Artillery question

I've had an FO in LOS of target and never been fired at call in a mission from onboard mortar (also never been fired at), the second spotting round landed dead on target then third and fourth spotting rounds were progressively further away. The FO then calls FFE and the barrage comes down 150-200 metres from the target.

I have read reports that artillery was very inaccurate and shelling friendly targets was common. In game it is hugely frustrating when it seems so obviously wrong, but maybe in the heat of battle (even if not under direct fire) that is what it was like on the battlefield.

It would we really useful for one of the battlefront team to confirm if artillery modeling is how they intended it or if something has gone wrong in the calculations.

Here are a few possible test variables for those with the time...

Make a partitioned test map.

Buy multiple arty assets and spotters

Experiment with the Experience of spotters AND mortars from green to elite. (Off-map has experience here guys, idk if it is modeled or just a purchase screen leftover though)

Change the Motivation level of all assets.

Experiment with the C2 chain maybe. Is a direct request from the Btn HQ better targeted than a platoon HQ?

I am assuming there is a WWII line of code in the CMSF arty section of the game that is putting in a little fudge factor for the time period.

Perhaps this may need a small adjustment if so?

Maybe an Elite Fanatic +2 Btn HQ will call in a tight strike from an Elite off-map battery, where a Regular FO and Regular battery may spread the love a bit more.

-

Watch 1:35 to 1:55 and then come back to this thread.

;)

I have had similar issues, both with prepared strikes being off target and called barrages with good LOS being off target. If this is not a built in feature, and BFC doesn't already know about it, we will need some saved games or videos to document specific instances.

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem, and I agree that it seems like it's not working as designed. The entire point of having a forward observer and spotting rounds is to have a reasonable chance of hitting a local, tactical target. This is different from larger-scale strategic bombardments of a frontline.

If the spotter is inexperienced and/or has bad C2, then it should simply take longer for the spotting round to reach the target. And when the bombardment hits, it should steadily get closer to the mark, as the FO would keep fine-tuning the aim.

Not asking for laser guided bombs here, just common sense.

This was fixed in a patch, as well as making the rounds land a bit more realistically so far as spread, etc. Is your copy of the game up to date with the latest patch?

I also highly recommend paying the small fee to upgrade to 2.0 if you haven't already done so. It is well worth it.

I have not had any artillery problems since the patch, other than the very rare "lucky" spotting round landing in my FO's shorts! :D

If you are having this sort of problem after patching, I am honestly at a loss, and maybe someone with more technical knowledge can help.