7.92mm German ammo

Off the top of my head. Apologies for errors:

7.92 = regular 7.92mm ball ammo. Good for many German weapons like MG34/42, k98.

7.92 AP = Armor piercing 7.92mm round typically carried by vehicles, but cross-compatible with standard 7.92mm ammo. Theoretically, 7.92mm AP ammo should be somewhat better at penetrating light armor than standard ball ammo.

7.92K = 7.92mm "Kurz" ammo (Kurz means "Short" in German). This is the ammo for the Stg44. This ammo is not cross-compatible with regular 7.92mm ammo; while the bullet is the same, the cartridge case is shorter and therefore the chambering is different.

Edit to add: Never encountered a vehicle carrying 7.92K ammo in-game myself, though this doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't exist. It is worth noting that the Stg44 was pretty rare in Normandy, and given the Germans' general supply problems in the theatre, ammo for it may well have been scarce.

Off the top of my head. Apologies for errors:

7.92 = regular 7.92mm ball ammo. Good for many German weapons like MG34/42, k98.

7.92 AP = Armor piercing 7.92mm round typically carried by vehicles, but cross-compatible with standard 7.92mm ammo. Theoretically, 7.92mm AP ammo should be somewhat better at penetrating light armor than standard ball ammo.

7.92K = 7.92mm "Kurz" ammo (Kurz means "Short" in German). This is the ammo for the Stg44. This ammo is not cross-compatible with regular 7.92mm ammo; while the bullet is the same, the cartridge case is shorter and therefore the chambering is different.

Edit to add: Never encountered a vehicle carrying 7.92K ammo in-game myself, though this doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't exist. It is worth noting that the Stg44 was pretty rare in Normandy, and given the Germans' general supply problems in the theatre, ammo for it may well have been scarce.

7.92k can be found in German Bunker stashes. This is like the 20th iteration of this exact same thread btw.

"Probably because there is a difference."

It would have been actually "helpful" if you could inform the rest of us puzzled folks WHAT is the difference between 7.92mm and 7.92AP in GAME terms? Otherwise, you simply emphasize that there seems no rational point in having these distinctions at all in the CMBN game.

"Probably because there is a difference."

It would have been actually "helpful" if you could inform the rest of us puzzled folks WHAT is the difference between 7.92mm and 7.92AP in GAME terms? Otherwise, you simply emphasize that there seems no rational point in having these distinctions at all in the CMBN game.

Armour piercing round. Better penetration of light armour (and buildings?). There is no difference in which weapons can fire the rounds, just in the effect when they are fired.

The "Patrone SmK" (Spitz mit Kern) as the 7.92AP in the game was officially called had a V0 of 785 m/s and could penetrate 12mm of steel - although I have not found (yet) at which distance.

Another "Patrone SmK/H" was produced until early 1943, but was cancelled since it contained tungsten. It penetrated 20mm of steel at 500m.

There existed also a "Patrone PmK" with a phosphorous incendiary core which could penetrate 7.5mm of steel.

The "Patrone SmK" (Spitz mit Kern) as the 7.92AP in the game was officially called had a V0 of 785 m/s and could penetrate 12mm of steel - although I have not found (yet) at which distance.

Another "Patrone SmK/H" was produced until early 1943, but was cancelled since it contained tungsten. It penetrated 20mm of steel at 500m.

There existed also a "Patrone PmK" with a phosphorous incendiary core which could penetrate 7.5mm of steel.

And do you know what was the steel penetration of the regular 7.92?

The SmK (Spitzgeschoss mit Kern = "pointed bullet with core") could penetrate 12-13mm at a distance of 100m.

One can see that the AP round would be more effective, at least against the two lighter US vehicles below vs the the standard German round which doesn't even look like it would penetrate.

M2 and M3 Halftrack Armor

6.4-13mm

M8 Greyhound Armor

Hull Front, Upper

16 mm, 5/8", 0.625"@0°4

Hull Front, Lower

19 mm, 0.75"

Hull Sides, Upper

9 mm, 3/8", 0.375"@0°4

Hull Sides, Lower

9 mm, 3/8"

Hull Rear

9 mm, 3/8", 0.375"@0°4

Hull Top

6 mm, 0.25"

Hull Bottom

3 mm, 1/8-1/4"

Turret Front

19 mm, 0.75", 0.875"@0°4

Turret Sides

19 mm, 0.75", 0.75"@0°4

Turret Rear

19 mm, 0.75"

Here are some penetration numbers for the standard 7.9sS (schweres Spitzgeschoss) "heavy pointed bullet".

I am not sure how many SS still in use in 1944. In 1942 the SmE (Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern) seems to have substituted the SS almost completely in order to make economies on lead. In 1944 the SmE Lg (Lang) was introduced which reduced the amount of lead required to nil, but had similar ballistics than the SS.

Maybe you have some data on the SmE and SmE Lg.

I am not sure how many SS still in use in 1944. In 1942 the SmE (Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern) seems to have substituted the SS almost completely in order to make economies on lead. In 1944 the SmE Lg (Lang) was introduced which reduced the amount of lead required to nil, but had similar ballistics than the SS.

Maybe you have some data on the SmE and SmE Lg.

Hmm, don't seem to have anything other than basic information on that round. I have contacted a reliable source of mine who deals in World War 2 arms and ammunition. I will see what he says about the SmE (Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern) "Pointed bullet with iron core" penetration and put up a post when he gets back to me.

No luck, my source does not have any historical penetration data on the SmE (Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern) "Pointed bullet with iron core". :-(

He did state that "it was a bit more penetrative vs the sS" but he does not have actual figures in milimeters.

So we could probably assume that it was somewhere in between the sS and the SmK. Maybe anywhere from 6mm-11mm at 100meters.

If anyone has real number on the SmE please post.