Allied AAR: A Route to Ribera or "A Bridge Too Far" (CMPzC)

I definately want to try this system out when you release it. I also would like to request both noob and fizou make the cm maps accessible for download to save on map making work. It would be great to get a map for most of the hexes pre made in these campaigns.

Are you going to include the demo version of PzC normandy '44 that only had the buron scenario like last year. If not I would be game for some kind of group hps purchase to get the 40% discount.

A PzC scenario consists of hundreds of hexes. Just have a look at the one used in this AAR (although much of it is water, and other parts that very rarely will see any combat in the rear areas of each side etc, there are still a lot of hexes to consider). With that in mind i think the best way forward is to create/pick maps as you go along and play out assaults. Some maps, for Victory Locations that are very likely to be contested could of course be created/picked beforehand.

I think the rule of thumb should be that, if you don’t really want to mess about with the map editor to much, to just pick whatever map you find among the QB maps or scenario maps that fit best with the hex/es you are playing an assault on that turn. More focus on playing battles than all the stuff around the battles.

Id of course be happy to supply the ones that we have made for this campaign. All of them are QB or scenario maps that we have altered to fit with the hex assaulted (adding bridge/river etc or just expanding it to get bigger maps which is what this group of players prefer).

You should obviously join noobs campaign to get a taste of it all. I’m sure you'll like it :)

As noob now has started his AAR, I will continue this one and do the full PzC turn as promised. And to make it absolutely clear, noob was the one who introduced me too PzC and the idea to run it together with CM.

This AAR is a campaign played by me and thejetset vs Kuderian and Poesel71, we started it awhile back when noob still was ironing out the rules for his system. Therefore we are not using the exact rules of noobs system, instead its a mix of his original rules combined with our own rules. This is the first campaign we are playing using PzC and CM together so we see it as a learning process and have resolved things as we move along to hopefully have something we are happy with for our next installment, very much fitting our play style. I think that I speak for all four of us when I say that we have been enjoying this very much.

noob have been kind enough to publish his rules for CMPzC for everyone to enjoy. The first link in my sig will take you to a site covering these rules. The second link in my sig will take you to noobs main AAR thread of a showcase Normandy 44 campaign focused on the fighting around Caen on the 7th June. See the respective threads for Allied and Axis HQ if you want to participate or only have a good read.

So onward to the AAR.

I have compiled the total OOB of the allied force to give you a picture of what units and numbers we are working with.

wd3.png

wl1b.png

US Provisional Corps - Part of the US 7th Army

Corps Troops

300 - Engineers

3rd Marne Infantry division

7 inf regiment

1451 - rifle infantry

158 - Engineers

4 - 37mm AT guns

6 - 105mm Cannon

2nd Armored division - Hell on wheels

66th Armored regiment

3rd Bn

9 - M4a2 Shermans (reduced from Coys to depleted platoons to balance the scenario. Original strength 45)

9 - M5a1 Stuarts (reduced from Coys to depleted platoons to balance the scenario. Original strength 45)

175 - Recon infantry

3rd Rangers

165 - infantry

Royal Navy

HMS Ulster (Cruiser)

US Navy

USS Buck (Destroyer)

82nd Airborne Division

504 PIR

528 - Infantry

367th Fld Art Bn

11 - 75mm Pack Howitzers

Also sporadic close air support from P-38s.

Total: 2602 Inf

Armor: Medium 9, Light 9

Artillery: Cruiser, Destroyer, six 105mm, eleven 75mm.

I also want to write something about the battles we have seen so far. We have played out 5 CM battles. I will describe the composition of forces to give you an idea of what types of battles has been generated (Axis forces are my best estimates).

1. US infantry Bn with 105 artillery support force a crossing over a bridge (only crossing point), opposed by a reinforced company of Italian infantry. Italians withdraw after 50 minutes of combat.

2. US Rangers (120 men), supported by Destroyer, assault prepared positions on the coast, defended by second rate Italian Costal defence unit (70 men). Italians withdraw after some 25 minutes of combat.

3. US Paras conduct a fighting withdrawl as they are being chased by 2 companys of Italian infantry (engineers and Bersaglieri) supported by 75 mm artillery. Paras withdraw after 32 minutes of combat.

4. US Glider 75 mm pack battery (4 guns, some 50 men) are assaulted by a reinforced platoon of Italian infantry (70 men), the Battery is reinforced by a platoon of paras midway into the battle. Battle ends with a cease fire.

