Test: Cathedral tower takes a lickin'...

To test the resilience of the Cathedral tower, I had it blasted nonstop by a pair of M7 Priests, and it proved equal to the challenge.... 110 rounds of 105 HE direct fire targeted on the second floor and it was still standing after the Priests ran dry (14 minutes in). (they aimed at the top for the first minute, creating the damage up there -- the shooting was accurate).

In contrast, the single story church buildings adjacent to it were both destroyed by collateral damage from a single shot in about minute 5. The surrounding high stone wall also vanished by the end of the bombardment.

FYI.

Church_tower.jpg

I repeated the same test with the large 3 story rectangular church building. It didn't even show light damage until minute 5 and hadn't sustained any worse by the time the M7s ran dry. In contrast the surrounding walls were 100% shattered even though they weren't directly targeted.

I've done the same tests with 500 kg airplane bombs and 14" battleship gun bombardment. The larger church buildings and towers can take a tremendous amount of punishment before even showing any sign of damage. It takes several 500 kg bombs to even wreck the roof of the buildings. Usually barns and commercial buldings, which seem to be the weakest buildings in the game, several blocks away from the explosions get levelled before the ecclesiastical buildings even start to look damaged. Guess the hand of God is at work or sumfink.

Try putting troops in that tower and see how long they last. In a recent scenario, the Germans where positioned in just such a tower and I took them out very easily with small arms fire from about 200 meters away.

I think BF needs to look at the protection given to troops by buildings because it doesn't seem quite right IMHO. I'm glad to see the tower holds up and doesn't collapse easily but logically it should also provide superior cover to troops as well.