Whats up with the extreme lack of radios?

This is Road to Berlin we're talking about, and not Busting the Bocage?

Sounds like you have the right idea, but something is very off with your execution... that scenario is really not very hard. this weekend, I'll try to take some screenies from my play-through of that scenario, and make a sort of mini-AAR that will hopefully answer some of your questions.

Just out of curiosity is there like a small fdc team with the onmap mortars that's part of the crew? How else do they determine aim for indirect fire?

My understanding is that, wrt U.S. Army TOE at least, that would be the Heavy Weapons Platoon HQ. Although for the 60mm mortars team, at least, I believe the individual mortar teams themselves were also trained to be able to lay their own aim for indirect fire.

Bear in mind that the 60mm mortar of the period had a max range of under 2km, and was usually used at ranges substantially shorter than this, while the modern U.S. 60mm mortar has a range of almost 3.5km. So with the shorter ranged fire, a lot more could be done by seat-of-the pants adjustment.

I was going to start a whole new thread but actually this is a good one to ask this one.

I'm really confused about calling indirect fire with on-map mortars. How can you do this with any degree of flexibility? Whenever I call for fire with one of my HQ units the wait time is in the 3 to 4 minute range... which is a lifetime in a firefight. It seems the only way to really use them effectively is for them to have direct LOS but they usually get shot in a hurry.

Naturally I'm doing something wrong and I know it has to do with the communications system. Help?

Whenever I call for fire with one of my HQ units the wait time is in the 3 to 4 minute range... which is a lifetime in a firefight.

I've run up against this myself. Sometimes I've called for a mission but then canceled it before it could arrive because the tactical situation had changed. My only solution is to try to use foresight and planning, anticipating what your needs are going to be three or four minutes in the future. Not always easy or practical. I've been using my armor for immediate fire support, and that works out well except for those pesky ATGs, which always seem to score one shot one kill. You can run out of tanks fast that way.

Michael

"Sounds like you have the right idea, but something is very off with your execution... that scenario is really not very hard. this weekend, I'll try to take some screenies from my play-through of that scenario, and make a sort of mini-AAR that will hopefully answer some of your questions."

Sorry to contact you this way, but the AIM facility isn't letting me contact you any other way. I'd really like to see that mini-AAR.

German Cpy (and higher) HQ, as well as forward observers can be assumed to have radios at best, realistically.

The odd thing with CMBN C2, ist that neither wire comms, nor messengers/runners are simulated, as basically this was standard comm means in german (infantry) army. Just having radio, voice and hand signal, tells just half the story, the more if thereĀ“s no command delay, unlike in CMX1. Guess this all was left out, due to the real time mode, introduced since CMSF.

Comment removed due to inaccuracy of post.