Question to experienced sound modders

I have sounds from a real Panther tank, moving an stopped that i took from a vidéo.

* did someone tried to use real life sound for mods

* how long is the loop and what format

The idea would be to clean the sound and use it to make a realistic loop for tanks, with real engine and tracks noise.

As there are videos of Tigers, Sherman etc... It could be interesting.

You can make the loop as long as you want but you don't really want it too big. Thirty seconds to a minute is plenty...the important thing is you don't want any breaks in the transition from start of and finish of the file, as it continuously loops. By that I mean the beginning of the sound and the end of the sound should meld decently.

The format is;

PCM

44.1000 Khz

16 bit

mono

Mord.

You are welcome!...Sounds good man, we'll look forward to it.

The unfortunate thing is all the tanks and halftracks will share the same sounds...there's only two move and idle sound files for all tanks and half tracks...."heavy track" and "light track".

Plus side is they might add extra sounds in patches...they did in CMSF.

Mord.

Well i suspected that there was only one sound for all tanks.

Hope they will had more, it was cool to have different sounds for tanks in CMSF.

I think it's also the case for small weapons like rifles.

If i understand well, if i want to test the loop, i name it "heavy track" and put it in de Z folder.

If this works, there are videos of Tiger I and II and a lot of vehicles that i would like to try.

Yep goes in the Z folder, you'll want to name them; "vehicle loop engine idle heavy" and "vehicle loop move heavy track"...they are both self explanatory.

Yeah, they eventually added a few sounds specific to certain vehicle types in CMSF...unfortunately there were still shared sounds with the Syrians which made a few of my US radio mods not as cool as you were hearing American voices coming of of Syrian vehicles. CMA had even less choices, vehicle sound wise.

Mord.

Would a stereo wav work at all?

Nope. The sound is played positionally....that's why sometimes a phrase is louder or quieter depending on your camera position. Stereo will give you a slowed down...dragged out sound...like the dude's voices are warped.

I think background and music wavs are stereo though, if I remember correctly...LOL I should know I've done more than enough background mods! Can't remember.

Mord.

NCH software has easy to use sound tools. Switch Sound File Converter will change a stereo to a mono plus the other things. Free trial

Audacity is freeware and will do it too but more difficult to figure out. Audacity has a loop button too.

I just use plain old sound recorder...I have audacity but use it for other things. No matter what though, I can never get my voice recordings to sound as clean as the ones that came with the game.

Mord.

Does the kbps rate matter?

You can make the loop as long as you want but you don't really want it too big. Thirty seconds to a minute is plenty...the important thing is you don't want any breaks in the transition from start of and finish of the file, as it continuously loops. By that I mean the beginning of the sound and the end of the sound should meld decently.

The format is;

PCM

44.1000 Khz

16 bit

mono

Mord.

• 1 year later...

Just converted the intro music, splash screen and end of battle to some great little numbers from Nine Inch Nails!

Had to use 88.2 kHz, 16 bit, Mono, PCM for the settings for the conversion from MP3 to WAV in CMBN. Other settings generated too much noise although some would say that NIN is too much noise...

Bobo