Multiplayer Question

Hi me and a friende just tried to play the demo online. Here is the question: Is there really no option to play the game via internet and lan in WeGo mode? That was the only mode we were looking forward to. Hot seat an pbem take too long.

Hi me and a friende just tried to play the demo online. Here is the question: Is there really no option to play the game via internet and lan in WeGo mode? That was the only mode we were looking forward to. Hot seat an pbem take too long.

Nope. This has never been something that BFC promised. They've mostly said, "It's on the list, but it's a lot of work and we don't want to delay it that long."

The Features page says:

2-player Game Modes with Realtime over TCP/IP (LAN, Internet), WeGo with PBEM (Play by Email) or Hotseat

Pretty clear that WeGo over TCP/IP isn't an offering. Yet.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to play it via LAN. All that matters is that the file gets to the other computer, doesn't matter how that happens. E-mail, dropbox, LAN...you could even stick in on a memory stick and walk it to the other computer if you so wished.

They are working on it. Might be another 3-4 years though.:(

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to play it via LAN. All that matters is that the file gets to the other computer, doesn't matter how that happens. E-mail, dropbox, LAN...you could even stick in on a memory stick and walk it to the other computer if you so wished.

What do you mean by 'it' in your first sentence?

If 'it' refers to the game, then yes, you can play the game via LAN.

If 'it' refers to WEGO, then no. WEGO is a specific mode which is not supported in multi-player.

You could used shared folders over a LAN if you wish to get close to the WEGO experience. You'd still be playing 'PBEM' mode though.

Yes, that is what a meant. A PBEM game where a shared folder was used, over a LAN, to transfer the files instead of an e-mail client. I apologise for my lack of clarity earlier, I had assumed that by refering to a transfer of files from one maching to another that I had made myself clear, but I appear not to have. Thank you for pointing this out. :)

Also remember with a LAN shared folders you both can't actually work on your orders at the same time like some games.

What we do with are wargmaing club is set up several machines and hotseat multiple battles at once. So everyone is literally hotseating. I thought I would never hotseat ever since CMBO but hey with CMSF it was back in vogue.....well sort of ;)

every more or less good or bad game these days has a "normal" onlinegaming option.

no idea why it is such a big problem with this game.

also freeware games are able to play online.

empire, napoleon, red orchestra and also the super old game totalwar rome has a working possibility to play online with others.

battlefield vietnam oder more older versions also easely work online.

i dont want to show much mor older examples, but i really dont understand why this programmers here are not able top realize a feature, which is common since more then 10 years ???

So, the TCP/IP using WeGo, (which was the standard back in CMBO-CMBB) is no longer supported?

Guess I should have saved some cash. :(

That was my also my first thought. I thinks it seems kind of odd to keep a mode like playing by email an cancel the only mode I really wanted to play. I know I should have informed myself but it just never crossed my mind that this would not be implemented.

It has been discussed for years with the CMSF engine about the WEGO/Replay option or even a pause in the RT gaming.

BF's stance is that more important features take precedence over what they believe is a vocal but extremely small following.

IMHO for a company that created "WEGO" I was very surprised that CMSF's engine removed this option.

I was just reading an old review from CMBB and the reviewer was amazed at the WEGO option in the game. Called it revolutionary! Times have changed I guess.

Best we can hope with the next major engine overhaul in 2-4 years it might be in?

Your guess is as good as mine. I don't think modules usually have any major feature changes.

I think Steve is a little ticked at MP's so we better keep a low profile. He might even take PBEM away from us if we are not well behaved :)

The multi-player aspects have kept many many games going long after the single player has worn thin.

I find it very hard to believe a small but vocal group that wants better MP. Any figures provided to back that up would probably be based on faulty, if not misleading data. You couldn't use the MP in their current products as a comparison, as only the most dedicated players would put up with their archaic MP capabilities. Most people would just give up on it.

The fact is, their MP out and out blows.

That was my also my first thought. I thinks it seems kind of odd to keep a mode like playing by email an cancel the only mode I really wanted to play. I know I should have informed myself but it just never crossed my mind that this would not be implemented.

Ditto.

Guess being gone for 5 years or so was a mistake. WeGo was what made CM CM...

dito here. just saw in the game features section, that there is multiplayer and never thought about the possibillity that these multiplayer will be crap.

realized it after i bought the game. if i would have realized it before, i wouldnt have bought this game.

but for fĂ¼rther comming modules i know it and will save my money

It used to be.

As a programmer, it just seems weird to have had to take it out at whatever point they took it out.

Not really sure what Steve was thinking when he took it out. I guess it was easier for Charles to code and the time they saved could go into pretty stuff ;)

IIRC it seems like a major issue for coding to even just get a Pause in the RT MP game mode. I think it was an oversight on BF's. Obviously they don't :D

HAve to keep supporting them though or we will be left with the likes of PCO. Mind you I tried the demo it was "ok" kinda a CMBB++.

BF will come through in the end. It will just take time.

So we try to arrange ourselves with the circumstances. Thinking about starting a game by bicycle courier and an usb stick. Maybe smoke signals. I tried some scenarios in single player and the game really rocks but the ai seems not too challenging. Sadly but true this seems to be just another franchise getting flawed by too much real time.

I agree the AI like any game in the last 25 years I have played is limited. Good designers can cover up the AI. Usually they set up the map with restricted terrain and the only way to advance are sure to be kill zones. You know it but there is usually not much you can do to limit it... Gets frustrating at times. Playing a human is always the best!!

On the offense the AI is.....well at best a 14 year old MP player :)

Without "WEGO" over TCP/IP there is no possibility that I and my friends will buy this game. We gave "Realtime" a try and for us this was way too fast and to confusing. I simply can`t attack on two flanks simultaneously like I did in CMBB nearly all the time. This is a real gamebreaker to me and I wont buy a game just to play singleplayer.

I tried a realtime battle too and it seems to work ok in a small scale battle but it´s just a unplayable in a medium or bigger battle. The camera controls are so cranky that I loose track on my units immediately.

I tried a realtime game today with a buddy and we just gave up. Might as well have been playing Starcraft. Without WEGO or a pause button, it just wasn't playable for us. We'll use PBEM instead.

It's unfortunate that Battlefront spent so little effort on making the multiplayer easy to use. As cool as the game is in so many different areas, the multiplayer is years behind what we would expect.

What were they thinking . . .