Neither side continues the attack. The Italians later move away.

5. As posted before. Allied Paras and Stuarts surround a unit of Italian Armored Cars and destroyes the latter.

Now moving on to the battle that is taking place at the moment.. pitting US Rangers from the 3rd Battalion against German panzergrenadiers from the III Battalion of the 104th Regiment, 15th PzG Division.

Strategy:

5lg.png

Grey: German (Regiment/Brigade HQ seen behind the front PzGren troops - purple)

Yellow: Italian (Divisional HQ in the top image (XX))

Pink: 504 PIR

Green: Rangers (the unit to the south is holding a prepared position, trenches and wire, earlier taken this night/morning in an assault

against Italian Coastal defense units.

Green and Grey anchor: The ships, USS Buck (DD) and HMS Ulster (CL).

The overall strategy in this sector is to take and hold the VL location. Taking the VL is down to three units from the 504 PIR. They have some 150 men and are up against a Italian gun battery of x guns. The paras will outnumber the Italians by at least 1.5:1 and will be of better quality. They tricky part is that the majority of the paras have to assault over a bridge, which is the only crossing point for them. Some paras will attack from the flank which will make things a bit easier.

Closer to the shore we have the Rangers that are currently attacking the PzGren units that are moving up on the highway leading up to Ribera. The Rangers are tasked with slowing down the PzGren and cause as much trouble to the Germans as possible. They will if needed conduct a series of fighting withdrawals until they can join up with the paratroopers holding the VL. Then these units will form a solid block with the bridge as a nice obstacle to the Germans. The Rangers also have the awesome firepower from the Destroyer and Cruiser lying just off the shore with their guns trained on the advancing enemy.

The Germans can opt to take the longer way around going south and then swinging back up north, but if they do this, they will have to let my Rangers escape and they will also be under the naval guns for a longer period. As all this is going on, the units from the 7th Infantry regiment and 66th Armored regiment are speeding to reach these positions and destroy any enemy unit trying to contest the VL.

---

Tactics

Attacking force consist of three units from the 3rd Ranger Battalion. They consist of 165 men. They are supported by the destroyer USS Buck. There is a HQ unit (Ranger 3rd Bn HQ) also located adjacent to the enemy units, HQ units can not assault and are therefore never part of an attack. If a HQ is attacked, it will however, be present on the CM battlefield. There is also a small British contingent of liaison officers directing fire from the naval units, it is also a HQ unit.

The opposing force. German units from the 3rd Bn of the 104th Regiment, 15 PzG Division. They are numbered as xxx PzGren and x 150mm Grille SPGs. The enemy force is somewhere between a Coy and a Bn of infantry and up to nine(!) Grille SPG. I'm guessing the actual numbers are a Bn of inf with 4 Grilles. A much bigger force than mine, that is well equipped and of good quality. I don't have any advantages there. I do however, hold the high ground on the northern most hex. This will be portrayed in the CM battle. From there I plan to position a nice base of fire and also spotters for the naval guns of USS Buck. I'm counting a lot on this ship to put some hurt on the Germans. This mission is basically a recon by force with heavy arty support. I hope I will be able to identify enemy numbers and destroy some portion of the enemy while I can keep most of my force intact. I will then retire from the field.

wja.png

A lot is riding on the accurate and deadly fire of USS Buck

Its important to remember than neither me or the axis player may move any units of map until 20 minutes have passed (if done, they are counted as destroyed/routed/captured), if any of us exit before 30 minutes have passed the units exited drop one level of PzC Morale, which is portrayed by motivation in CM.

I don't know how this plan will hold up and if its a good idea at all. Lets hope so.

----

Deployment and terrain

tm9p.png

My southern most units (I/3rd Rangers) are deployed in force close to the water. I'm planing to move up along the wooded area that moves parallel to the water. I'm sure the Germans have an ambush somewhere so I will have to be careful. This force will also send scounts towards the winery.

On the northern hill I have a commanding position overlooking most of the map, In particular, the big winery and the hill situated in the center of the map.

i29j.png

I thought for a long time before I put down my preliminary bombardment, the winery or the hill, my different choices. After a while I choose the winery, NAI 1. I set the delay to 5 minutes as I'm sure the Germans will stay away with their bigger numbers in case of any of the start arty. I hope this will be enough to hit them as they move up, or better yet, if they are present from the start. In any case Id say that these two areas are the NAIs of this battlefield at this time.

named area of interest (NAI) - A point or area along a particular avenue of approach through which enemy activity is expected to occur. Activity or lack of activity within an NAI will help to confirm or deny a particular enemy course of action.

