Voodoo5 5500

Hi, I am new to the board here. I've been playing wargames for years, and CM has got to be the most realistic, less the real ones I played with the 7th Marine Regiment back in the 80s.

I have the VooDoo5 5500 and had some graphic display probs with CM (white-out of small font text, blotching with mouse cursor)but discovered a way around them.

Go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, 3dfx Anti-Aliasing and select Direct 3D, then go down to Anti-Aliasing and select Single Chip Only. Works great, looks absolutely treeemendous.

Hope this helps someone.

Semper Fi,

Alan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Whiteowl:

Works great, looks absolutely treeemendous.

Hope this helps someone.

Semper Fi,

Alan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After playing for half a year with 4x FSAA on, going to single chip looks like **** (no offense). I have been pinging on 3dfx to fix this problem. But if you play 4x FSAA, the text is fine, the mouse problems are still there (but not a big deal). No, the big deal comes when you esc back to the desktop then get back into the game. With 2chips in use, your 2d text in the 3d portion of the game becomes smeared and ureadable. THAT is the problem with 2 chips. With single chip, THAT problem goes away (but so does the FSAA love smile.gif).

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I am glad that you guys have written them. These problems seem to be across the board for 5500 owners regardless of computer set up, processor and what not. It frustrates the hell outta me, but what choice is there?

I love the 4xFSAA as Juardis does and there is no way I could goback to the jaggy original look. Voodoo needs to fix this problem!

Mord.

P.S I think I'll pen them a letter myself. I was going to before but I didn't think they'd take to kindly to the language I was ready to use.

Any help for a new user would be appriciated.

I am trying to get CM to run on a beige G3 macintosh with a Vodoo 5 card that I just purchased. Occasionally I can get the game to run at the lowest resolution, but nothing better.

I have downloaded the latest version of CM (1.05 for Mac) and the latest version of the driver for the Vodoo 5 card from 3dfx.

I have the monitor set at 1152 X 870 (75Hz) and when I try to start the game, I get a black screen with a generic error message saying "Out of scan range" I can hear the music of CM starting in the background, but there is no video at all. Playing around with the video settings does nothing unless I drop it down to the lowest resolution possible.

Is there a way to run CM at higher video resolutions? Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Sean

Guest Madmatt

Sean, You will need to delete the Combat Mission Ovr Bynd Prefs file and try and relaunch the game. CM will not automatically switch resolutions when you change them on the desktop and deleting that file (located at in your Combat Mission folder) will reset the graphics settings allowing you to try a new resolution.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mord:

These problems seem to be across the board for 5500 owners regardless of computer set up, processor and what not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might mention that the Mac V5 driver doesn't have this problem. So, it isn't a hardware problem.

-- Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Sean, You will need to delete the Combat Mission Ovr Bynd Prefs file and try and relaunch the game. CM will not automatically switch resolutions when you change them on the desktop and deleting that file (located at in your Combat Mission folder) will reset the graphics settings allowing you to try a new resolution.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the help, Madmatt.

Unfortunately I am still not able to make it work. I have deleted the preference file in the preferences file in the system folder, but that does not seem to have any effect.

Is there a known setting for the Vodoo 5 card that I should be trying? I have been trying a resolution of 1152 X 870 at a refresh rate of 75Hz. Should I be trying a lower resolution (1024 X 768, 832 X 624, or 800 X 600)? What about the refresh rate? Should I leave it at 75 Hz or attempt a lower refresh rate? What about the color depth - I have it set at millions of colors.

Part of my frustration is that from what I have seen of the game at the lowest resolution is fantastic and I can't wait until I figure out what silly thing I am not doing that is preventing me from enjoying the game at a higher resolution.

Thanks for the help,

Sean

Sean - after deleting the preferences file you should be prompted for the resolution to run when you next launch CM (I'm not absolutely sure of this on the Macs - it definitely happens for PCs with DirectX). Your current resolution and refresh rate should be fine for CM if you're using the full version. If you happen to be using the Demo version, then you may need to reduce your resolution to 1024 x 768 (which I heard was the limit).

You'll also want to use the latest Voodoo driver for the Mac:

Voodoo 4/5 driver (v. 1.1.2, 11-20-2000):

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=2465

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 12-14-2000).]

To Sean...

I have the monitor set at 1152 X 870 (75Hz) and when I try to start the game, I get a black screen with a generic error message saying "Out of scan range" I can hear the music of CM starting in the background, but there is no video at all. Playing around with the video settings does nothing unless I drop it down to the lowest resolution possible.

Sounds like it is a resolution or a HZ problem. Try dropping them down to see what happens.

Don't forget to redo the pref file also each time.

Geoff