FFEs in the wrong spot

I've noticed this many times when a spotter has limited LOS to the area surrounding the spot where he wants a strike to land. The spotting rounds come in, land out of LOS and then, even though they have not landed on target, the FFE gets called in like a normal arty support mission and ends up landing somewhere else.

Is this really historically accurate? Would it not be more realistic for it to simply take more time (and ammo) until the spotter sees the rounds actually hitting on target before he calls for the full strike? Otherwise, it would seem a waste of ammo and potential hazard to friendly troops.

Also, I have frequently seen that even when the first spotting round (for a point target mission) is bang on target, another spotting round is called for, which usually lands somewhere else. Afterwards FFE is called and comes in on target. Shouldn't the spotter call for FFE immediately when the first spotting round lands on target?

It seems there is a general minimum of two spotting rounds before FFE is ordered. Is this realistic?

This is a problem that has been fixed for v1.01. So yes is known, no it isn't entirely realistic :D

Steve

What should happen? Do they just keep chucking spotting rounds until one gets spotted or is the arty getting a little help making subsequent spotting rounds more accurate until one gets spotted.

What should happen? Do they just keep chucking spotting rounds until one gets spotted or is the arty getting a little help making subsequent spotting rounds more accurate until one gets spotted.

There should, at the end of the spotting process, be a decision as to whether to FFE or to quit the mission as unfirable. As it's been described before, the procedure for dealing with unspottable fall of shot is to either restate the mission, or apply a large correction, either of which can have undesirable results. A live spotter could possibly guess where an unsighted shot might have fallen and inform their 'large correction'. More difficult for an AI.

I am just curious how long they try before they give up. I am fairly sure I have seen 4 spotting rounds on occassion.

Heh. I think I've seen more. Could easily be mistaken. 4-6 rounds without any feedback, maybe dependent on the mission size, sounds like a 'fair' go-around to me. I would have thought there'd be some sort of historical evidence for a 'doctrinal' number, though.

Edit: it'd sort of be nice to have the FO given the option of 'firing anyway', effectively as if it was an "Emergency" barrage that wouldn't have had any spotting rounds...

Also, I have frequently seen that even when the first spotting round (for a point target mission) is bang on target, another spotting round is called for, which usually lands somewhere else. Afterwards FFE is called and comes in on target. Shouldn't the spotter call for FFE immediately when the first spotting round lands on target?

It seems there is a general minimum of two spotting rounds before FFE is ordered. Is this realistic?

Just a few (game) minutes ago, I saw the first spotting round land within 2m of the point target I nominated, but the second round fell the other side of a forest, nearly 100m away, past the target, and well out of sight of the FO. The subsequent barrage fell about 100m nearer the FO than the target, even though the mortar crew had got it exactly right the first time. But as Steve said, it's fixed for 1.01. :)

Hard to say for sure because I play in realtime but I am pretty sure I saw an crew frag a spotter.

The target was about 200m in front of the spotter, mortar crew 40m behind. I am positive the spotting round hit the spotter. He wasn't even in a straight line between the crew and target.