I'm sure this has been talked to death.. but I truly miss the MG42 fart.

The sounds seem to have the middle channel maxed, with a high pitch to them. Is this something that Steve and BFC have acknowledged? I would imagine that some of the sounds should have a shallower, deeper sound to them - especially the MG42.

I'm sure someone will figure it out in the modding community, but I've tried all the sound mods so far and I'm afraid that those don't meet the mustard. I read somewhere on the mod forum that even when modulating down the sounds, somehow the sound produced as a result of it being rendered in the sound engine is "still" of the "high-pitch" variety.

I haven't played with it yet, I was going to replace it with a canned MG42 sound, but I figured others have already done this and maybe it's just something that needs to be fixed in the core sound engine... or maybe not?

But then again, maybe Steve and BFC were going after a more realistic "sound report" with small arms and this is actually how it would sound in the field, and that our understanding of the MG42 fart is misunderstood??

I really have no idea...

The sad part is there aren't individual sounds for each weapon, so your M1A1 sound is your M3 sound is your MP40 sound, etc. It'd be nice to have individual sounds for most of the weapons.

Whaaat?

and here i was all exited and stuff about getting back into the soundmodding business...

i guess ill just skip it then...

I am going back a fair way here, to the days when the forum had different colours, and I am sure I remember a thread in which it was explained that the sounds of most of the small arms firing in CMBO were actual recordings of those weapons being fired.

I don't know what the situation is with CMBN, but there is definitely a difference between the sounds of US Browning, .5 cal and the German MGs. The sound of the last is still distinctive enough for me to know that when I hear it one of my units may have a problem and to go looking. I can't say I can tell the difference between a MG34 and a MG42, though.

Hold on....Not all weapons have the same sound file, of course. The Ma Deuce certainly has a distinctive sound in game.

IIRC, there are some classes that share a sound file...for instance, there is one SMG sound, you can't have one for the MP40 and another for the Thompson and Grease gun. I think the same is true for rifles and pistols. I'm not so sure about LMGs.

It's a niggle, but it is kind of fun to catch that distinctive enemy weapon sound while you are "crawling around" the map, and have it alert you that something needs your attention, pronto.

showing the different ROF and sounds of German and American machineguns and SMGs. It's an extremely hokey training bulletin (Hey, those MG42 ammo chewers are nothing to worry about, new guy!) but it does give an interesting audio comparison.