Musettes and haversacks

Roach

I was just wondering if there is any way to replace the musette bag with the haversack on the US infantry or are they assigned randomly to the models and there isn't anything that can be done about it? Obviously it's hardly the end of the world but I'd just like to see my infantry running about in infantry haversacks looking like infantry instead of running around looking like those airborne fellas! :-D

Thanks.

I guess that means no takers, then? :) No matter. After messing about with the .mdr files for haversacks and musettes I did manage to replace the musette bag with an E-Tool but didn't achieve much else other than replace the E-Tool slung at the waist with another musette bag - not quite the effect I was after. But I figure that switching the right .mdr file ought (well, might!) cause the musette bag to be replaced with the haversack. Unfortunately I just haven't managed to do it - maybe I haven't hit on the right .mdr file or maybe it can't be done. This would be a shame as I'm quite fed up now of my infantrymen looking like paratroopers; it is an admittedly very minor quibble but I can't find anything else about the game to quibble about! :) Curiously, the actual BMP file for the haversack is labelled as a musette bag, so that just confused me a little bit more - and it doesn't take much in the first place. Still, if anybody has any ideas to rid me of the musette bags in favour of the haversacks, do feel free to jump in.

Thanks.

I think that depends on the situation and it's probably true in some cases. But I wasn't looking to get rid of the packs completely, I merely want my infantry to be wearing infantry haversacks, rather than wearing musette packs which were pretty much a paratrooper 'thang' - a paratrooper certainly wouldn't be seen dead in an infantry haversack! :D The US had uniform regulations too so they weren't really an optional style choice but, again, it's only a minor quibble to see my boys heading for certain death in the bocage weighed down with musette packs although, oh, how that quibble itches! :D

Is there a mod that gets rid of backpacks?

I don't like them either. I tried to eliminate them before I knew enough about masks and alpha channels, and I ended up with a white blob on the backs of the infantry. If no one else does one, I might try it again. It would be uniform image number-specific, just like any other uniform mod, so it would be randomized within your squads. There might be some wierd visual anomolies in the 3D game world models with the transparent image, but what the heck. Rambler's "No Zeltbahn" mod had a little trouble with that during certain moments or body positions.

I had a stab at removing the musette packs to at least reduce the instance of them appearing on my infantrymen by simply editing out the musette from the us-gear.bmp. This did remove the musette bag well enough from my troops so that the few men that I had wearing packs (about 2 per squad, tops) were at least wearing haversacks. However that left the M3 knife/scabbard floating in midair where it was intended to be attached to the musette. * So the next step was to remove the M3knife/scabbard image from the us-musette-bag-shovel.bmp which I thought had worked until I noticed that there was still a grey M3-shaped image floating in position. I can’t see a separate image of an M3 anywhere in the US bitmaps so I'm not sure what is causing the ghostly M3 to still be there. Then again, I am only tinkering and not in any way a competent modder (I know nothing about masks and alpha channels!!) so I dare say that one of the talented chaps on here can sort it out. :)

Still doesn’t solve my "haversacks for all!" campaign though! :D

I did try faffing with the mdr files again to achieve this but to no avail. I did manage to get a second haversack hanging from the waist which suggests to me that I really ought to be able to replace the musette with the haversack with the right combination of mdr files but, again, it's all a little beyond me. I am such a quitter! Bah humbug. :D

* Incidentally, in real life there is no attachment for any equipment on a musette bag on the side (very late war and post war versions had an attachment on the back flap) so this is somewhat inaccurate in the first place. The haversack does have the attachment for the bayonet in the same place that the musette erroneously has it but I don't think I've seen a bayonet in that position on the haversack, always on the belt - I could very probably be wrong though! Regardless, it seems that the setup of the US packs are a little a about f. Still a minor quibble though, obviously, although I should probably get some counselling about my haversack fixation...

I believe kit placement is hard-coded and often has to do with who the infantryman is and what he's carrying. BAR man should have BAR ammo pouches, Carbine guy should have carbine pouches, officer and dedicated vehicle crew should lack backpacks, etc.

That seems to be the case, and done through the mdr's. The image for the gear is just one bmp, and the mdr's apparently grab and use them like you say, MikeyD. I was going to someday get around to putting together a bunch of different "gear.bmp" images with various bits removed/changed, but I don't think you can just consequtively number the "gear.bmp" like you can a uniform bmp image and get different combos. It sounds like some creative use/deletions of the mdr files might be the only way, but I don't think that's really going to work either.

• 2 weeks later...