FM 101-5-1 Operational Terms and Graphics

xwdq.png

NAI 2 as seen from my commanding position to the north

I will also move forward with small numbers over uncovered terrain to close with the center hill, NAI 2. These guys can easily be cut to pieces but I'm hoping that the Germans will hold their fire and wait to open up til we close the distance. If they do my guys will reach better cover and I will also be able to move forward my MGs and spotters. Retaliation with MG and 60mm mortar fire will be swift.

Next, the opening moves...

The first minutes.. I'm a bit worried that the Germans will have very strong positions on NAI 2 - a big hill on the center of the map. Closing the distance might get tricky.

syo9.png

Scouts from 2nd Platoon H/3rd Rangers reach good positions overlooking NAI 2

c1ro.png

Two others also reach more concealed ground at the end of the first minute. This gives a safer approach to NAI 2.

pd01.png

As the scouts close on NAI 2, MGs from 2nd Platoon are setting up with a good overwatch of said hill.

Five minutes pass and not a sign of any Germans. My pre-planned bombardment start and the winery, NAI 1, is soon covered in a cloud of smoke and dust.

ctzi.png

Scouts from 1st Platoon, I/3rd Rangers close on the winery as it is getting pounded by 127 mm naval fire from USS Buck.

g88r.png

In under a minute 35 shells impact on and around the winery.

I'm going to advance a bit more aggressively and see if I can force a reaction from the Germans.

Five minutes has passed and I'm starting to bring up more men and moving them forward at a quicker pace to encourage the Germans to react.

ynss.png

Another minute pass and we finally get a contact with a German unit. Close to the far end of the map a two trucks are seen from the hill where I'm positioning several MGs and the FO team. Selecting the Infantry unit aboard the truck reviles they carry a 81 mm mortar (I love the new FOW restrictions, but I think It would be even better if information on mortars and MGs wasn't shown instantly - unless it means info on vehicles also would have to be hidden).

As I have my FO team in position I decide to call in a 60 mm mortar mission on this truck. He will probably be scared of once he sees a spotting round, but I want the Germans to know that we see them.

h4oy.png

Another couple of minutes pass and we are now up to 8 minutes on the clock. Suddenly there is a lot of activity on NAI 2. Things are starting to get interesting.

A: The truck with Mortar onboard.

B: Heavy machineguns are dropped of by trucks and proceed to take up positions behind a section of low wall. The trucks that drop them off are in turn scared off by my machineguns that open up at 800 meters. There are some penetrating hits but no obvious damage. The trucks start to reverse out of sight.

C: Small infantry teams pop up. I'm guessing they have been hiding in place from the start. Rifle fire is exchanged by the Germans held up in the small house at the bottom of NAI 2 and my most forward scouts.

o02i.png

I order in several 60 mm mortars strike on the units that have popped up (among others, adjust the mission targeting truck A). Delay is only three minutes so I hope this will yield good results. I also order the four MG teams on the hill to start suppressing known enemy locations on NAI 2. I also start calling in another strike from USS Buck, this time centered on NAI 2.

kji9.png

A shoot out begins between my forward scouts and the Germans held up in the small house on the foot of NAI 2. Non of my MG can target this house so I will have to bring forward more units to help suppress its occupants.

58n.png

The furthest back of the "C" infantry watching the approaches to NAI 2. Luckily they don't seem to get a good location on my scouts. Bad for them as the 2nd platoon hq is starting to call in mortar fire from his concealed position.

At the end of the tenth minute two trucks and a kubelwagen comes racing behind the corner of the far end of NAI 2. The trucks are towing 75 mm IGs.

hvnd.png

Overview around NAI 2.

t7pc.png

Now usually the info I get from PzC will let me know what I'm up against. As shown earlier it was a unknown amount of PzGrenadiers and some Grille SPGs. Here there should also have been an icon for IGs. In this case we have not edited the PzC OOB to ad guns of this type to the scenario. Instead we have looked at the OOB for the main infantry formations of this scenario, as portrayed in CM. The PzGrenadier Bn and the US Infantry Bn. We decided we want them to pack more of a punch according to their organic equipment in the CM OOB. In this case 75 mm IG and 75 mm ATG for the German Bn and 37 mm ATG or the US Bn (If the Bn is split up, the equipment is split among the Coys).

