One step away from the über-geek-grognards' game?

First, I've not used the scenario editor, so I'm not familiar on how it works exactly. I just only skipped over the pages in the manual.

But I have the feeling that it is a step further in the ultimate simulation of war from higher echelons.

I can imagine a future iteration of the game in which players open up something similar to the scenario editor interface and just do scripts for the AI, for both sides, and let the game to run both opposing forces' AIs in a mega RT movie of all the battle (or even campaign).

Wouldn't be that the exact modelling of how the war was seen on those days from levels over Bn CO, with the plus of video AAR (an abstraction of personal accounts, I suppose)?

You gave the orders and some hour or even days after you get the results, with minimal to none ability to influence in the outcome.

Who here is geek (and brave) enough to admit that he will eventually enjoy such game?

Giving orders from the top and letting them filter down through corps, division, regiment, battalion, company and platoon level all in real time is exactly how the 'Command Ops' series by Panther games work. I have and do currently enjoy them. They're fantastic and the AI is very, very good. The Battles from the Bulge one - the most recent - is one of the best high level war games i've played since...well since the last Panther Games title I bought. Of course you can micro-manage down to low levels if you want but, y'know, mileage varies.

So the ultimate game would be one where I play Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill etc point at Europe and say "conquer that" and then watch as my Generals, Admirals etc etc fight the war?

I realize that is an over simplification, but not far off the mark. What I love about CMBN is I plan the tactical level with very little idea of the big picture. I just need to "take that hill". The campaigns add the level of impact and developments on other fronts that could influence my battle, but more than that just gets lost in the clutter as I am sure it would have to the company and battalion COs in 1944.

Giving orders from the top and letting them filter down through corps, division, regiment, battalion, company and platoon level all in real time is exactly how the 'Command Ops' series by Panther games work. I have and do currently enjoy them. They're fantastic and the AI is very, very good. The Battles from the Bulge one - the most recent - is one of the best high level war games i've played since...well since the last Panther Games title I bought. Of course you can micro-manage down to low levels if you want but, y'know, mileage varies.

Had a couple of the series. Just outstanding AI.

Yeah, the AI is like nothing else on the market. I remember playing the full Arnhem campaign that came with 'Highway to the Reich'. As night fell, I had a bridgehead set up in the town, waiting for the inevitable counter attack. When it came the AI painstakingly probed my lines searching for a weak spot and, when it found one, attacked there in force. It was my first real experience of the AI and it was pretty memorable.

Great series of games.