Tank main gun question

I have just been involved in a tank battle and noticed that on several occasions during combat the main gun symbol was replaced by the hand gun symbol and the main gun was not usable-but the gunner was fine and the damage display showed all green lights. Often some time later the gun appeared to be usable again.

Can anyone please briefly explain what was happening in this situation

Many thanks...

It would help to know what the gunner is doing based on the little text on the left.

The game shows an icon for what that guy is "holding" at the time, so if he's not be actively "gunning" he would revert to his sidearm briefly. I've never noticed this though.

Maybe hes getting rounds from some other stowage or something?

I recall reading some tanker's memoir (Ken Tout?) in which he describes being in a combat situation where the crew could not leave the tank for hours. They had to attend to their...ahem..personal hygiene matters by going into an empty ammo can. The radio operator was razzed because his deposit was especially smelly, a thing that did not go over well with the rest of the crew in such close quarters.

:D

Michael

I have fought another tank battle and studied main gun symbols-------nothing so imaginative I fear as a new in-tank urination ikon (though I think Steve has it written in for first patch)--but it now appears to be the MG42 ikon which often replaces main gun ikon and I assume it implies that gunner is ready to use coaxial MG and can revert to main gun if appropriate and if main gun is undamaged

Thank you all for your lavatorial Freudian flights of fancy which removed us further and further from a legitimate solution........(until next patch of course when it will feature--or else how could it really be called a top notch accurate simulation and receive maximum stars or thumbs-up etc)

NB I guess the effects of this in-tank relieving practice is why those in the tank lower area --driver and wireless operator were often described as "wet behind the ears".......

I have fought another tank battle and studied main gun symbols-------nothing so imaginative I fear as a new in-tank urination ikon (though I think Steve has it written in for first patch)--but it now appears to be the MG42 ikon which often replaces main gun ikon and I assume it implies that gunner is ready to use coaxial MG and can revert to main gun if appropriate and if main gun is undamaged

I think the gunner will often go to the coax as a sighting aid before firing the main gun. It's one of the main purposes of having the weapon 'coaxial'.