We then proceed to only edit the units name as the example below show. Adding brackets and information on equipment added. If a gun is lost in battle, the name of the unit would be edited to reflect this. This is not the most sophisticated way of handling the adding of organic guns to a infantry formation (as its possible to do in PzC to the scenario), but works, is a quick fix and gives us an easy way to track it with the rest of the information in PzC.

65as.png

Back to the action. As the trucks deliver their cargo I again change some of my artillery missions to include the two 75 mm guns. I also switch some of the MGs and order them to target the guns. Not a very easy task to set up a gun when under fire from multiple MGs even though the range is almost a kilometer.

y3ab.png

MG fire from the hill soon scores multiple hits on the truck and gun shield of the 75 mm gun closest to NAI 2. The truck starts to reverse away towards safety

Im hoping that the MG fire will disrupt the gun crews for long enough so that the 60 mm mortars can zero in and finish the job before the guns can begin to fire on my line.

0pci.png

Another MG team puts the German Infantry Guns under fire.

Keep it up Fizou.. quite frankly I am finding your presentation superior to what's going on in the CMBN forum.

Are the two of you just playing the PzC side against one another without a third party (like is happening in noob's AARs)? Honestly, I am finding that aspect less than satisfactory and it seems to be getting in the way, though I understand the necessity in that case. An umpire is not an ideal solution if it can be avoided.

Still, you are doing a fine job and thought I should chime in.

Bil

Thanks Bil, coming from you that means something :)

In this case its me and Kuderian that are playing the PzC scenario. We set up the CM battles and send over to each other to keep FOW when it comes to pick forces. We usually let the other two players pick which battle they find most interesting and assign our selves accordingly. So far in this PzC scenario we have never had less than two CM battles per turn, unless there were no battles at all (the first set of turns). So all four of us participating have been able to play CM battles and no one has been sidelined.

I think noob didnt want to restrict himself to only players that own PzC Normandy and thats why he has been executing the orders in PzC himself. Ones hes got the PzC Normandy demo ready he might use that and have two players act as COs, handling the PzC operational movement.

Keep it up Fizou.. quite frankly I am finding your presentation superior to what's going on in the CMBN forum.

I agree, this AAR looks great, and reads well.

Are the two of you just playing the PzC side against one another without a third party (like is happening in noob's AARs)? Honestly, I am finding that aspect less than satisfactory and it seems to be getting in the way, though I understand the necessity in that case. An umpire is not an ideal solution if it can be avoided.

I agree, my system was designed specifically to be played without an umpire. However, to present it being used in that way, you need players proficient in PzC and CM. Unfortunately for me, the players that i intended to use for my presentation decided to start their own CMPzC operation (this one ) after rightly getting frustrated with me re starting a forum CMPzC operation for the second time.

This turned out to be a good thing, as it helped me immensely, as watching, and communicating with the two teams as they played CMPzC as a H2H operation, allowed me to come up with rules for all the various situations operations like this can create. So, ironically, it was a good thing they got pissed with me :)

I will be adding a link to my signature that will contain a demo version of PzC Normandy '44, complete with the Caen scenario i am using in my AAR. This will allow CM players the opportunity to create their own H2H CMPzC operational ARR's, and hopefully they will be as good as Fizou's.

One point i will make in defence of using an umpire to play CMPzC, is that it will allos what i regard as a more realistic level of intel. PzC allows players too much information regarding visible enemy units IMO. This is negated when playing with an umpire, as he can restrict what a player knows about the visible enemy.

In a previous CMPzC system test using the Carentan scenario from PzC Normandy '44, I, as the umpire, in the case of non moving contacts, I only told players that there was an enemy presence, but not what weapon types were present, or how many. However if the contact was moving, players would be told what sound contacts they were receiving i.e. the volume level, and whether the vehicle sounds were wheeled or tracked.

In future turns of my AAR, i will introduce this method to demonstrate its effect on gameplay.

noob, I can understand the benefits of having an umpire.. but ideally enabling two people to play it out amongst themselves would give the concept a better chance of actually getting used by more people. Many will probably want to play a campaign like this with a buddy or three and umpires might not grow on trees,, in fact I know that will be a tough position to fill for many campaigns.. it was in the few I participated in.

