Hey folks. Was running Breakthrough just fine in Win 7-64. Upgraded to Win 8 Pro-64 and I can no longer run the game. It loads fine but as soon as the map appears I get the following error:

draw_map_to_screen

DirectX failed: dder_exception

The messages appear whenever I hit a key or click the mouse. I have a Radeon 5770 1GB with an E6600 CPU. Most current driver available from AMD. Can anyone assist?

I believe that 'full screen' settings will produce the 'DirectX failed: dder_exception' error. I'm not sure if the 'resolution' error is an issue with the 'sc2.ini' file or not. In either case I have seen a number of users be unable to run the game under Windows 8 at this point. I was able to run SC WW1 Demo under Windows 8, but I don't know if the full game can do that or not.

I had the same problem with old games under Win7 64bit and I recommend virtualization. Virtual Box is pretty easy to configure and it's for free: https://www.virtualbox.org/

If you still have WinXP or Win7 media, you can create virtual machine and use it for running the game. If you have Win8 64bit, your PC is probably resourceful enough to handle this.

Well, played a game into 1915 as the Germans. Game crashed twice which never happened under Win 7-64. Such a drag. I know it isn't anybody's fault. Hopefully we can get a Win 8 patch. Such a great game.

Anyway, my copy of Win 7 is OEM and I have the same PC so I'm guessing a virtualization deal might work. (dunno if the link is good). Still have it on my laptop too which is Win 7, but the game is soooo much better on a 23" screen.

Windows 8 has definitely introduced a few compatibility issues but we are working on it and thanks for your patience as this is a frustrating experience for us as well when things suddenly get broken beyond our immediate control.

:)

No problema. The price of progress I guess.

Why upgrade to Win 8 when Win 7 is working fine? I didn't upgrade from Xp to 7 until a year or so back, I have to admit that Win 7 works better than Xp, I can now take advantage of the full memory and 64 bits, but for instance I never had Vista installed, too many flaws or so people said...

Why upgrade to Win 8 when Win 7 is working fine?

Good question. I always upgrade immediately. Like to see what is going on.

I do like Windows 8 very much. IMHO, the negatives are way overblown. The OS is pretty darn smooth. The Metro "Start" screen is enjoyable to use, with or without a mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hadberz,

Is it the scrolling that seems to run slow? If so there is an option to disable map text during scroll. We added this option in as on some systems, the map text seems to slow the map scrolling down for some reason.

That being said, on most systems it speeds up map scrolling regardless so we added the option in as a new setting under the Advanced settings dialog.

When you start a new game and you are in the Options dialog, just click on the Advanced button and enable the 'Hide Text During Map Scroll' option.

This should do the trick for you,

Hubert

I could play the game at Win 8 as described above but now I am getting

an error when I try to run it "Failed (make) 0x88880001".

The demo gives also the same error.

I did not change anything but maybe windows update did.

I had the same error appear on my laptop which still runs WinXP. Reloading the game solved the issue. :D

I have installed the new patch 1.07 just now.

Unfortunately the error:

draw_map_to_screen

DirectX failed: dder_exception

is still there when playing in fullscreen mode.

With deactivated fullscreen everthing seem to work well.

Is there a patch for the patch in preparation?

Sorry to hear about the continued trouble gentlemen.

Can you confirm that v1.07 is showing at the bottom right hand corner of the MAIN MENU screen when you launch the game?

I only ask as these errors are what would have been typical pre-patch and *should* have been resolved as we tested this on a few Windows 8 systems prior to launch.

Any help will help me track this down and get you up and running ASAP as we definitely have working versions on our end.

Hubert

Can you confirm that v1.07 is showing at the bottom right hand corner of the MAIN MENU screen when you launch the game?

Your attention to this is very much appreciated.

The game does not launch. I click the icon and get the error message I noted. :(

I'm starting to get sick of Windows 8.

I can confirm that 1.07 is present. I usea AMD Radeon HD 7700 with driver 9.2.00 (newest available).

Sorry to hear about the continued trouble gentlemen.

I only ask as these errors are what would have been typical pre-patch and *should* have been resolved as we tested this on a few Windows 8 systems prior to launch.

Any help will help me track this down and get you up and running ASAP as we definitely have working versions on our end.

Hubert