A Counter Ambush AAR

Howdy Gents,

I did an AAR for the A Counter Ambush battle scenario which can be found here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=1739.0

I really enjoy CMA and just wanted to expose more gamers to it. Hopefully a few you might enjoy the read as well.

I'm sure there are some tactical decision that will cause some of the more experienced players to scratch their heads, but I'd like feed back on alternative tactics.

John

In this scenario, I think the squad personnel numbers are based off of the fact that you are playing a dismounted motorized rifle company that is air assaulted onto the objective. So you wouldn't have the personnel directly tied to BMP operation. However if I were to hazard a guess the breakdown was done something along these lines.

MOTORIZED RIFLE SQUAD - Red being removed.

Squad Leader/BTR Commander AK-74

Senior Rifleman/Asst. Squad Leader AK-74

BTR Driver/Mechanic PM

Rifleman/Assistant Grenadier AK-74

BTR Machine Gunner PM

Rifleman/Medic AK-74

Machine Gunner RPK-74

Rifleman AK-74/SVD

Grenadier RPG-7V. PM

The machine gun/anti-tank PLT was also changed to give you 6 PK/PKM teams instead of the 3 by doctrine. The 3 additional teams were changed in the scenario from ATGM teams to MMG teams.

Here is a link to the FM that is cited in your link http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf

I've been reading The Bear Went Over the Mountain and The Soviet Afghan War How a Superpower Fought and Lost. So far neither of the books have gotten down to the company level TO&E, I'm hoping that they might give some insight into the unit compositions used in the game.

I'll look up the books you've recommended.

I actually thought that the units were VDV too, but the scenario specifically says dismounted motorized rifle company. Perhaps they took the build off of a air airborne unit and called it a dismounted MRC. Also it maybe a way of showing understrength or mixed unit compositions, which seem to have been factors in Soviet planning.

Bison,

Suvorov actually commanded an MRC (BTR-60) in the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia, and was there for the gigantic "peep show" Operation Dnieper, which basically wore out much of the Red Army's kit. The whole force consisted of officers! David Isby was in both Pakistan and Afghanistan during the Russo-Japanese war and wrote about his discoveries for SOLDIER OF FORTUNE magazine. Afghanistan was the combat debut of the devastating AK-74, flechette rounds for artillery, the PFM-1 scatterable mine, mycotoxin weapon, Blue-X knockout gas, body armor, the RPG-18 and much more, all in Mr. Isby's marvelous book. If that name seems familiar, it's because he was a key guy at STRATEGY & TACTICS, a wargame firm cum magazine for many years.

Regards,

John Kettler

strange - im playing a pbem of herat against someone. Im the Muj. Pretty good so far - he's been trying to avoid the inevitable street fight thats going to happen when he actually pushes into the city proper. So far hes shelled and shot some of the outer buildings and hooked around to the rear of the city.. You can really see the effects of the engine modelling the insurgents blending in with civilians, and the effects of placing a sniper team a few buildings back. Ive had about 4-5 green/regular teams firing for the whole game so far ~10-15 min and they havent been spotted at all. theyve only killed about 6 godless commies but they're sure making em nervous ;)

in an idiot move I repositioned some men and one of my combat unit HQs move order marched them through one of my own minefields. 2 dead, one wounded. =(

Howdy Gents,

I did an AAR for the A Counter Ambush battle scenario which can be found here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=1739.0

Pretty good AAR Bison. Took a great pleasure reading it. It is well written and the maps can be understood clearly, that is not always done that way.

Will look for more of your AAR's in the future, if you're doing more.

Thanks a lot for that one, I shall play it as soon as I can.

speaking of herat Im still pbeming this and very enjoyable imo.

Im playing the muj and by using my troops wisely Ive managed to snipe right along (by deploying the sniper teams back deep in the city) the whole 20-30 min the battles progressed. Id only say maybe 10 soviet casualties, but its also the morale effect - and the wtf where r they effect as well - none of the teams have been spotted to be fired back upon.

I have to say I wish CMBN would let fausts at least be fired from indoors as a compromise - you can with the rpgs in this and it helps them alot - though the team I ambushed a t62 with got a hit (and this is where its flipped - I wish CMA and SF had the hit txt so I coulda seen if it penetrated or what) on the front upper gun mount or turret (as far as I could see)

it scared the tank and it backed up - but that was it. rpg team got killed by the tanks return fire. otherwise my opponent has put off storming the city by hooking around the hills and open area to the right and now he's moving in. All in all this really only delayed the inevitable bloodbath fight thats going to happen, and he's had a couple of airstrikes and arty barrages but they've only gotten civilians and buildings ;)

I know shocking right? Soviet troops shelling and bombing indiscriminately in a city!