal editor and so far the German voices are the only ones working after exporting.

@FIzou Thanks im uploading more of those in few...

In the mean time heres some imho much better firearm sounds than the crap from RO2...

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5327/details

I was able to get all the weapons sounds no problem, but the soviet and british voices are giving me some problems exporting... strangely i get US voices for the brits and german ones for the russkies using the RO editor.

Saferight: Do we add all your sound mods together? Or does the latest mod overwrite the earlier one(s)?

The Soviet voices you combine with the previous one, the DH-RO firearm sounds are new and different from the previous RO2 ones. Those i really didn't like so i took them down these are much better. thanks again for the skull and crossbones Erwin!

You are very welcome, mate.

I love all the sound mods we're getting. It's very hard to choose between em. One thing I still don't hear is the "tearing fabric" or "zipper" sound that the MG42 was supposed to have.

With these samples one can still hear the individual shots. I thought that with the MG42 one couldn't hear individual shots, and it would have more like a "wall of sound" - like a modern gatling gun. Are these MG42 samples from a gun that has had its firing rate adjusted slower??

I love all the sound mods we're getting. It's very hard to choose between em. One thing I still don't hear is the "tearing fabric" or "zipper" sound that the MG42 was supposed to have.

With these samples one can still hear the individual shots. I thought that with the MG42 one couldn't hear individual shots, and it would have more like a "wall of sound" - like a modern gatling gun. Are these MG42 samples from a gun that has had its firing rate adjusted slower??

I wouldnt know all i can say is its from the darkest hour mod for RO1... Not sure how accurate it is but its one of my favorites. If youve played DH youll know it really makes you put your head down once someone rips a burst your way. :P

You can hear the individual shots on a real one too.

I'd imagine that being on the recieving end and not that close to it, it'd sound like a "wall of sound" tho.

Thanks Oddball...

I have never heard a "full-speed" MG42 in real life. But, one keeps hearing it described as a "ripping" sound - like a "zipper". These examples don't seem to sound like "ripping".

I wondered if they have been reduced in speed to save ammo (which AFAIK is common). Or, maybe the original zipper/ripping sound descriptions of an MG42 are not accurate.

From Wiki: "One of the weapon's most notable features was its comparatively high rate of fire of about 1,200 rounds per minute, twice the rate of the British Vickers machine gun and American Browning at 600 round/min. At such a high rate the human ear cannot easily discern the sound of individual bullets being fired, and in use the gun makes a sound described as like "ripping cloth" and giving rise to the nickname "Hitler's buzzsaw", or, more coarsely, "Hitler's zipper" (Soviet soldiers called it the "linoleum ripper"[citation needed]). German soldiers called it Hitlersäge ("Hitler's saw") or "Bonesaw"."

I have a thought - is it possible to speed up the sound sample to make it "sound right"?

Well here's another weapon that has almost the same rate of fire (1100+)

It sounds pretty much the same.

I think the "ripping" description comes mainly from the fact that no other weapons fired at that rate...

It "sounds right" the way it is. No need to speed it up to fit some hollywood fantasy image of it.

If you listen to this which is recorded at a bit of a distance and not with the "proper" equipment, you'll hear what I believe is the closest you can get without actually being there.

It does sound more like a wall of noise there because of the echo and such...

I figured out how to get the Soviet voice work from RO1 and the very foul mouthed Scottish voice work for the brits from DH. Also managed to get the US and German voice work but i don't know if i should number them to be used in conjunction with lets say Mords US and Dietrichs Germans voices.. I use both of those and i'm sure many of you do so i wanted see what some of you think first.

I should have the updated Russian voices up today and maybe the Brits before the beer, food, and fireworks take my attention away. Have a good 4th everyone!!! Everyone else enjoy watching Germany and Brazil winning today :D

I figured out how to get the Soviet voice work from RO1 and the very foul mouthed Scottish voice work for the brits from DH. Also managed to get the US and German voice work but i don't know if i should number them to be used in conjunction with lets say Mords US and Dietrichs Germans voices.. I use both of those and i'm sure many of you do so i wanted see what some of you think first.

Yes, please number them then we can use both, right? The more variation the better and it would be a pity not to use Mord's and Dietrich's mods as well.

BTW, the MG 42 from the DH mod you did is the best I've heard. Thanks.

I should have the updated Russian voices up today and maybe the Brits before the beer, food, and fireworks take my attention away. Have a good 4th everyone!!! Everyone else enjoy watching Germany and Brazil winning today :D

Cool! I think its really hard to have it work with everyones configurations so either compile together with other mods into a master or just release "yours" and people can renumber to fit their config.

Thanks either way :D