Wolfe's Geometric Floating Icons WIP

Wolfe

In order to try to differentiate between different types of units, I tried changing the shapes and sizes of the floating icons to try to make it easier to pick units out in a crowded pack. I "borrowed" many ideas from various other mods (Bil Hardenberger, Billy SP, DeutschRitter, Niessuh, Sergei, and stikkypixie) and mashed 'em together for this one.

* HQ and FO units are denoted by larger circles.

* Infantry is smaller vertical rectangles.

* Tanks are large horizontal rectangles; vehicles are smaller rectangles.

* Support units (MGs, mortars, AT guns, snipers) are hexagons.

* Defenses (trenches, mines, etc.) are semi-transparent diamonds.

* The two lost contact icons are full-sized squares retaining the white question mark, but adding a star (US) or balkenkreuz (Ger) to its base.

It's temporarily hosted on my site. I'm still testing it. If you have any suggestions or see any bugs, let me know.

Download: Floating Icons

Pics:

US Original

US Geometric

Ger Original

Ger Geometric

- Chris

Might take a little getting used to, but I like it. Great idea Wolfe!

Rocketman, if the ammo bearers have the 'support unit' hexagon it would differentiate them from regular infantry just fine, I think.

Edit: Which they don't, I see now. Would be great, though. I have my doubts, but is that even possible, Wolfe?

As for suggestions: I'm not sure about the star and balkenkreuz. The simpler and less cluttered the better, I feel, so the fact they're already color coded is enough for me personally. Other than that it looks great, and not hard to get used to at all!

Thanks, guys. I'm still trying to get used to them myself! Does seem a bit odd after playing CMSF and CMBN for so many months.

Rocketman wrote:

Is it possible to make a special shape icons for ammo bearers?

Unfortunately there's no dedicated icon for ammo bearers, nor for the attached XO HQs. I might try a request on the main board; maybe it's something easy BFC can add? I'd also like to see a separate one for Airborne troops.

Juju wrote:

I'm not sure about the star and balkenkreuz.

I originally tried just a full-sized star and cross, but didn't care for them (and others had already done that mod). The detail at the bottom didn't seem too intrusive, and I wanted something besides just color to differentiate the icons. I just wish the Lost Contact icons floated higher above the terrain. For some reason most of them seem to hover just above the ground.

- Chris