No rugby world cup thread.

gautrek

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it was deliberately a lifting tackle insomuch as the French player was momentarily standing up deciiding to off-load when he was hit. Warburton was just going for a hard hit anticipating some resistance. The law was for deliberately dmaging tackles rather than oin game incidents. As Joubert said with replays and linesmen available it does seem overly harsh without some thought.

Apparently the refs were under instructions to go hard on any sort of lifting tackles. He knew what he was doing. You lift, you roll the shoulder over and you drive the guy back down...you can't say you were in the right.

Only that's not what he did. He picked him up, turned him over, then dropped him. Yes, it was a penalty because he didn't take care that he ended up safe (as he is obliged to if he takes a player off his feet, and since he dropped him, that was impossible), but it wasn't an attempt to injure someone deliberately. It might even have been yellow-card-worthy. "Going hard" doesn't mean reaching for the red card without any warning; that's overkill.

Only that's not what he did. He picked him up, turned him over, then dropped him. Yes, it was a penalty because he didn't take care that he ended up safe (as he is obliged to if he takes a player off his feet, and since he dropped him, that was impossible), but it wasn't an attempt to injure someone deliberately. It might even have been yellow-card-worthy. "Going hard" doesn't mean reaching for the red card without any warning; that's overkill.

Look I think it was harsh to get a red too. But dropping the guy at the last moment is not a defence. He knew what he was doing before then. We've all done it.

Look I think it was harsh to get a red too. But dropping the guy at the last moment is not a defence. He knew what he was doing before then. We've all done it.

It's a darn sight better than riding the tacklee down to the ground and piledriving his head into the pitch, which is what the rule is meant to stop.

It's a darn sight better than riding the tacklee down to the ground and piledriving his head into the pitch, which is what the rule is meant to stop.

Your assertion is not quite the letter of the law:

Law 10.5.j

Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

And the IRB's notes on interpretation:

"A directive was issued to all Unions and Match Officials in 2009 emphasizing the IRB's zero-tolerance stance towards dangerous tackles and reiterating the following instructions for referees:

- The player is lifted and then forced or 'speared' into the ground (red card offence)

- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player's safety (red card offence)

- For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient

From Stuff article

Sad - but apparently the only possible response - the Welsh payer says he had no intent to injure - but that is irrelevant.

Actually I enjoyed the collaboration for once. There's been a storm of stuff this morning (including JonS's link) saying "should have been a yellow card if at all", but none of it is grounded in any fact. I was wondering if the same tackle had been performed by an 'evil' team whether people would have worked so hard to defend it.

I can accept it amongst sports fans, but listening to some of the 'expert' commentary last night I can't believe that people get paid to twaddle on with such ill-informed stuff as well. Apparently the loss of a flanker was going to "Massively unbalance the Welsh scrum..". Really? A flanker isn't there to push! And for most of their defending scrums they drafted in a centre anyway.

But as someone who was supporting France last night it was still pretty frustrating to watch a team with a one man advantage not manage to do anything with it for 62 minutes. If you're one up in the forwards, especially a flanker up, then just drive it up the middle and win phase. Eventually a gap will open. What's the point in an hour's worth of kicking duel?

Well that didn't last long...:)

They drafted the centre for their own scrums...defensive or offensive - to make sure they got their own ball as I saw it. They didn't bother on the French put in.

and if the flankers don't help with a bit of a push then the Welsh scrum must be utter crap because they got shoved around quite a lot after he left.....hmm..??

I lament that it couldn't have been closer. The other ide of the coin is that I know it was a deserved win. We weren't 'done' by anything other than our own mistakes and stupid tactics. The same stupid tactics that nearly cost us last week. WTF is this rugby league bomb thing? Whenever we got the ball and drove forward we looked threatening. The rest of the time we just aimlessly kicked. The match kick off out on the full was an apt forecast of things to come.

As an Australian though I also lament another body blow to the sport here. Not because we didn't win, but because of the volume of points coming through penalties. (Especially if you add on the AB's missed ones!). NRL and AFL already market their games along the lines of "At least you'll see some actual scoring" and tonight's game (and last night's) will just play into their hands.

And the IRB's notes on interpretation:

Sad - but apparently the only possible response - the Welsh payer says he had no intent to injure - but that is irrelevant.

Then every other ref in the WC that I've seen has got it wrong. Either by ignoring or not seeing lifting tackles (that come under the definition of dangerous play, whether there was a drop or not). Including one today. Ridiculous overreaction by the Powers That Be.

Can some one explain what the f*** The AB's have done to their Haka.Its very very poor now.They used to be so much better a few years ago.Also what does the Haka have to do with most of the AB's any way.Most of them are white.

But other than that Australia were very very poor and Wales were robbed.

Unless France play out of their skins in the final its a foregone conclusion.

Then every other ref in the WC that I've seen has got it wrong. Either by ignoring or not seeing lifting tackles (that come under the definition of dangerous play, whether there was a drop or not). Including one today. Ridiculous overreaction by the Powers That Be.

huh?? There is the ability to make it a yellow card - if you read the article I linked to you would see that.

They are under instruction that it is a red card, automaticaly, if the tackled player is driven into the ground, or droppped.

If neither of those 2 things happen then they can give a yellow.