CMBN on Ipad2

I was able to play CM:BN on my Ipad 2

ipad1.jpg

ipad2.jpg

Albeit the controls were very awkward, the motion was definitetly like that on a low-end of the usable scale computer, and the sound had a tendency to cut in and out. Bug? =)

Oh, and you had to have your computer up and running on a wifi network.

Otherwise, it worked fine.

I used this remote desktop app www.splashtop.com

Yep. It's a remote desktop app for the iPad. There are several good ones available now, for remoting either a PC or a Mac desktop. When I tried it (not with CM), the results were much better than I would have expected, actually. And I suspect they're going to to get better rapidly as tablets get faster and more powerful, at least if you have the network connection speed to support it. Fundamentally, the computer is running the game and pushing a video of what's on-screen to the tablet, and the tablet is sending some input info back, as needed. So the bandwith to transmit all that video is usually the limiting factor.

Trickier is how to use a piece of software like CMBN, which is designed mostly for Keyboard & Mouse input, on a device like the iPad that is primarily designed for touch input. But there are ways to adjust for this.

The splashtop app still allows you to access the ipad keyboard in game. If you look at the first screenshot you will see a mini-keyboard icon in the lower right corner. Touch this and it brings up a keyboard that takes up half the screen allowing you to use keyboard commands. Like I said it's all clunky, but it works.

Oh you rascals, living in the future! :D

It looks quite smart and I'll just assume the techno-gubbins aren't witch-craft. I wish I could convince myself that I actually need an iPad.

Just a thought, could I do the same sort of thing with my lappy instead of a desk top?

Yes. There are remote desktop programs that will let you see and control one computer remotely, from another computer.

Again, network bandwidth and speed is critical if you want to play a game such as CMBN like this. Expect some lag, loss of video quality and/or framerate. But it's doable, and probably more acceptable for a pausable strategy game like CMBN than it would be for a FPS or other twitch-heavy game.

Edit: Or did you mean remotely access your laptop, from a tablet? There's less reason to do this, since the laptop is portable, but the remote desktop program doesn't care what kind of chassis the computer it's accessing is residing in. Desktop, laptop, hybrid all-in-one, whatever...

I started experimenting with this on my iPad a month or two ago thinking I could try to play CMBN on the iPad when it came out. But you have to be on the same network (which means I have to be at my house) and no one could use the iMac while I was using it remotely. So I figured if I'm already home and I can't free up the iMac for someone else to use, why not just play on the iMac. What's the advantage except being able to play CMBN while in the library. :)

But you have to be on the same network (which means I have to be at my house) and no one could use the iMac while I was using it remotely. So I figured if I'm already home and I can't free up the iMac for someone else to use, why not just play on the iMac. What's the advantage except being able to play CMBN while in the library. :)

Rumor has it, the company that created splashtop program I use is experimenting with making their program work over over the internet and 3g/4g...

I bought mine for my wife...it says its hers on the back. :D

(In case you weren't aware that Apple inscribes a gift phrase of your choice on the back if you wish.) ;)

They have an inscription on them other than 'All your base are belong to us'? :D

I shouldn't laugh. I had an iPhone which i loved. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy Idiot (I think it's called) and I want my iPhone back.