New file at the Repository: EZ US Uniforms - No Patches (2011-09-05)

I might take a crack at producing some uniform mods for the tank crews that fit well with these uniforms, but don't expect anything too soon. It was easy for me to make changes to EZ's mod because he had already done all of the hard work. I merely tweaked it. My modding talents are modest at best.

Hi Erwin,

This mod is not really designed to replace anything. It was simply uploaded as a matter of convenience.

EZ originally created some fine uniform mods; however, the link that he provided no longer worked. Sometime later, mjkerner did some additional work based on EZ's mod (all with EZ's permission and blessing). mjkerner made a series of mods that added shoulder patches and occassional helmet markings from the various divisions that participated in the Normandy campaign, which all look great by the way.

These mods with the shoulder patches cannot all be used at once though. If want to have the 29th infantry division in a battle, you have to put that uniform mod in your Z folder. If you later want to have units from the 1st Infantry division, you have to quit Combat mission and replace the uniform mod for the 29th division with the uniform mod for the 1st division.

Now because the original link for EZ's uniforms no longer worked, the was no longer a way to get the base uniform mod... i.e without unit patches. The advantage to having no unit patches is that you don't have to constantly swap out mods to avoid having the "wrong" division fighting in your battle. It's a generic uniform that works for everyone.

I never had the chance to download EZ's original mod before the link stopped working, but I did grab it once mjkerner released his mod. I wanted a generic verion though and so I removed the uniform shoulder patches for my own personal use. While I was at it, I made a few other minor changes (mostly to the helmets, whereby I added some wear and removed a graphical glitch and some odd shadowing). I never had any intention of posting it online, but then there was a request, for a no-shoulder-patch uniform and I obliged by making mine available, as EZ's is no longer around.

So that's it. There's not really any official or "best" mod. The best thing to do is just download stuff that looks promising, keep what you like, and mix and match as desired.

Thanks for explaining that, von Albert. I'm sorry you had to go to the trouble to remove the patches to get EZ's basic uniform. If I had known, I would have sent them to you. For that matter, I should have posted them in the Repository right off the bat along with my patches mod, but I'm glad you covered it.:)

Ouch... I have SO many uniform mods now that I blanch at having to explode all of them to see which are duplicates with similar names, and then compare which bmp's to mix and match. Probably a man-day's work.

But, thanks for doing all this as I know they will look awesome eventually...

That's very generous of you mj. However, I have everything downloaded already. And yes I now see that all the latest ones are zips. :)

I have a lot of older uniforms that I already mixed and matched and adapted. So, it will take me a bit of time to go thru everything to see what is what...

Will report progress next week if I need help...

• 2 weeks later...

AstroCat, yes I can shoot them to you. I really haven't determined which was more prevalent, but I assume it was somewhat random dependent upon which type was in the supply crate! After a few weeks, they'd be all messed up, faded, and what not, so could you really tell anyway? Then too, you've got replacements running through units at a good rate from various Repple-Depples, so I just don't thinkthere would be much uniformity.