The Dirty Bush War

A few vignettes from a scenario I recently began...

German troops fighting against the Americans in the hedgerows devloped a title to capture the nature of the bitter, field-to-field fighting. They called it "Scmutzinger Buschkrieg." The Dirty Bush War...

Early July, 1944, 3rd Platoon/Charlie Company is about to encounter a PaK screen in the Norman countryside. Ground down and tired, the US Armored Infantry attempt another push through the bocage. Their objective is to capture and hold a minor road junction approximately 500 yards to the north of their jump off position. Battalion is in no mood for setbacks.

A reinforced platoon of German Infantry is deployed in a series of machinegun pickets and well sited strongpoints 150 yards to the American's front and defends an area in depth for another 300 yards beyond. They are fatigued, blooded and low on ammunition, but are capably led and remain motivated to fight.

picture1imy.jpg

2nd Squad/3rd Platoon/Charlie Company is caught scrambling for a position behind a stretch of low bocage. German infantry are reported to be active north of the squad's first objective - the distant farmhouse.

picture2tu.jpg

One of 3rd Platoon's M3's takes up the slack behind 2nd Squad. The inexperienced machinegunner's poor fire discipline has already alerted the Germans to the track and it's supporting infantry's position.

picture2ai.jpg

A 4th Kompanie PaK40 crew anchors the MLR and stays ready to work fast. The continual rain and saturated ground will likely encourage American armor to remain on or close to the area's few dirt roads.

picture3ne.jpg

2nd Squad picks up the pace and captures their first hedge lined field as German infantry are confirmed to be on the move at approximately 150 yards, 10 o'clock relative to their position.

picture4wy.jpg

3rd Squad/3rd Platoon/Charlie Company waits to move forward in support of 2nd Squad's effort. To their front, a breaching team assigned to 1st Squad is observing distant German infantry while trying to maximize their own concealment.

picture5ae.jpg

American light armor and infantry have been spotted 200 meters south of 2nd Platoon/3rd Kompanie's screening elements. A pair of Landsers advance cautiously into forward positions to better meet the American advance.

picture6i.jpg

An American MMG Team packs up as 3rd Platoon shifts its posture to deliver a "right hook" on the German's likey position. Harassing fire from an unseen MG42 is now entering the platoon area. 3rd's command track can be seen in the background attempting to locate the German firing position.

picture7cs.jpg

A Marder IIIM is released from the gruppe's mobile reserve and seeks out a position on 4th Kompanie's MLR. To the left, one of the Weapon Kompanie's remaining trucks shelters behind a farmhouse being used as an OP.

picture8q.jpg

Within minutes of reaching the FEBA, the German tank destroyer throws a track while trying to negotiate a low berm. The experienced crew stays with the vehicle as it is oriented in a workable position along the area's main north/south road.

picture9wz.jpg

1st Platoon/Fox Company finds the war. They are an understrength patchwork of crews and machines. Students of June's hard lessons, the tankers of 1st Platoon are relatively vetted, topped off and spoiling for a fight.

Going forward...

Far too early to see how this one will shake out. At this phase it's chiefly a matter of maneuver and counter-maneuver as each side develops the fight.

The immobilization of the German tank destroyer places additional preassure on the pickets of 2nd Platoon/3rd Kompanie. They must remain adaptable and give ground as required. Any viable defense will likely hinge on how effectively they deploy their MG's and infantry AT assets in the dense terrain without getting pinned and killed.

The mud, rain and bocage are as much of an obstacle to the Americans as the Heer. 3rd Platoon/Charlie Company's best chance for success may lie in how flexibly they utilize their breaching elements - they are simply too attrited to wage a head on fight against a determined defense. The recent arrival of 1st Platoon/Fox Company and their single "Rhino" M4 has the potential to provide valuable unpredictability and a favorable tempo to the assault.

The Game...

I love all of the stories that unfold over the course of a scenario. Sure, there are some pieces of the game that can be shored up, but hot damn if v1.01 doesn't do plenty of things right. I am eager to see this game grow and intrigued at the chance to game out the brutal stuff between the Canadians and the 12th SS. It's been a hell of a ride since CMBO and I think the best is yet to come.

Frankster65:

I'm glad you liked it. I am having a lot of fun with the game and thought it might be nice to share a bit. I dig the way it pulls me in and enables a story to evolve all the way from lone fireteams to the company CO. To me, that suggests a lot of things have "gone right.";)

sawomi:

Yeah, but for a Yank I was pretty close!

Broadsword56:

Our LAV's and M1's are passing through the Suez as I type. Sit tight.

mjkerner:

I "roll my own." I think CMBN especially shines at the platoon level and I actually enjoy creating small (500x500), detailed maps. So, I build my own scenarios to suit my personal style of play. Plus, I always play Hotseat against myself, which is a fun way to experience the fight from both sides simultaneously and avoid the negative aspects of an AI.

permanent666:

Nothing fancy by today's standards: PC, Dual Core CPU at 3GHz, 2 Gigs RAM, GeForce 8800 GTX GPU (768MB). Because I play scenarios on a small scale, I can pack the maps with detail, max out the game's settings and still get away with high intensity firefights without any slowdowns.

Of course, BFC's art team is stellar and we have some very talented forum members who donate their work to the community too. So, it's a bit of all of the above.

Frankster65:

I "roll my own." I think CMBN especially shines at the platoon level and I actually enjoy creating small (500x500), detailed maps. So, I build my own scenarios to suit my personal style of play. Plus, I always play Hotseat against myself, which is a fun way to experience the fight from both sides simultaneously and avoid the negative aspects of an AI.

You should publish these small scenarios, I'm sure many people like the smaller ones.