I'll keep an eye out for the FOW issues you mention. Don't get me wrong I applaud your efforts in this, it is a step forward for sure.

Don't get me wrong I applaud your efforts in this, it is a step forward for sure.

I explained that I created this system as a way of playing CM operations without an umpire. I also explained why I have presented this using me as an umpire. However, now i am making a demo version of PzC publicly available, I can now present it as it was meant to be. So it's not a "step forward", it's an actual viable system to allow umpireless CM operations. I will be adding a section to the guide specifically to do with how to play it H2H when i get the time, however for now, my AAR will demonstrate that, now the participants have a version of the PzC game.

12 minutes has passed. The Germans are moving on several locations now. They are approaching the winery with a small infantry force. They are also moving up men close to the beach, on the wooded area running parallel to the water. I will advance a few more meters in this area, then hold and await mortar support. After i but some 60 mm fire on the German position I will decide if its a good idea to keep moving forward or if an ambush is my best bet.

dxgc.png

y8c.png

German infantry moving in on my positions, I might be able to set up a nice ambush for them.

My advance towards NAI 2 is slow. The German team in the small house are getting support by the two MG34s that are set up on NAI 2. I will try to crawl my lead scouts out of harms way. Im bringing up two additional MGs in the center to try and suppress these MG34s. I have also marked on the map with red circles for artillery missions on call. The small ones represent a 60 mm mortar mission. Usually medium/medium. The large on is a USS Buck mission, heavy/long.

z8pj.png

On the far right the two IG 75 mm are struggling with their setup. They spend most of the turn cowering as sustained MG fire is put down on their position (I l o v e the new MG code). The first confirmed killed is observed as one of the MGs puts holes in one of the German crew members. The dust and smoke in the background is from a spotting round (60 mm mortar). Hell is about to break lose.

tlyc.png

Rangers draws first blood!

Great-looking pics as well. The terrain looks a bit washed out. But, it makes the uniforms look very good.

Wish thre was a way to play with vid card settings to get a bit more color into the terrain, but keep the worn/washed out look of the uniforms and vehicles.

Erwin,

Wouldn't you get that if you use the standard terrain and Aris uniforms? I'm using both as I like the war movie effect (but now that we actually have access to the war movie lighting I might go back to stock terrain).

----

As MG fire and spotting rounds are making it hot for the IG crew they decide to try and pull their gun to safety. As they do so they lose another two of its crew to the MG fire, now facing their backs and no longer receiving the protection of the guns shield anymore. The mortar missions against the two guns are about to go live.

33ls.png

Up on the center of NAI 2 the two MG34 are making it extremely hard for my scouts to advance any further. They are pinned and I'm hoping that the concealment from the large bushes will keep the MGs from getting actual targets and that they will have to rely on area target orders.

f8b.png

The high ROF MG34 is put to good use against my scouts.

2z0.png

As my scouts are pinned in place the Germans move up more infantry to bring my advance to a complete halt.

But then, in the last seconds of that turn, the roar of heavy artillery is again heard as the guns of USS Buck let lose another series of volleys. I can assure you that my scouts and forward teams below NAI 2 are very grateful!

3nsl.png

Note the MG34 and Infantry team in the two pics above, marked here with yellow text.

On the other side of the battlefield, close to the water, my two mortar missions are set to affect. Several nice tree bursts above the area that hopefully still is occupied by German infantry. My men are staying put to not cause any accidental blue on blue.

ubcl.png

FWIW Fizou I use Aris terrain and vehicles but the newer uniform mods (like FJ) etc.

You look like you're using translucent trees.

What with all the new variants of CM2 maybe I'll have to remove all mods and put em back individually. No way of knowing otherwise what mods are even functioning any more.

Erwin,

Aris uniforms wont conflict with the new FJ uniforms. It might be a good idea to look over all mods and try to figure out if something is not working as intended. I think I will do this my self when MG is released.

And yes, I use the translucent trees mod.

---------

Artillery.. not much that feels so good to watch raining down on your enemies. As NAI 2 is enveloped in fire and explosions I have my advanced elements dash forward to cover more ground as MGs and infantry on the hill are hunkering down.

do7x.png

I have now been able to close on NAI 2 from the center approach. NAI 2 is not that steep but this center location is out of reach from those MG34s further up on the hill. Now I hope to methodically work my way up the hill.

3jdq.png

At the back of NAI 2 allied MG and mortar fire keep suppressing the 75 mm IGs from doing anything. Still no Gun kill though..

