Oh man! We need PBEMH style support!

I've been using PBEMH forever to manage CMx1 PBEM games.

I'd totally forgotten what a hassle it is saving the files in the right place from the email, firing up the game, entering the password, creating the outgoing message etc etc.

Is anyone doing anything about this?

I'd be happy to frig with PBEMH to get it to work and/or create a new little app but there's one little problem: how to fire up CMBN itself and tell it what has to be done.

PBEMH solved this with some cool magic of pressing the buttons for you, based on knowing where they are or what they are called. I haven't been able to find a way of doing that these days. Does anyone know how?

The alternative would be for CMBN to support command line options for these things: then a helper program would be a piece of cake...

GaJ

You can do it with one click

- use firefox

- download the tool: "save link in folder" (now version 1.5.3)

- set up CMBN incoming in the above tool

- when you get the ema file just left click and use the drop down link this tool gives you to select "cm incoming" to save it there.

- for convenience have shortcuts to incoming and outgoing folders on your desktop (you still can't delete files from within CM :mad:)

This is almost as easy as using PBEMH, certainly a whole lot easier to setup.

- and a 'ta' to Sergie for putting me on to this tool.

edit to add: heres the linky to 'save link in folder'

If you have Win7 (and I believe Mac has a similar feature) you can make a library of your outgoing emails. This is a virtual folder that lets you see the content of all the "real" folders added to the library. When uploading outgoing files, you no longer have to click through the file system. This is handy if you're other PBEM games.

Hi Sivodsi, that's barely half of what PBEMH does.

That just gets the incoming file in the right place. What about starting up CMBN, selecting the correct game from that ever-growing list, and typing in the password? What about one click to send the outgoing file to the opponent?

This is the support that I'm talking about.

A good PBEMH will automatically connect to some service like sendthisfile.com and use it to send the file to the oppo with one click.

All this can be done: but either someone needs to know how to write a program to press another program's buttons (which I haven't been able to crack) or CMBN needs a command line option to start up a given game.

GaJ

Hi Sivodsi, that's barely half of what PBEMH does.

That just gets the incoming file in the right place. What about starting up CMBN, selecting the correct game from that ever-growing list, and typing in the password? What about one click to send the outgoing file to the opponent?

This is the support that I'm talking about.

A good PBEMH will automatically connect to some service like sendthisfile.com and use it to send the file to the oppo with one click.

All this can be done: but either someone needs to know how to write a program to press another program's buttons (which I haven't been able to crack) or CMBN needs a command line option to start up a given game.

GaJ

PBEMH actually faked screen clicks, so it would open and click through the menus same as you.

I'd prefer a built-in one, certainly more than WEGO TCP/IP, but not as much as multi-core support.

Not going to happen in this engine though I'm sure, so if there's some bright spark out there..?

I really don't find it all that hard, I use the Win7 Library thing like pixie and then upload through Skydrive.

What I could do too is synchronise the outgoing email folder to a Skydrive folder but I prefer to have more control over it that that.

I have also set CMSF to be the default program that opens *.ema files but it only opens the program it will not autoload the game.

It's not hard but it is tedious. And who wants to be remembering passwords and who's email is what, and which game is up to where. That's what PBEMH takes care of.

I wasn't meaning to say that CMBN the game should support this built in.

What I'm looking for is someone doing something like PBEMH. It could be me, if no-one else is already. Unfortunately fuerte disappeared, so PBEMH itself won't be updated.

The problem with me doing it is that I don't know how to make a program click another program's buttons. Any clues out there?

In the absence of that, I'd need command line arguments for CMBN if I was to do it...

GaJ

If you have Win7 (and I believe Mac has a similar feature) you can make a library of your outgoing emails. This is a virtual folder that lets you see the content of all the "real" folders added to the library. When uploading outgoing files, you no longer have to click through the file system. This is handy if you're other PBEM games.

Can you give more details about this?

Thx

jonpfl

Can you give more details about this?

Thx

jonpfl

Open windows Explorer and right click on "Libraries".

New -> Library

Create a new library , I call mine CMSF.

Right click on the CMSF (CMBN or whatever you called it) Library and the go to "Include Folder" and add the folders that you want to have in the list.

This gives you quick access to each folder (Incoming Email and Outgoing Email) and also you can see all of the files within in one view.

To my mind this is the best new feature in Win 7, I use it a lot for work where you can easily find files within a complex folder system.

I can have a project folder with a whole heap of sub-folders for each job that contains more sub folders for PDF, DOC and Autocad etc files. In the library list I can set it up so I list my files by type or job etc.

I really don't find it all that hard, I use the Win7 Library thing like pixie and then upload through Skydrive.

What I could do too is synchronise the outgoing email folder to a Skydrive folder but I prefer to have more control over it that that.

I have also set CMSF to be the default program that opens *.ema files but it only opens the program it will not autoload the game.

Is there somewhere that give instructions step by step for this? Sounds interesting....