Foxholes post first patch

From my reading there were places in Russia where was impossible to dig a foxhole in the winter. The frozen ground was hard as wood. Only HE could make a foxhole in those conditions.

There are places in Russia where you can't dig a foxhole in the summer. It's called permafrost for a reason :) Lots of places get frozen that hard in the winter.

There are places in Russia where you can't dig a foxhole in the summer. It's called permafrost for a reason :) Lots of places get frozen that hard in the winter.

Well, my point was that if BFC is modeling "perfect" foxholes that seems a little too good as odds are it will be a "medium" good foxhole for variety of reasons. Time, ground, etc...

Remember that to preserve FoW we had to put these on the surface of the terrain. There's no way to visually show a guy standing in a 2 meter deep foxhole because of this. So we simulate full body protection when the soldier goes prone, which is reasonably similar to a man height foxhole.

Steve

Thanks, that was my question aimed for. Case closed. :)

BTW, I had good results "sinking" parts of connected trench lines 1-2 meter deeper than surrounding terrain, in order to create something like connection trenches. Off course that works somewhat vs. FOW, as the ground mesh adaption looks quite suspicious to a human player opponent (= CMSF), but I can live with that. There´s also means to "camouflage" these constructions if surrounding terrain is made looking "rough" and bits of high grass & brushes added. TOD also plays a role, with overcast and low light conditions give a better camoed impression.

Generally I now prefer putting trenches and partly FHs 1 m deeper (black locking), which still offers same LOS/LOF opportunities than those put on level ground.

Whether or you can build a "fancy" foxhole in X amount of time is very dependent on soil type and weather. Additionally, whether or not you have engineers to help and the availability of tools and materials.

The FHs I´m speaking of is those that can be constructed with means at hand. A soldiers entrenching tool is just enough for the purpose AND if there´s maybe 2-4 hours time to do the job. Engineers will be assigned to erect basic wire and first minefields (to some most important sectors) and also to help with more elaborate constructions (overhead cover, dugouts ect.). But that goes beyond assumed time of "few hours" and rather towards half a days....full days work.

If following the timetables for the normandy battles, one sees that germans (allies as well) had ample time to build elaborate defenses between major engagements, until the situation became fluid in late july, early august.