5b57.png

Overview after 16 minutes of action. Red circles indicates 60 mm mortar missions. I also start to call in a third mission from USS Buck. It will again target NAI 2 but a bit further back.

vspq.png

Through MG fire and mortar bombs exploding the PzGren truck drivers return to save their guns. I must say I'm a bit disappointed to see them pull it off. They save both guns and pull out behind the hill we call NAI 2. I need to KO/destroy the guns them selves to get rid of them for the reminder of the campaign.

ukzn.png

The gun team at the bottom of the image didn't take a single casualty. Not that I could confirm anyways.

iejc.png

Before they manage to escape another crew member of one of the guns are killed.

In the center we have two small German teams occupying the buildings on the foot of NAI 2. Im moving in on these locations, leap frogging with suppressing fire. The Rangers will soon be ready to assault these positions, hopefully clearing the first line of defense.

twv2.png

The Germans pack a MP40 at the bottom house. I will need to suppress them with a lot of fire power to make sure it doesn't rip my assault team to pieces.

Luckily we have almost a full platoon ready to do just that. I have also two MGs positioned further up in the center. That makes six MGs covering most of NAI 2. The two MGs in the center are targeting the two houses on the foot of NAI 2.

jzj3.png

The other house, a little further up on the foot of NAI 2 seems to only be occupied by a team of riflemen. Still I make sure to suppress them before the assault team moves in. My Rangers have a lot of Thompson SMGs making the job easier.

xsg.bmp

My advance to the most immediate center of NAI 2 is going smoothest. This approach is not covered by any enemy MG yet. My other attack, coming in from my right, down hill, towards the center is having more problems. The Germans have a lot of teams covering this approach and more importantly, two heavy MG34s.

The artillery mission from USS Buck hit very close to the positions of these MGs, they have also received some love from my 60 mm mortars where I have seen hits almost right on top of the MGs. Still they are not cowering for long periods. Instead they are back up putting sustained fire on my advancing teams moving down on my right.

z051.png

I need to stop this MG from halting my advance on the right

ikri.png

You can see it just behind the bend of the hill, walking its tracers into my advancing Rangers

lx32.png

The first US casualty falls to the MG34

4ukp.png

I will have to return and give buddy aid once I have been able to silence those MG34s

At the end of the turn we have the following situation.

s6dq.png

Blue arrows: Allied movement

Red circles: Allied artillery missions (small are 60 mm mortars. The big one USS Buck)

Orange circle: A German AFV.. It looks like the Grille SPG are going to come out to play.

-

As the nineteenth minute goes underway the armor sound contact reviles it self. As I had pre battle intel I pretty much knew it was a Grille SPG. I was thinking hard about launching this preemptive strike in the first place, much because of the SPG. How will I tackle them once i run into them? Well, almost 20 minutes have passed in this battle and so far everything has gone my way. I think I was starting to forget about their presence.

Things are evidently about to change. I will have to come up with something to counter these 150 mm wielding monsters.

kj7a.png

One of the center MGs sends a burst the Grilles way, it hits the side armor but is just to weak to punch through. The wheels are hit and you can see one of the bullets ricochet of the armor.

Firing from a height I might be able to score hits inside the open topped compartment. But that is a long shot and I think the Grille will have to start moving down the slope to present its softer cargo. I do have bazookas up front with my lead elements but I have not been careful and some rockets have been fired in suppression actions against the German occupied buildings.

I will have to keep tight control on the reminder of the rockets and save them for the SPG. The thin armor will not stand a chance against a bazooka but I need to get into position to get a shot off. The Grille have a lot of German infantry and MGs covering its flanks.

80j7.png

Another Grille turns up behind the lead vehicle. Now you just know this is gonna turn into a very bad day..

m30o.png

As the turn ends the lead Grille starts to rotate into position. It has several nice targets in its sights.

The overall situation after 19 minutes of combat. To the right of this image (my left) the 60 mm mortar missions are ending and I'm starting to advance once again. I might be able to mop up Germans that where caught in the mortar barrage. Still I have to be careful so I don't stumble into an ambush.

In the center all focus is on the Grille SPG.

o22d.png

Blue arrows: Allied movement

Red circles: Allied artillery missions (small are 60 mm mortars, the big one is USS Buck)

Orange arrows: Axis movement

Orange squares indicates the positions of the two Grille SPGs.

