Carrier Bug in 1939 campaign

It appears that a carrier bug has entered the 1939 campaign. The problem is that the air defense of carriers is not increased with advanced air upgrades. This value is used whenever carriers get intercepted by fighters and when fighters attack carriers.

Take a look at the screenshot below as proof. All units (carriers and fighters) have level 3 advanced aircraft here. In the top picture the carrier attacks the unit of aircraft and will be intercepted, resulting in 5 losses for the carrier. In the bottom picture the surrounding aircraft have been removed and the carrier will no longer be intercepted. It will now only take 1 damage, down from 5. The reason for this is that the air defense value of carriers is 0 even when upgraded. When the fighter intercepts the carrier this value is used. This results in the intercepting fighter doing 4 (4-0) damage, whereas it is supposed to be reduced by the tech level of the aircraft carrier. So the correct value the intercepting fighter should do is 1 damage (4-3).

Thus the solution is to make the air defense value of aircraft carriers increase with advanced aircraft upgrades. This will make sure that carriers will not be useless against land based fighters later in the game.

carrierbug.jpg

Gorgin is right - air losses could be from other causes - attrition, a loss of one carrier in a group or damage to a carrier damaging the planes it carries too. Also, it might be that a damaged carrier cannot launch as many planes so effective air strength is lower. Remember its a strategic game......

Just to add, I was reading the nonfiction book "Unbroken" and was surprised to find out that operational losses of B24s were much greater than combat losses.

Now with that in mind, I have a feeling accidents were more predominant than combat losses across the board for most aircraft models.

Someone ought to research that.:cool:

from the same uboat site.

"One source says that RAF Coastal Command (U-boat hunters) lost 700 aircraft (badly damaged, shot down and paid off - not all to U-boats of course) and sank 220 U-boats during the war. I've been unable to verify the RAF losses but the U-boat figure is about right it seems. These figures show the immense effort put out by the British to hunt down the U-boats and almost all the aircraft successes took place in 1942 and later."

if those figures are accurate, they are not exactly miniscule.

as i posted earlier, 118 of those were directly shot down by the uboats, not a miniscule number either. most of the rest of the losses are probaly from accidents.

well i was just discussing real life losses, not ingame ones.

i haven't played the ww2 scenerio yet, but in GC SC i dont remember taking large aircraft losses from subs.

if you are in this game, then maybe something is wrong and needs to be looked at.