How do you order your men to hold fire?

It really drives me mad when I send my platoon commander ahead to scout a patch of bocage and when he spots a trench filled with 30 Germans he decides to take a pot shot at them and get himself killed. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? The closest thing I can find is the hide button but then the HQ can't see and I can't call in arty.

The only way you can keep the HQ spotting and not shooting is to use a "Cover Arc". Cover Arcs will, by and large, restrict fire to targets within the area covered by the arc. It's not absolute, and if the unit believes it's under sufficient threat from the target, it will fire upon it, even if it's outside the arc, but it's pretty good. I don't have much trouble with HQs spotting for Arty with very short cover arcs set. Rifle teams seem more likely to take the opportunity to attempt to suppress the target when I'd rather they didn't than HQ teams do.

Gumby, you may (or may not) benefit from the video in my sig! I cover tips such as that one, and a bunch more.

Thanks for the time specific link. That's what I'll definitely do then. I can't believe that there is no dedicated hold fire button! Its inexplicable.