-

Not many seconds pass before the first of the two Grille rotates into place, lays its gun and fires. I barely dare to watch as the 150 mm shell flies towards my forward platoon.

waclaws high quality sound mod doesn't make it any easier. The roar of the 150 mm is deafening. I really recommend this mod to anyone who hasn't checked it out:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110567

i2uf.png

Luckily the shot is just a bit long and it barely suppress my Rangers.

rd0i.png

A few seconds later the second Grille is in position and fires its gun as well. I have edited in the excellent UI mod by Marco Bergman. If you, like me, loved the info on vehicles and equipment in the CMx1 games I really recommend this mod with the XC option as you get detailed armor and penetration data in game. For me its a must. It might be a bit hard to see in these pictures but in game, the numbers are easy to read and give you quick data if weapon system x will be able to defeat vehicle y from direction z etc.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110580

2rm4.png

The second shot is long as well, I guess the intended target was my MGs in the center. I feel very lucky as the rounds had no impact on my force. But the problem of the Grilles are still to be dealt with. It was personally a long time since I played around or faced the Grille, way back in CMx1 days so I don't remember very much about it. How accurate it is, how fast it reloads etc. A disadvantage at this point, but I'm about to find out more. So far I'm happy to see that the reload time seems to be long.

9ett.png

My bazooka and demo-charge wielding troops are still far out of range from the Grilles. My one luck is that both of the Grille has parked in the area where I have two 60 mm mortar missions. Both missions are about to begin, or is beginning during this turn. They are heavy, medium missions so a lot of mortar shells will impact around the SPG (or rather SPA). If I'm lucky this will drive them off to re-position to buy me some more time.

n11s.png

As more time pass the 60 mm mortar bombs starts to fall around the Grilles with high intensity.

-

One of the mortars delivering bombs on the Grille positions. I have tried to highlight one of the bombs with a white circle.

v85u.png

And then it happens.. I almost cried out with joy as a mortar bomb gets a direct hit in the open compartment. The crew is killed and the Grille is knocked out. A huge victory for me as this will factor in for the reminder of the campaign both affecting the axis PzC artillery and any CM battle where the Grilles take part either on map or as off map artillery.

0dq6.png

With a big smile on my face I change focus towards the bottom foot of NAI 2 where my Rangers are preparing to assault the first house, occupied by a PzGren team.

ynh.png

Rangers, lead the way!

Most parts of the reminder of the platoon are putting covering fire on the building to suppress the occupants. The assault team moves up with a quick command and are then ordered to hunt into the building it self. The assault team had a short pause order before they moved out to let the suppressing fire time to give effect. As the Rangers enters the building they spot the Germans on the other side of the house.

The suppressing fire was very effective as it forced the German team to exit the building. Had it been a human order, and not at TacAI decision I'm sure the Germans would have ended up on the other side of the small stone wall.

lubr.png

As the MP40 equipped landser cower the one with a Kar98 fires on the Rangers. The semiautomatic Garand proves superior in the shootout that follows.

6o5r.png

Several shots in quick succession brings down the Kar98 wielding Grenadier.

--

The second Ranger takes up position by the other window and takes out the other Grenadier as well. The immediate area has been secured. Its also forward enough to be out of harms way from the current position of the Grille on NAI 2. If the Grille moves forward to get a shot in. It will expose its open compartment to the MGs deployed in my center.

yqi2.png

As the turn draws to a close if feel very lucky with its outcome. Two dead Grenadiers..

1q4z.png

And a KO:ed SPA.

qct0.png

20 minutes of action has passed. This means that units can now be exited from the map but if so, they will suffer a -2 Morale penalty (PzC Morale - CM Motivation). In this case my Rangers that currently have high motivation will go down to normal. I wrote earlier that the penalty was only -1 but we have decided to change this to give more incentive to stay and fight. To early exits will be costly in the long run.

I end the turn, ordering my forward platoon to move forward, out of reach from the Grille. I also order more 60 mm mortars to put fire on the current position of the remaining Grille.

Two images in my post #44 have disappeared for me. Not sure why, they are still up at imageshack and I haven't done anything with them. :(

Any clues? Also, do you think I'm to image intensive?

I use flickr.com for my images, much better image support.

Too image intensive? Is that possible? ;)

I like your approach to this battle Fizou, everything seems to be going your way. Don't let up on the accelerator, now is the time to push!

Bil