The Monk's Wine...

I submitted a new scenario today, called "The Monk's Wine..".

It's a fictional scenario and I hope it will be up soon. I had submitted it about two weeks ago, but it never made it up, so I'm submitting it again.

The scenario is a simple German Armored assault against a depleted American Airborne company. The American and Germans both have AI plans and it's probably best played as the German, but equally as fun as the American. The German player wins by taking the Monastery. The Americans win by holding the Monastery, which is perched on a high overlooking the battlefield.

The German has ever increasing assets come on-line over the course of the 55 minute battle. The Americans have a small armored cavalry support column show up to help throw the Germans back. If the German player can neutralize the American Ant-armor threat, and bring their assault guns up to drive the advance, they can win handily. However, if they choose to rush and try to overwhelm the Americans quickly, they are in for a surprise.

The Americans on the other hand need to closely monitor their assault alleys and manage resources. If they can remain focused on their objectives, they should hold the Monastery.

I've spent a great deal of time making the map, which is slender and long. There is not a lot of room for maneuver, so the German is forced to move up, hopefully neutralizing the kill boxes before the casualties force retreat. I've tried to make the map as close to reality as possible, with sunken roads and foliage that closes resembles real life and not "green acres"..

Good luck and hope you like it. If you want to get the file before it's posted on the respository,

please click HERE

BFC, not sure why you didn't put up my last version, but please let me know if I did something wrong by uploading. My account here in community is the same email as the email that I used to upload the scenario.

hm_stanley, this was a you sent me an earlier version of this, and just realized I never got back to you. I'm sorry about that...too many irons in the fire lately. I never finished my first run-through, although it's in saved game status. I love the map, and things developed into a rollicking slugfest soon enough. I recommend it!

I'm about half way through but just a couple of suggestions. Give the Germans mortar teams instead of infantry guns, the guns are next to useless on this map they can't be used in indirect fire by the spotter so they must try to be manhandled into a good firing position which I found to be deadly for the crews. A bit more time would be nice as well.

Very nice atmospheric map.

Er, I believe you're wrong about this.

How? I deployed the guns in a field near where they arrived on the map, the spotter was on a hill out of line of sight but in radio contact. The guns were all available to the spotter with a 3 minute delay in the arty tab. However when I tried to lay any sort of barrage the cursor just says 'no direct line of sight' or something to that effect. The guns had to be driven to the top of the hill and hauled through forest so they had line of sight to the target before the spotter could use them.

So please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I just noticed that the FO was able to access the guns, like you. I didn't try to lay down a barrage. I was just plinking around with the scenario; it features lot of low walls, which are buggered in 1.00, in key positions so won't get into it until the patch is released. Interesting map, I must say. Somewhat paranoia inducing.

Why paranoia?? That's an odd comment, interesting. But something I wasn't expecting?

Due to the hilly wooded area on the left, studded with walls in the interior, and the deceptively open area on the right. Also the commanding and seemingly inaccessible structure at the Allied end on raised ground. Compounded by the general gloom produced by rain and mud,

I wanted to lengthen it even more.. around 2km, but that didn't seem to improve things. The hilly section of the map is designed to hide an alternative route to the Monastery, and you're right.. that open ground was designed to be deceiving, that is, don't go there.. but if you do, thing might shoot at you.

cool.. considering this is my first scenario I've uploaded.. it's nice to get feedback, but I'm just a humble guy trying to make something that is fun..

Oh, and the FO is used for those guns and they work fine in an indirect mode from various places on the map, used them many times. I've not however used them in a direct mode.

I'm interested to know how you got the guns to work in indirect mode? I deployed them in the field near the graveyard next to the lane where they arrive. I drove through the low hedge and set them up so they had to fire over two hills to attack the Monastry which the FO was observing. However they wouldn't co-operate with the FO request because the had no line of sight?

Well.. not sure exactly what you are doing with that FO. But I place him in a place with a direct LOS to the target and position the guns in back next to the entrance of the map, that is the only place that the guns will have cover but yet not hit trees.. there is reason why I put trees where I did, to make it a little harder to fire indirect artillery.

Anyway, once those guns are unlimbered and setup, the FO will talk with CO of the artillery platoon (there are two commanders and there should be three guns shown in the artillery tab). Those commanders are responsible for the call-in from the FO, who has eyes on the target. Depending on your difficulty setting, it should take about 3-5 minutes for those guns to come on station and that's it.

Are you using the CO's for the guns are FO's? If so, then there are no CO's to manage the artillery requests for the guns.. so I'm a little confused how you intend to use the guns..

I have the FO on the hill overlooking the Monastry with direct line of sight to the enemy units entrenched there. The guns are over the back of the next hill near where they enter the map. The FO has contact with the guns but they can't fire on the targets he selects due to no line of sight. Maybe the guns can't elevate enough to fire over the two hills because they are well within their effective range.

are you saying the IG's don't have LOS with the FO to the target? So, when you go to target the trench line or whatever on the hill, you can't get a target marker? Very weird, I guess I've never directly targets icon's, just area and linear targets.. I think what you are saying is that you select the icon and it won't target that selected unit?

not sure tbh

I have made changes to the scenario to make it longer. I wonder of that will fix the problem. One addition thing I can do is add the FO to the cannon platoon. Btw, there is nothing better than watching ig guns pummel that hill.

I know if you don't put them back far enough, the rounds will hit the trees. But I've never had an instance where I couldn't use the guns. Sooo I'm a little perplexed.

I think what you need to check is whether the guns have line of fire from the spotter. The spotter may have LOS but if the guns are too close to an obejct ie building or in this case a hill, the angle of trajectory is too great and they won't have LOF. so you will have to move them further back.

I think what you need to check is whether the guns have line of fire from the spotter. The spotter may have LOS but if the guns are too close to an obejct ie building or in this case a hill, the angle of trajectory is too great and they won't have LOF. so you will have to move them further back.

Since infantry guns have a very high elevation, only less than mortars, it would have to be a very high, steep hill for them not to clear it. Although a high hill combined with a target within a certain scope of ranges might cause a problem.

Michael