Potential 1.1 problem

Yesterday I downloaded the final version 1.1. I then went out for the day and did not use it or my computer.

When my wife used the computer last night and I this morning strange things are happening. Progams are locking up. The graphics in the game and elsewhere in my computer appear distorted and then lockups occur.

Before the patch was installed everything was fine. The last thing I installed before the patch was a new modem over a week ago. Nothing else has been installed.

For me this is just an inconvience but for my wife who actually uses it for work it is a nightmare.

Any ideas?

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

Your should in no way be affected by copying over some Combat Mission files. The only thing I can think of is do you have a Mac? IIRC I read in a post by MadMatt that there is a DLL to copy over if you use a Mac. Did you do something like that? If not, then no, the CM upgrade has nothing to do with your recent problems. It is probably related to your modem upgrade, or maybe just a Windows hick-up.

Re-boot and see if you're still having problems. Once one program crashes in Windows, especially if it's a system program like Explorer, you're much more likely to have other problems until you re-boot.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Frankly this doesn't make any sense. Unless the patch over-wrote certain system files on your machine, trashed your file system or corrupted your registry it should have no effect on your computer (unless you notice certain problems while playing CM).

I'd suggest running scandisk and checking for any file system problems. If you're running Win98 you can launch the "Microsoft System Information" program from Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information. Go to the Tools menu and launch "Registry Checker" and after that "System File Checker". System File Checker may point out problems where there aren't any. It's possible that newer .DLLs, etc. may not be recognized properly, so you will want to take any error indications you get as just "advice" to a potential problem.

Do you have any anti-virus programs loaded up ? On occasion updates (identification files) to anti-virus programs cause problems.

Yes I am a windows guy. The most noticable graphics problem happens with CM. But after a phone conversation with my wife she is seeing the same thing still that I saw. After using ANY program for a few minutes it will lock up. My first advise to people I work with is always "have you tried rebooting" and "run a scan disc"..they have been done. I don't think we have updated our anti-virus thing in a long time.

When I go to registry checker ect...what do I do with that information? I just tried to look at that stuff on my PC here at work and din't see "Registry Checker" or "System File Checker".

Would it help if I blew CM off my system or if there is a conflict caused by CM, uninstalling it would be like closing the barn door after the horse is out?

The only reason I suspect CM is that after installing the patch the next time the computer was used is when it started. If it means anything hen I installed the patch I just downloaded it and ran it then shut down my PC because I didn't have time to play with it at that time.

Well, as Schrull said, there are no system files being overwritten by the patch. If you run the patch, and direct it to a new directory, you will see the files it overwrites, and it only puts files into the CM directory.

It has to be a problem somewhere else in your system.

Unless, God forbid, there is a virus in the 1.1 patch?!? I sure hope not though... I don't use a virus checker.

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

OK....Last night I was having thooughts of reinstalling Windows 98 the system was so screwed up. Error messages everywhere no idea what to do. The registry checker and System file checker didn't help. I somehow screwed up my graphics tinking around too much and am now nearly bald from the stress.

This morning I rememebered a friend who told me how to restore your system to slightly older setup by typing scanreg /restore from the C prompt in DOS. In there I found several dates only one of which was not yesterday. So I chose that one. System acted great except for the graphics but I had the most recent RIVA patch on a zip disc and installed it and everything works perfectly again.

Here is my new delema...It shows my version of CM as 1.1b24...I am now afraid to load the 1.1 version. Any ideas?

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

Here is my new delema...It shows my version of CM as 1.1b24...I am now afraid to load the 1.1 version. Any ideas?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, install 1.1 and, when you double click on the patch, click the option that has it ask you whether you want to overwrite a file or not. There are only about 15-20 or so files that will be installed and overwritten. You can judge for yourself whether that will overwrite an important file. It shouldn't overwrite an important file, but you'll know what is overwritten at the very least.

Secondly, since you have 1.1b24, you should have 2 executables in your CMBO directory. One for 1.1b24 and one for the previous non-beta version. It sounds like you only have the beta executable? The 1.1 patch will look for Combat Mission.exe (non-beta executable). If you have that file, it will overwrite it (provided you say yes when prompted if you do what I suggested in the first paragraph). If you do not have Combat Mission.exe, it will install it for you but there might be a problem. IIRC, you had to have a previous version of Combat Mission installed, but I don't remember why.

hth

------------------

Jeff Abbott

[This message has been edited by Juardis (edited 01-12-2001).]

Guest Madmatt

>>If you do not have Combat Mission.exe, it will install it for you but there might be a problem. IIRC, you had to have a previous version of Combat Mission installed, but I don't remember why. <<

If you meant another patch version installed, for v1.1 you don't. It will work fine upgrading ANY CM version.

Madmatt