Buying the farm is great , small sized battle

I have played in iron mode

this scenario is great, I have lost two stuart and two was also immobilized

but An american tactical victory , I have skippped from Total victory from my hand because of wrong artillery choice and plan at last minute.

Spoiler alert

beware of mined areas...immobilized my 2 stuart

Yupp, great scenario. The map is a real beauty!

Got a tactical victory too playing Elite and RT, going straight for the right wing.

It was here when i found out that 60mm mortars cant be set to fire during setup(they can sort of but need to be spotted for regardless).

I volunteered to finish this mission off when the original author, Berlichtingen, had to drop out. His original mission was a 30 minute mission and I stuck with that. Thirty minutes is just about perfect for my current taste and I'd love tor see a lot more missions of this size. I'm too worn out now to be bothered playing 4 hour Battalion+ sized actions played on 2kmx2km maps. It just gets you into the thick of the action straight away and you cam play it through a couple of times in a single session.

There are multiple AI plans which mix things up considerably so you might find that playing it again will require you to do something completely different and that right wing smash may not be very effective at all ;)

Gerry

Not just the guns. I think you'll find everything moves in each AI plan, minefields, trenches, foxholes. ;) Only the wire doesn't move as it can seriously screw with the AI player if you chose to play as the Germans (not recommended for this reason alone) Keeps the player guessing where that minefield will be. There are five plans in total and they're all different.

This was the 1st mission I played when I got the game. I agree that it's a beauty. I actually got the Germans to surrender but that never would have happened if it hadn't been for that one Stuart that could (and did!). It reminded me of the old comic book series, "Jeb Stuart and Haunted Tank".

:)

Just spent a few hours playing this one, a great map and an immensely enjoyable scenario. My thanks to Mr. Tiger for another brahma.

--- Spoiler ---

I didn't fancy the look of the terrain directly infront of the set-up zone, nice woods to cover the approach and then what looked to me like a natural killing ground on the approach to the farm. So I went left then across the ploughed field, through the barbed wire and across the next field to hit the farm from the left flank.

Looking at the map, I thought that if I were defending I would have something good at the hedgerow to cover the road and across the field, so I put down a medium/medium 81mm barrage at that point (I would have run it linear along the hedgerow but we know about that bug so I stuck to a tight area fire). Getting my units from the set-up zone to the start line took four minutes before I was ready to go and I was worried about time from the start. So once I was set I went for it.

Getting across the two fields wasn't that much of a problem (I do like the Stuarts, three MGs have a nice line in supressive fire) and there was a very confused but enjoyable fire fight to break into the farm. Don't green squads panic easily? At one point I moved a green unit against a high bocage one the edge of the farm, directly opposite them was a German squad that I thought I had sufficiently supressed. Both units seemed to surprise the other, a quick exchange of fire and they both ran away.

Anyway, thanks to the engineers I blew my way into the farm and had full occupancy with five minutes to go. Squads and MGs on the upper floors of the farmhouse buildings quickly got the better of the German units on the other side of the road and then there was silence for the last three minutes and the seven (7) minutes of extra time.

A total US victory. Looking at the map afterwards I saw a fair number of German units in foxholes and trenches on the otherside of the road (I knew that was a killing ground), but they were all either rattled or broken. As I had had no sight of most of them, let alone fired on them, I found this a little odd.

A really enjoyable scenario. Thank you again Mr. T.

P.S. I was spot on with my initial barrage. There had ben an AT gun in exactly that spot.

P.P.S. Aside from the initial barrage and some direct fire from two 60mm mortars in the late game I didn't use artillery. A green HQ was gong to take 6 minutes to call in fire from a mortar 10 yards behind him and 8 for an off-board 81mm, there wasn't the time to hang about for that long.

The big issue I have at this point is the Green skill level of the American troops, which mean they get spooked very easily. To me, Green implies troops that are either rear-echelon troops pressed into combat or combat troops insufficiently trained for, well, combat. As such, I may tweak the skill level in the editor and may try it again.

I wouldn't read anything into the GREEN experience of the US side in this mission. The Germans are GREEN too in this mission so it's a level playing field. It just happens that I think I see better, and more realistic behaviour in the game when the experience levels are a bit lower. That's all. So if you increase the US experience in the editor, be sure to increase the German's too ;)

That's all. So if you increase the US experience in the editor, be sure to increase the German's too ;)

I may just do that. But before I go down that route, I'm going to give it another try as-is. I know I did some things the first couple of times around that didn't exactly contribute to success. ;)