Razorback ridge (courage and fortitude campaign)

Bravo, phil stanbridge, for persevering. Many people would give up if they are not overwhelmingly successful--part of why I started this thread was to encourage......Fortitude (moving pixeltruppen around...hard to say that is Courageous.)

And, intrerestingly, it may be possible that you will win the Campaign just by getting your battered troops to La Haye.

I did, for me, a rare cease-fire early in La Haye. I did not look at the enemy troop concentrations (that would have spoiled the scenario for me), but to get a sense of the Campaign Victory conditions. Even at that point, it gave me, I think, a Major Victory. There are also a lot of reinforcements.

I am very much into FOW. I have mixed feelings, however, about not being able to look into the original Campaigns (unless I am wrong...I can see the scenarios in the editor, but I can't see the Campaigns). It would be nice, even in retrospect, to see the triggers and Campaign victory condition level conditions. I like to fully appreciate the work of the designers.

Again, I have mixed feelings. But something like C and F, I just ain't playing it 15 times in order to get data points to deconstruct it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

I have a little tip on holding the toolshed.

I don't put any troops in the farmhouse- they just get chewed up by the MG42's on the ridge above them. I place the MG and the ammo carriers behind the farmhouse, facing into the house. I split up all my squads into assault teams and then split the remaining team, which gives three assault teams- who carry most of the grenades.

One assault team I place between the toolshed and the hedgerow, the other I place on the ridge with an immediate order to move fast down where the hedge-lined path leading up to the hill and to the farm house bends. The third one I place behind the hedgerow at the top of the path. All units firing arcs are 25m max- they will open up on the MG42 on the hill facing them, and that will be enough to get them casualties. I place rifle and rifle/BAR teams with the assault teams, to get maximum defensive firepower. I will post a couple of screenshots of the setup to give a better idea.

Four replays and I have yet to lose the tool shed, and my guys always get lots of kills.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry for reviving this old discussion, but I got started with the game late, so I only now played (and finally won) Razorback Ridge today. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one cursing this mission - had a good laugh over that :)

It seems we have all different experiences with it though. I was confused why people recommended using the cut-off platoon to attack, until I realised that it was only in my personal game that this platoon consisted of about 10 guys, and had no chances of doing anything worthwhile.

Well, now that I finally won the mission, I would like to say that I'm in the group of people who did not really enjoy it.

Both this and many of the other missions in this campaign suffer from what I call the "puzzle syndrome" - the missions feel artificially constrained due to the designer carefully designing the map to be as devious as possible, so the mission becomes more of a labyrinth to solve rather than a believable combat mission. Trial and error starts to become more important than tactical thinking.

And as others have said, the time limit is much too short, especially on WeGo where even the smallest tactical movements take at least a full minute.

So, my verdict is: of the two campaigns included with the game, "Road to Monteburg" is thoroughly enjoyable and decently challenging for people who play by turns and try to do each mission in one go, despite casualties.

"Courage and Fortitude"... is a frustrating slog that seems made for people who like to load and save a lot and restart the mission until they know every nook and cranny of the map, and every emplacement to the point of calling artillery on unspotted positions by memory.

I don't even know if I want to bother with the last mission of the campaign...