Detecting anti-tank mines

I just started a mission in which the briefing indicates that there are mine fields and I suspect it might be anti-tank mines along a road down the core of the map.

What is the best way of detecting anti-tank mines without engineers? Usually you find mine fields when they go boom, but that is really a poor way, especially at the cost of a few tanks.

So, what method would you use? Hunt? Move, with pauses? Slow? Or?

It's amazing what's in the manual p195:

Troops moving through minefields have some ability to notice the mines without exploding them. This is

much more likely when:

.......................................... - The soldiers are crawling or walking (and to a lesser extent, “hunting”)

.......................................... - The soldiers are engineers

.......................................... - The soldiers are experienced

.......................................... - The minefield has already been discovered (e.g. by setting off a mine)

Engineers have the ability to mark known minefields. After a minefield is marked by an engineer unit,

othr units may safely (but slowly) move through it without running the risk of setting off additional

mines. See the Mark Mines command in the Command chapter for more details.

Hmmm, show a weakness, inviting the enemy to counter-attack through that area with HIS tanks. If they explode, there were anti-tank mines present. If the tanks slice through your forces and defeat you, there were no anti-tank mines present. If he does not attack, it's only because he's trying to lure you onto the anti-tank mines which are present. He won't expect you to actually attack there, so that's where you should go. Unless there are anti-tank mines present.

Does that help? ;)

Or, what the others have said. Arty can sometimes detonate them, if it's heavy enough (no testing). Scout vehicles get sacrificed to fine them. Pausing engineers may find them.

Or, just attack and deal with it.

It's amazing what's in the manual p195:

Troops moving through minefields have some ability to notice the mines without exploding them. This is

much more likely when:

.......................................... - The soldiers are crawling or walking (and to a lesser extent, “hunting”)

.......................................... - The soldiers are engineers

.......................................... - The soldiers are experienced

.......................................... - The minefield has already been discovered (e.g. by setting off a mine)

Engineers have the ability to mark known minefields. After a minefield is marked by an engineer unit,

othr units may safely (but slowly) move through it without running the risk of setting off additional

mines. See the Mark Mines command in the Command chapter for more details.

For some silly reason I thoght that concerned anti-personnel mines...