Serious slowdowns w/ CMBB and GeForce FX 5200

I am encountering major slowdowns with CMBB on my new GeForce FX 5200. The slowdowns only seem to occur when there are unit bases, lines, text,or unit info boxes are on the screen. I belive this is related to the color compression routines, as all of the above icons have changed colors since the new card has been installed. This has also happened with both stock and the latest drivers as well. If anyone can give me any pointers on how it can be fixed, I would be very appriciative.

I am also encountering the same problem. Originally, I was having this problem with an earlier GE force card until the first patch came out. It was fixed. Of course, a year later my friend picks up an extra FX 5200 card - all excited I install it and there it is - back again. This problem only occurs in between turns on CMBB. I'd really appreciate some help here - the time it takes to load is excruciatingly slow. :(

Jim.

I'm going to double check the update - I thought I did upgrade to the 44.03 but I might be wrong.

As well, could you post a list of your settings for CMBB if it's not a problem - maybe I have something set incorrectly. These blasted cards always seem to get more and more complex.

Thx! Your help is much appreciated.

Jim.

• 5 months later...

Which driver version are you running ? The latest drivers I see that are specific to the GeForce FX Go series are 44.22 from Guru 3D (Videocard Drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers > 2nd page). You could also likely find an updated driver from your laptop manufacturer, though they don't see the frequent updates that the desktop reference drivers do. The desktop reference drivers usually don't have support for the GeForce Go series. It might be possible to get a hacked copy of the drivers that will install and recognize the Go series, but there may be problems with that (though these drivers should usually work).

No, I don't know where to get any drivers hacked for the GeForce Go series (if they exist). Some of the latest drivers for various laptops with the NVidia Go series are here (44.xx - 45.xx series for the Go).

The latest driver I see on Toshiba's website is 43.36 for the Satellite 5205-S705. This driver may still have performance problems.

I also found one for the Dell Inspiron 8600 (if this link doesn't work, just browse for that model in the support.dell.com site and select the 'nVidia GeForceFX Go 5650' driver). This version is 45.81, which should hopefully be an improvement of sorts.

[ January 14, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

You did uninstall, completely, the previous drivers, correct ? By that I mean rebooting and having the videocard detected as a 'VGASave' (generic VGA) device under XP before installing the new driver. This is a process you should perform each time you're upgrading a driver, just to make sure that no previous remenants are affecting what you're seeing (usually this is the case when there's a major revision in the drivers such as going from the 3x.xx to the 4x.xx series of Detonators).

However it is possible that you'll have bad performance on a laptop with some of the GeForce FX Go's. You do have Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering turned off, correct ?

Just how 'unplayable' is the CM series on your laptop ? What resolution are you playing CM at ?Are you playing particular scenarios that are unplayable or is this just any small QB, etc. ? If you use FRAPS to measure your framerate, what do you get ? I don't know what kind of effect you'll see performance-wise if you reduce your vertical refresh rate. Generally it should be next to nothing, but on occasion it can make a slight difference.

[ January 16, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Yes I did everything you told me- right now I'm using the fxgo 5650 driver from the dell homepage you suggested- the speed of the game has increased a wee bit in my opinion but it's still far from playable :-( I uninstalled all drivers completely before trying a new one and I turned off all AA and filtering stuff... what I noticed is that the game gets extremely slow during the setup phase when there are lots of lines and unit bases displayed. During the turns there is a slight increase in performance though.

I've had poor graphics performance with my Toshiba laptop using nvida Geforce2go chipset. The problem was the old drivers (which Toshiba never updates). I did manage to update my drivers by going here:

http://www.geocities.com/madtoast/

You'll need to download a recent driver and a .inf file. Follow the install instructions on that website carefully. Basically you'll extract the video drivers into a directory like: c:\nvidia\win2kxp\52.16

Then copy the toshiba .inf file into the above dir then use the windows update video driver and direct it to that directory. Good luck.